Question on gun shot reaction - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think this went from purposeful gunshots around a dog for training and competition purposes that require it, to a thread about noise sensitive dogs, but I guess in each case, there are similarities when it comes to exposing a dog to external noise stimuli.

To the people who have the noise sensitive dogs: Have you tried the CD's they have for helping to cure noise sensitivities? I have no idea how well they work, since I have never needed or used one, but I imagine it would be worth a try.
www.vandesterke.com
Tim Connell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Your dog did not exhibit the classic reaction of gunshyness. Your dog was distracted to a strange noise.. Gunshyness in the true sense is a dog that is nervy.Meaning has weak nerves. It is genetic.They behave in an obvious manner. Scared silly and looking for somewhere to go. Avoidance behavior. That is why we test potential police k9s for gunshyness. Our Retrievers for field trial and hunt tests as well. A truly gunshy dog cannot be trained to withstand it. Your dog is a pup. Proceed with patience and dont let folks make the training field sound like Kabul.
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com

Last edited by ladylaw203; 01-10-2012 at 08:42 AM.
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the responses. It has been a while but I thought I'd follow up.
Kato has become pretty much neutral to gunshots now. One of the things I did was to train at home with a small cap gun (not as loud as the blank gun we use at PSA training), firing it during his down stays etc. I also randomly fired it in the house and basically threw him a party each time. He became accustomed to the sound and no longer finds it an issue at all including the louder blank gun we use at training.
TechieDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Good job with the training!

My wife is a youth shot gun instructor and we have taken Ruger to the range regularly since he was 12 weeks old. He never showed reaction to gun shots. However this past 4th of July he became very excited about the black cats that my son shot off. He ran over and tried to attack the smoking spot in the ground where they were lit. I sure hope this doesn't affect how he reacts during his trial. I guess we need to take a trip back out to the range to test him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.