Hi there, new GSD owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi there, new GSD owner

Hi there, I've been posting in the Schutzhund group for a couple weeks, but now that my girl is getting settled I thought I'd like to come here and learn a bit. Brief background-- I've shown (conformation) and trained (obedience, rally, little bit of schutzhund & agility) for about 30 years but haven't been doing much the past 10 years. My past dogs were Rottweilers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. I now have (in addition to Jetta, my first GSD) a cane corso (who was to be my competition obedience dog but was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia at only 8 months of age and had to be retired immediately. He had already passed his STAR puppy and CGC and was nearly ready for his CD ), an Ibizan Hound & 2 Chihuahuas.

I've had my girl, Jetta, for just over 2 weeks. I've been letting her settle in and transition into our home and pack. She is 20 months old and has been basically in a kennel from the time she was bought from her breeder at about 4 months until 20 months old. Her previous owner did have a trainer work with her, but I don't know what all was done, nor what techniques were used. I know she was trained in English, but I train with a combination of English, Hungarian, and German commands. Just for fun, since she's been settling in so well and seemed to want to do *something* other than our basic walks and runs we've been doing, I took her out yesterday JUST to see what she may or may not know, and how she would respond to my foreign commands. SHE WAS AMAZING. Here's a short video, and I am just so tickled with her. I can't wait to get her into training classes at my local training club. I think she did FANTASTIC, and I think her focus and eye contact was really good considering the short amount of time I've had her and that this was our very first attempt at a mini training session. I think we will go far :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gOBiSFasQ

Carey & Jetta
workingk9_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome, could not watch your video it is set to private. Wish you lots of success with your girl, pics please.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
Welcome, could not watch your video it is set to private. Wish you lots of success with your girl, pics please.
I'm so sorry-- I hadn't click "publish"---- try this--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gOBiSFasQ

Thanks,
Carey & Jetta
Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
Here are a few pics :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Hi there, new GSD owner-image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nice looking girl! Most GSDs, in my experience, would rather be house dogs at least part of the time, than be full time kennel dogs.

One caution on the commands - I am pretty sure one of the more recent rule changes in IPO required consistency in the language that you use when you trial. I use German for obedience work, and more casual English in the house....my Belgian import was trained in Flemish, but also seemed to respond to German - ie would out about the same for 'los' or 'aus'....

Where are you in Ohio and what club are you going to train in? We have members here in some of the clubs.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
One caution on the commands - I am pretty sure one of the more recent rule changes in IPO required consistency in the language that you use when you trial
Twice I've seen judges comment on that in the critique, using 1 language. Both times it was before the latest new rules. Club trials, I don't think they took any points for it though.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why would it matter which language you use?
And do they really know all commands in every single language?
What if you used 'butt on the floor' in Japanese for a sit?

Or is there a set of commands and a set of languages that can be used?

Still don't get the reasoning behind one language
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

The actual rule says:

"Handlers may use their choice of language but all commands must be consistent in the same language for the same exercise in all phases of the trial"

That sounds like if you use platz in ob you have to in A&C too, but you could use heel in all 3 too. Sorry WK Ohio, I only use one so I never really had to think about that.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Hi there, new GSD owner

So do the judges actually memorize the commands the handlers used the first time around and then make sure same ones are used?

I don't get how it's enforced and I don't get the reasoning behind it. But I guess that's ot.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Hmm, I don't know Lala. Maybe in the judges notes? Are you going to do IPO with her Carey? Besides the commands, I'd think about getting rid of the hand signals if you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.