German Shepherds Forum banner

German Shepherd French Ring Video

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  x11 
#1 ·
#2 ·
dog put up a great fight at 12 mins but i did not get what was going on at just under 9 mins, did the dog get run off or was that a cease attack thing? my sound card is dead.

the dog did the wall and jumps good right there would be too much for most german shepherds i beleive except the ones in conformation trails who apparently have the correct and superior structure....

he beat that decoy good on the OG

i don't know man the dogs whole overall appearance seemed to me to be one of general disinterest??? was looking all over the place and walking like it was going for a evening walk around the block. did you get that impression???

timed out at around 12 mins, will watch the rest later.

anyhoo done what most gsd's can't or havent't so full credit to the dog, just a question about his attitude as mntioned, whats yr take on it?

#5 · (Edited)
dog put up a great fight at 12 mins but i did not get what was going on at just under 9 mins, did the dog get run off or was that a cease attack thing? my sound card is dead.

the dog did the wall and jumps good right there would be too much for most german shepherds i beleive except the ones in conformation trails who apparently have the correct and superior structure....

he beat that decoy good on the OG

i don't know man the dogs whole overall appearance seemed to me to be one of general disinterest??? was looking all over the place and walking like it was going for a evening walk around the block. did you get that impression???

timed out at around 12 mins, will watch the rest later.

anyhoo done what most gsd's can't or havent't so full credit to the dog, just a question about his attitude as mntioned, whats yr take on it?
Well, I did observe the same thing, however, I do not know if the intense focus is as important in FR as it is in IPO. It is a very long trial. The dog was engaged when action was asked of him. The wall looked pretty hard to get over but I have to give the dog credit. I could not have done it as easily.

I am pretty sure what you are talking about around min 9 was a call back because he did not really run off the field he just kind of took a wide circle back to the handler and went right back into the heel position.

#4 ·
I think he was being sarcastic.

As for the dog checking out. I don't know what they look for in French Ring. In IPO that would certainly cost you a lot of points. Correct me if I'm wrong, the dog has done all the obstacles correctly, to me that is more important than having lazer focus.

All that tail wagging, lazer focus doesn't mean much when the dog can't do the obstacles correctly.

#8 ·
In a sport that is dominated by Malinois, any GSD (or any other breed for that matter) that has the physical structure, stamina, and ability to make it to Ring III is a pretty good dog, in my book.

The expectation of obedience in Ring is far "looser" than a sport like IPO. Also bear in mind that the dog does obedience, (including jumps and walls), and immediately after does the bitework. It's about a 45 minute routine for Ring III, so that's a lot of stamina necessary for the dog to work that long of a duration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.