German Shepherds Forum banner

First Rally Trial!!

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
We got second place!92 points!Woot!I actually thought it was an easier course than ones we had been practicing in class.Samson slammed into my leg twice and got up from his halt down too early,but he did really well.Especially since it was a brand new venue for us with lots of unfamiliar people and dogs.He has always been distrustful of strangers and he's come such a long way this past year,learning to deal with it and put his trust in me.I'm very proud of my boy.
The dogs that did best were a couple of whippets and a bulldog believe it or not!That bulldog surprised and impressed everyone,lol!
It was really fun and we'll be going for his title in September?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I was at first too.The dogs can do it,but the owners screw up when they aren't prepared and hesitate or get flustered.Practice doing the exercises by yourself and memorize the signs.It's like riding a bike or playing an instrument.You develop muscle memory.I had fun and wasn't nervous at all.Everyone was friendly and supportive of each other:smile2:
A few people lost so many points for having a tight leash that they didn't qualify.
You'll do fine!Keep us posted!

#10 ·
So yesterday was Bob's first rally trial!!!

We entered in 2 trials.
Our morning one was a flop.
We got excused for constant tight leash, and me giving a leash correction. It was almost instinctual ... I'm sure someone dropped a treat at one of the stationary signs.... He would not get his nose off the ground ! Needless to say I was pretty bummed.

Thought for our afternoon trial I would just take him in for the experience... I mean I paid for the entry why not.

We ended up with a 4th and a 185 Q!!!! I was SHOCKED when she called his name for his ribbon!!
What a great way to end the day!

Working on a loose leash has been Bob's challenge from day one.... We are getting there ... But we know what to work on! Vertebrate Mammal Dog Canidae Dog breed

#11 ·
You both should be proud!Next time you'll nail it!

We will have two trials in September.Need to do a little brushing up later this summer,our weaving sucks!His left turns are great but I'm doing something wrong when we weave apparently.He keeps slamming into me.

#14 ·
I knew what you meant:)We use overturned buckets too.It's just me,something I'm doing with my posture is confusing him.I'll have to set up a mirror and see what my problem is.When there's no objects to weave around his heel is excellent on any twists and turns.So I know I'm doing something dumb,lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.