German Shepherds Forum banner

Stupid question?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
I have been watching lots of videos of people's rally runs on Youtube while training my own dogs. I am surprised at what people are wearing in the ring. I even saw some AKC OB videos where people seem to be just dressed in the most casual street clothes.

I guess it was a holdover from my horse show days....blouse, collar, pin, clean breeches, spotless horse...heaven forbid you enter the ring with poop stains on your horse's white socks. But I expected people to look a little n icer when competing their dogs

I mean, I was even planning to buy my dogs a nice leather collar & leash because they usually wear florescent nylon with lots of jingly tags and I thought that was too tacky. But people just go compete wearing whatever, human and dog? Would I look like a snob if I tried to look a little nicer?

This is mostly re: rally videos

#3 ·
many venues have become more and more casual. I guess most people just want to be clean. My hubby and I have nice leather dress leashes. Collars stay the same, black prong for our two year old and a small silver prong for your baby and their usual martingales as back up...but if they get worn and grungy I eventually get them new collars. I think the collars should stay consistent to what they are doing. They are clues as to what activity the dog can expect.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know squat about rally regs. General AKC obedience used to require a plain leather collar with no tags for the dogs. I dressed to complement the dogs and I gave up my nifty leather collars with fetish bears on them when I saw a judge make a handler change her collar. Other judges hadn't been that particular. But even back when I was doing AKC stuff, dress was getting pretty casual. A friend said to dress to show respect for the judge and that was the criteria I used (except to try and look good with my dog).

With IPO DVG dress regs for handlers apply to the National trial. Club trials - I'm lucky to make it there with the dog and equipment (I've never done a national.) Much more relaxed. I'm not sure about the regionals. National requirement is white shirt with collar & tan or kahki slacks. And at that level they are fussy. (But everywhere is fussy about the equipment on the dogs)

I know of no venue where you can have a prong collar in the ring. IPO it is fur saver; AKC it was plain leather - at AKC you weren't supposed to have a prong on your dog at the venue.

#7 ·
I

I know of no venue where you can have a prong collar in the ring. IPO it is fur saver; AKC it was plain leather - at AKC you weren't supposed to have a prong on your dog at the venue.
true, no prongs in the venue itself. We are members of DVG as well and it is fursavers only for trials. Leashes for the BH or for tracking have regs about length and less about material. I've not seen anyone use something other than solid colors.

#8 ·
Well, I think I will aim for a happy medium, maybe khakis and a polo shirt and plain leather for the dogs. I don't think that is so formal that i woukd stand out. If i were a little bit more of a preppy type person i might just wear that on a normal day.

I really like the flourescent nylon with reflective strips at home, my dogs are out in the woods every day. And at night if they are out in the back yard which is a couple acres I can shine a light up the hill and see right where they are.

I just don't think I'd feel comfortable unless we were at least a little presentable.

#9 ·
I say just make sure you have confortable shoes and your dog is clean.
At an AKC Obed. trial I saw a handler with a westie that looked like it rolled in mud on the way to the ring. Stand for exam was an exersize that was done in this class, the judge really didn't want to touch this dog but she had to, she ended up taking a quick break after the dog to wash her hands. I know some performance people don't think it's nessary to groom their dogs but it's better to have your dog looking their best and make a good impression.

#10 ·
dress in what you are comfortable in. In AKC, the norm I usually see is "casual Friday at the office" level. Nothing wrong with nice jeans and a blouse or even a plain t-shirt.
Conformation is much more formal, of course. And in agility you often see people in yoga pants.

UKC is much more casual in all aspects, especially the conformation ring. You might see someone come straight in from a herding event to the conformation ring, complete with muddy boots.

#11 ·
Rally regs are the same as obedience -- collar, nothing dangling, tags, etc.

I used to dress up, three piece for me that means black jeans, some type of blouse and a black over jacket/shirt. But I've gotten a little lazier and often wear jeans and a t-shirt.

I do take the dog for grooming before going to the show though.

Look at my dog, not me. But, I don't like to detract too much from the dog's appearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.