German Shepherds Forum banner

Obedience training

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  WateryTart 
#1 ·
I have started training for rally obedience with Maggie and she picked it up really quick as far as basics go. Not sure what to expect so I need some help. What does she need to know? What do I need to know?

Maggie after a long day of practice. (She loves every minute especially jumping and retrieving.)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Rally is awesome!! That's what I enjoyed most with my boy. To be honest, most mistakes in rally are made by the handler not reading the sign correctly or forgetting the route of the course. Pretty much read the sign and go. One of the "more difficult" tasks is heeling backwards, but you won't have to worry about that one for abit. What does she know now? Heel including through turns, sit, down? Are you working with a group or on your own?

Rachael & Solo from KS

#3 ·
So far she knows sit, down, come, down stay, sit stay, and she will jump a hurdle on command but we are still working on the retrieving part so for now we just have fun with it. And I do work with an obedience trainer once a week but mostly we practice by our selves.

#5 ·
Whether you do WCRL Rally or AKC Rally, there is no jumping or retrieving in Level 1 or Rally Novice.

Focus on fronts, right finish (around behind you), left finish, sit walk around, down walk around ect. You can find the signs on either organization's website.

If you want to do traditional obedience you still start in novice and still no jumping or retrieving. You would set up two cones to practice the figure 8 pattern, practice having her sit and stay while you go face her at the end of the leash. This would be preparation for the sit for exam if you do BN

Or same exercise at a stand stay for Novice. Traditional novice has group stays so you need a class to practice with, or you can do preferred novice with no group exercises.

Your best bet is to find a class to practice with, either a local kennel club or a local dog training org that has obedience classes.

Then you need to proof your work in strange places with strange people, dogs, ect. Because a trial is not like working in your backyard.

#8 ·
If it AKC rally you're looking at then http://www.akc.org/events/rally/ hope this comes through right. Also shows are a lot for your dog to take in. I would recommend going to one before entering and even then count your first entry or two as training. Your dog may have a hard time adjusting to the level of distractions at the event, so don't expect 1st place or even getting your leg in your first couple events. Just remember it's all about having fun, so make sure that's always what you do.

Rachael & Solo from KS

#9 ·
If it AKC rally you're looking at then Rally - American Kennel Club hope this comes through right. Also shows are a lot for your dog to take in. I would recommend going to one before entering and even then count your first entry or two as training. Your dog may have a hard time adjusting to the level of distractions at the event, so don't expect 1st place or even getting your leg in your first couple events. Just remember it's all about having fun, so make sure that's always what you do.

Rachael & Solo from KS
We are having fun. And I don't expect 1st place on our first time out. I will probably go watch one like you said, it sounds fun. Sunday I took her to the beach to train so that she would get used to the noise, people, dogs, and new smells and she did surprisingly well. She acted like we were the only ones there! And she had never been to the beach before. I am proud of my girl!

Thank you!

#10 ·
I talked to the obedience trainer yesterday and he said a rally competition is a good idea so I went to akc and they are holding one near my area March 18 which gives us about a month to practice if I decide to do it. What do you guys think? Trainer says that he thinks she can do it. I asked Maggie what she thought of it... lol

Attachments

#11 ·
The best thing to do would be to try and find run throughs somewhere so you can see if you know all the signs and your dog is prepared to work in that environment.

WCRL has a puppy class that is shorter, has fewer signs/exercises, and allows for reward more than their other classes (verbal reward or food reward). That's how I started my boy and it was great for him. Luring or carrying food in your had is an NQ but you can give a small treat after the completion of a stationary exercise. I think in puppy they even allow you to give food rewards between exercises.

#12 ·
If Maggie is AKC you will need that number to enter her. And entries are usually three weeks in advance. If she doesn't have an AKC number you will have to get an ILP number for her. If you go to an Obedience Match you shouldn't need numbers. Obedience matches are the best way to start out. You can see where you need to work more and are less expensive. Depending on how old she is, watch having her do jumps. You don't want a puppy or very young dog doing jumps.

#13 ·
you might find practice events called run through's, show n go, or fun matches. I highly recommend them. We completely bombed our first run thru...but ended on a good note and managed to do okay in our first trial.

I am planning to try beginner novice with my boy. There is a trial in May, but that same kennel club is doing show n go's in March and April. I am going to take him to the March one and see how he does. If he does ok and there is still room in the trial I will enter him. If he isn't ready or the trial fills then I will try again over the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.