German Shepherds Forum banner

Bob's turn!

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dogma13 
#1 ·
Well now it's Bob's turn for his first trial!
Just entered him in his first rally trial!
I'm more nervous about this than any other dog event I've entered!

We have a month to bust our butts working on FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS! And of course our lefts!

Tips and advice welcome :)

Here's a picture of the ham ? Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice picture!He's so handsome!We had our first Rally trial last weekend.The course was so much easier than what we practiced in class.Everybody was very nice and supportive, very low key.They did excellent,advanced,novice, in descending order.Same basic course but the stewards go in and change the signage for the different levels.The judge could get through about 12 teams per hour,so if you count the entries you can time your arrival so you won't be way too early but still have time to acclimate.

I found it most helpful to practice the signs alone so there's no hesitation on your part to confuse your dog.

Samson slammed into my leg a couple of times on the weave(darn lefts!)Only lost two points there so no biggie.The judges aren't going to expect perfection at novice level so you'll be fine I'm sure!

Three people did NQ though.Two for a constantly tight leash and one fellow corrected his dog with a leash pop at the start sign.Automatic NQ for that.

Looking forward to hearing about Bob's first trial!

#5 ·
Three people did NQ though.Two for a constantly tight leash and one fellow corrected his dog with a leash pop at the start sign.Automatic NQ for that.

Looking forward to hearing about Bob's first trial!

This is another one I'm afraid of - tight leash! ? we are working on it this week and he's getting a bit better. But I know that's were we are going to get dinged points. I just want to get the first trial under our belt and then stress about th fine tuning after that.
I'm not going in with high expectations just want to have a blast with him :)

Thanks for the timing advice! I was wondering how I would figure out how early to show up.

#8 ·
Good luck! We go to our first run through tomorrow night, and mine are both entered next weekend. Will also be our first time traveling in the camper AND traveling period for the puppy. So I am also a nervous wreck and frankly not expecting much.

We have taken no classes lol...we are also just trying to get that first trial out of the way (and frankly not expecting to qualify here, I don't think they have had enough practice off my property)

Good luck!!

#10 ·
Good luck! We go to our first run through tomorrow night, and mine are both entered next weekend. Will also be our first time traveling in the camper AND traveling period for the puppy. So I am also a nervous wreck and frankly not expecting much.

We have taken no classes lol...we are also just trying to get that first trial out of the way (and frankly not expecting to qualify here, I don't think they have had enough practice off my property)

Good luck!!

Good luck to you!!
I definitely went through classes with Bob we are prepared for all the way up to excellent.
Classes were definitely beneficial, quite different than your obedience you do at home.

Let us know how you do

#11 ·
So yesterday was Bob's first rally trial!!!

We entered in 2 trials.
Our morning one was a flop.
We got excused for constant tight leash, and me giving a leash correction. It was almost instinctual ... I'm sure someone dropped a treat at one of the stationary signs.... He would not get his nose off the ground ! Needless to say I was pretty bummed.

Thought for our afternoon trial I would just take him in for the experience... I mean I paid for the entry why not.

We ended up with a 4th and a 185 Q!!!! I was SHOCKED when she called his name for his ribbon!!
What a great way to end the day!

Working on a loose leash has been Bob's challenge from day one.... We are getting there ... But we know what to work on! View attachment 372521

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.