Wow!!! What a 180!! No more "No's" did it. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Wow!!! What a 180!! No more "No's" did it.

After reading quite a few posts and talking with Darryl and Rod we have taken a 180 on our training tactics and so has Jäger's response.

My wife an I have always raised and trained our own dogs. They have always been well mannered dogs. Never much of a problem. We had always used typical bite inhibition techniques for biting and the strong use of "No" in our training. As much as this worked on other dogs I was starting to see some negative affects on my new boy. He looked almost confused, almost sad. He still had some great prey drive and confidence but I was seeing things change. We were also beginning to see submissive signs (peeing) as well. I knew we had to re-think things.

Again, after talking to trainer and reading everyone's posts we switched it up. The new phrase in our house is no "No's" for Jäger. Only +R and ingore the bad or redirect. Just after a week I have my 150mph dog back. He drives like crazy for a ball, treat, or tug. Confidence is good too. I can throw a pot cover on tile floor behind him and he just turns around, smells it, and tries to gnaw on the metal. Well worth the extra nips and holes in some clothes.

We even walk off leash now (controlled environment) and he stays right by us. He even tracks my scent back to the house. My wife didn't beleive that until I made a point of weaving through some trees. On the way back, yup you guessed it, he had is nose down and weaved through the same stand of trees. My wife exclaimed "How cool!!".

Tonight was "Whack a dog"and he loved it!!

Anyway, enough of my rant. Thanks to everyone for their input on this forum. Without it, it could have spelled disaster.

-Kaptain Jägermeister Von Sturm
SystemCritical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is awesome. Really cute puppy. We are getting a WLGSD puppy in 3 weeks. We have little kids, so the redirecting the biting and chewing is going to be HUGE. We know that we can't reprimand him, as this is what he was bred for and it is his instinct and will only frustrate him. I have already spent too much money on chew toys and tug toys

Good luck on the evaluation and training!
meldleistikow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just be prepaired. That little sucker is gonna get you regardless. I just wish I would have found this forum before we started. I kick myself for some of the mistakes I have made.

One time he was in the car and we were getting out. I was using a tug to entice him to come to the edge well when he went for the tug he got the webbing in between my thumb and finger and actually went all the way through. I yelled, grabbed his muzzle till he yelped and yelled "NO!!!". Now I think back and realize what trust and confidence buzz that was. What an idiot!! Needless to say, we are working on coming to the edge again.

All I can do is make the change and move forward. I think we are headed in the right direction.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

we all make mistakes, but it's important to learn how to teach and guide your dog. i too, have learned this the hard way. i guess they are like humans...we all have different styles of learning. i also stopped saying "no" 99% of the time after i realized it just gets my dog crazy and fired up. now when he hears the word "no" he knows he better stop whatever he is doing.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

That's great that he turned around so fast!

I think Rayne barely heard a word of discouragement, or "no", her first 4 months of life........it about killed me, literally. My arms and hands were so bruised and scratched up. But it was worth it, I learned so much and she is now the most confident dog I've ever had, even after integrating boundaries and corrections at the right time.

And believe me, I have made many, MANY mistakes in the 8 months I've had her. I have wanted to bang my head against a wall so often, and it's because I was mad at myself, not her. But you definately have the right attitude! Recognize your mistakes, fix it, and move on.

'Rayne' Karma v. Wildhaus, PSA1
Klamari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure if it is a complete turnaround but its definately as step in the right direction. The hardest part is getting my wife and daughter onboard. Needless to say they don't have quite the pain threshold as I do. They still drop a "no" every now and then. And, since my daugher homeschools she is at home with him without my guidance. I have basically told her if you feel you have to say "no", crate him.

I would rather him be in his crate most of the day if it means getting the right kind of interaction when he IS out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.