Snap snap, chomp chomp!!! Your thoughts on raising a working dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snap snap, chomp chomp!!! Your thoughts on raising a working dog.

If anyone has followed. I have a 14 week old male GSD. He is a blend of Czech working line and American show line. He physique and drive lean more toward working than anything else. I am no expert when it comes to GSDs. I am having him evaluated for PSA/Schutzhund work today. When we bought him the breeder even said he was geared toward “work” and he was going to be a handful, so we were aware of that.

Here is where it gets tricky. We had been putting too much pressure on him and we started seeing a negative effect. In the last week we stopped all correction and he has really turned it around. He is full of life again, bouncing, playing, serious drive, and confidence, but it’s like living with a dang snapping turtle! I understand the concept of not correcting for biting and +R for good behavior but my wife and daughter are not happy and are questioning this method. When he is with me it is more work oriented and I can redirect his drive. Granted he still gets me every now and then when we are roughhousing but for the most part I can stay one step ahead of him. My family on the other hand want to be a little more lovey-dovey and they are catching the brunt of his mouthiness. Well heck, as you all know if you sit cross-legged on the floor in shorts and no shoes on your asking for it. My wife is still very supportive and being open minded but I understand her concerns. I just wish I had some answers for her. Will this subside with training? When do we introduce pressure and correction? Hopefully tonight’s visit will get some questions answered and quench some of her concerns.

Oh and before anyone chimes in on obedience. We work on obedience three times a day for about 10-15 min and he does well. He’s just a snappy little buggar….

-Kaptain Jägermeister Von Sturm
SystemCritical is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I take it you have had the pup since it was 8 weeks old. That dog should have never seen any form of correction. GSD's are as many have said, "land sharks" and that is the price you pay when going with the breed.

That puppy doesn't doesn't need to see any pressure at all. As far as a correction I personally don't give mine any. I just redirect and teach them the word no. I never use the word "no" when they are biting, even if it is me who it is sinking its teeth in. I just redirect and if I am getting annoyed I crate them.

OB 3x a day for 10-15 minutes session is a lil long for me. I keep it at about 5 minutes tops and never formal as I don't want them to feel pressure and stress.

If you feel like you and your family are having too much concern, consider taking the puppy back and getting a older puppy in which they are out of that stage.
Ace952 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

WE all make mistakes, all we can do is change our ways. So as of now, no correction, just redirect. We have had him since 6 weeks old and love him to bits. He's is awesome. Not at all a negative in our life. Just a handfull. Would never even consider taking him back. He's a part of our family. Just looking for some advice on how to curb it. Thanks...

-Kaptain Jägermeister Von Sturm
SystemCritical is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

does the breeder have a lot or any experience in working . I ask because generally a Czech dog would not be taken to an American show by a working person. You may get a bit of a hybrid confusion .

What do you consider a lot of pressure, what did you do. You said you stopped all correction and he bounced back to life. Correction is not punishment . Correction is a molding of behaviour to a correct response . Are you saying this is what shut the dog down - . If he were "harder" in his nature that would roll off his back like water off the proverbial duck.That is what I mean about the hybrid character -- he may be yahooo drivey , but will be inhibited or submissive when you impose your agenda .
I have dogs for work and they do have lots of drive . The one thing I don't have is a confused dog that thinks I am their toy , or family members are there for bites .
Do you not think rough housing with the dog and inviting him to confront you, beat you, bite you, and then you limit him is confusing to the dog . Dogs are pretty black and white , not so much conditional .
Ask your breeder to recommend a local training club.
Carmen
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
does the breeder have a lot or any experience in working . I ask because generally a Czech dog would not be taken to an American show by a working person. You may get a bit of a hybrid confusion .

What do you consider a lot of pressure, what did you do. You said you stopped all correction and he bounced back to life. Correction is not punishment . Correction is a molding of behaviour to a correct response . Are you saying this is what shut the dog down - . If he were "harder" in his nature that would roll off his back like water off the proverbial duck.That is what I mean about the hybrid character -- he may be yahooo drivey , but will be inhibited or submissive when you impose your agenda .
I have dogs for work and they do have lots of drive . The one thing I don't have is a confused dog that thinks I am their toy , or family members are there for bites .
Do you not think rough housing with the dog and inviting him to confront you, beat you, bite you, and then you limit him is confusing to the dog . Dogs are pretty black and white , not so much conditional .

Ask your breeder to recommend a local training club.
Carmen
YES exactly this! Great post Carmen!
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

thanks!
anyway there is a duplicate thread on this currently running Your thoughts on raising a working GSD.
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I'm closing this thread as there is a duplicate in the SchH section and multiple threads on the same topic aren't necessary and get confusing.

-Admin
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.