Gearing up for our CDX - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gearing up for our CDX

So Mr. Cash and I are gearing up for our CDX in the spring. I was just wondering if you guys had any pointers/tips. We are retraining his heel and so far he is much happier. (Changed the word and started asking him for a different style) so far I've been letting him get a little silly and have fun because he gets bored easily, he loves learning but I can only drill it for so long. His DOR is coming along still I little slow but much quicker. One question is can you switch finishes throughout the trial? And I can only use a verbal or a hand signal correct? What do you guys prefer for DOR? Verbal? Any help appreciated dumbbell work is coming along great and he LOVES to jump. Gearing up for our CDX-imageuploadedbypg-free1385707577.702784.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Cashous01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just love that photo - it's hilarious!

So the first thing I would do is take the word "drill" out of your vocabulary. Treat each and every training session like an opportunity to play the structured game of obedience with your dog. Identify the things that motivate your dog and utilize each of these motivators throughout your training sessions. If you are using food, a dog's bowl can be a huge attitude booster. Throw a couple treats in and try some heeling. When it's really pretty, mark it and jackpot! Keep your training sessions really fun, spontaneous, and short. Start training with distractions early on.

I prefer to have my dog finish in the direction he does best, but yes, you could switch finishes throughout the trial. For the finish, you should give a "command or signal".

I personally prefer a verbal command for the drop on recall. I use the command "Platz" as it is crisp and I don't drag it out like the command "dowwwnnnn".

You may have already seen the following links, but if not they might be helpful for you:

AKC OB Regs:
http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf

AKC Open Scoresheet:
http://classic.akc.org/pdfs/openass.pdf

In AKC, it's super important to know the regulations inside and out. Also, I like to have my ring prep students look over the judge's score sheets for the classes they will be entering. Looking through the "qualifying" and "non-qualifying" columns can be helpful.

I wish you all the best - have fun & happy trialing!
Guardyan's Kricket NAP
Guardyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah you can finish however you want. I generally use the one which will more than likely get my dog into the straightest possible sit after he's done. Remember...the judge also doesn't know your command for either finish so even if you say the "finish left" command and the dog finishes right, you won't lose points (even if in a previous exercise it did it correctly).

On the DOR...I use a verbal. More likely to get you to succeed. Unless your dog is 150% good at it with a hand signal, I wouldn't risk it. Just doesn't make sense to. Who knows if at that moment your dog will look away or just ignore the signal. At least with a verbal you might get the dog to remember what its supposed to do. My instructors always tell us to take every advantage we can and not make the exercises harder than they already are.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses!! Yes I have been trying to take on a new perspective when trying my boy. As I am not nearly fun enough. Thank you for catching that. I have been using the around finish and only using a hand signal (never decided on a word :P) I will stick with verbal for DOR.

For the figure 8 his inside turn is great, but he lags a lot on the outside turn I've been trying to speed him up by just taking off running but it doesn't seem to be working. Any tips?

I've also been using super high value treats that I rotate often and a hidden toy.

Also his fronts any tips/games to proof them he usually sits crooked and at our last trial he did this absolutely *hilarious* trick where he would just do a recall and finish all on his own like a smart boy.... 😓

So any other tips you have would be great. He really is a good dog that performs well even when I can't think straight. ❤

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Cashous01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Re: Figure 8, try some bigger 8s. Place your cones about 12-15' apart and work on your footwork first. With the bigger 8s, it's easier to visualize the figure 8 as two straight lines and two small arcs. Walk with your knees together and notice what your upper body language is telling your dog. Many, many people tend to drop their left shoulder and look at their dog on the outside post. This actually tells the dog we're slowing down and they will start to lag. Once you get your footwork/body language correct on the bigger 8, start to decrease the size.

If your dog has some prey drive, you can throw a toy in front after the outside turn causing them to drive forward in anticipation.

You can also practice randomized figure 8s. Just throw a bunch of cones out there and heel in crazy patterns. Remember to mark and treat or mark and play when it's pretty.

A lot of people will use a platform to get straight fronts. I tend to concentrate on my dog's head. If their head is straight, their body typically will be straight. Reward from alternating hands. Reward only on the center line of your body, very, very close to your body. Only reward when your dog is straight.

When you get into Open, you will have several finishes so it's important to let your dog know that auto finishes aren't okay. I only rarely do a finish in combination with the exercise. If I do, I count off five seconds in my head. (That was Helki's lesson for me. She was big on anticipation.)

Mental preparation is a big part of the game. Visualize each part of the exercise - what command you will give and what your body language will look like. Find things that will help you get in a relaxed state - some people listen to music on an iPod, some do breathing exercises, some do mental practice. Just a matter of finding what works for you.
Guardyan's Kricket NAP
Guardyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.