What kind of leash do you use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What kind of leash do you use?

Just wondering what those of you how compete in Obedience and Rally use for your leash.

In class last night that instructor said I really need to get a new leash for training that is easier to hold in my hand. Right now I am just using our plain Nylon 6' 1" leash. I like it for our daily walks but it is a bit bulky when I try to hold it in one hand.

So what do you use, why, and where did you get it.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Plain flat nylon, 4'. I think mine is 3/4" but I'm actually not sure about that. You can see it in some of my pictures -- it's always that same beaten-up green leash.

I've been wrangling the dogs on that type of leash for so long that it feels completely comfortable and natural in my hands now, and anything else would be weird, so that's what I use. Most of our runs are off-leash these days anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I love leather leashes. I have a 6' and a 3'. I bought mine from here: leatherleashstore.com. I got the soft bullhide kind. Couldn't be happier with them! They are super, super soft on my hands. Even when he almost pulls me across the field going after a deer.
vickip9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a couple of 6' leather leashes. Very pretty, but not that practical for training.

For training, I bought one of those braided cotton English slip leads...It's maybe 3-4 feet long. My trainer suggested it for training loose leash walking. Lots of images on Google. Just don't buy a white one, like I did, because now it looks filthy and gross

P.S. I don't do Rally, and just completed my first OB series, so hopefully others will chime in.

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013

Last edited by JackandMattie; 08-01-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have leather leads for Obed. usually 3' or 18" for heeling, some are skinny braided, some are just skinny. I have some flat 6' for walking, not much wider than 5/8". Have a few long round leather for breed. English slip for agility and 40' light weight nylon for tracking.
After several dogs I probably have more leads than sneakers and that's a lot.
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper RN RA
gsdheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies! So the general consensus is 3-4' correct? And material doesn't matter as much as long as it is comfy and fits nicely in my hand?

We haven't done any competitions yet, but I am thinking of possibly entering one in September. I'll have to see how training goes till then.

On a side note I was talking to my DH last night after class about needing to shop for a new leash. He just kinda looked at me like I was crazy for putting time and thought into something like that. To each his own I guess!

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yep, and good luck in September if you decide to go for it!

One minor consideration is that you do get dinged for having a taut leash in both OB and Rally, and I'm pretty sure this rule is applied in all the major venues. If your leash is slightly longer, then you've got a little bit more slack.

It doesn't make a big difference because if your dog has a taut leash at 4' or 6', the dog's going to be seriously out of Heel position and you'll get dinged anyhow, even under a generous judge. But it can make a difference between 3' and 4' with a big dog, particularly as you're going around the curves on serpentines and Figure 8s.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Get a 6 foot leash for obedience and rally. I have seen a judge send a person out of the ring to get the proper sized leash. I use a 1/2" leather for my obedience/rally dog. After all, he's trained and should not be pulling on it hard enough to break it. LOL! For my untrained dog I use a thicker leather leash.

AKC Obedience/Rally Regs:

"The leash must be made of fabric or leather and need only be long enough to provide adequate slack during the Heel on Leash exercise, unless stated otherwise in these regulations"

"Section 9. Sit For Exam. The principal feature of this exercise is that the dog sits in position before and during the examination without displaying resentment. Orders are: "Sit your dog and leave when you are ready," "Back to your dog" and "Exercise finished." This exercise is to be performed with the dog on a 6 foot leash. "

Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
Get a 6 foot leash for obedience and rally. I have seen a judge send a person out of the ring to get the proper sized leash. I use a 1/2" leather for my obedience/rally dog. After all, he's trained and should not be pulling on it hard enough to break it. LOL! For my untrained dog I use a thicker leather leash.

AKC Obedience/Rally Regs:

"The leash must be made of fabric or leather and need only be long enough to provide adequate slack during the Heel on Leash exercise, unless stated otherwise in these regulations"

"Section 9. Sit For Exam. The principal feature of this exercise is that the dog sits in position before and during the examination without displaying resentment. Orders are: "Sit your dog and leave when you are ready," "Back to your dog" and "Exercise finished." This exercise is to be performed with the dog on a 6 foot leash. "

Wow! Good to know thanks!

-Groucho Marx
Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm a huge fan of the 4' leather. Nylon always tears up my hands, and [good quality] leather just gets better and better the more you use it.

I've been in many classes where a 6ft leash was 'required' and I brought my 4ft. It never once stopped me from completing an exercise. I have no need for that much 'spare leash'. My dog should be well within a 4 foot radius when they're on leash with me day-to-day and I'd rather snap two 4ft leashes together for distance stays if required than haul around a spare two feet of bulky leash when I don't need it. I swear by and LOVE Schafer Kennel Supplies' leashes. I use the 1/4 inch 6 ft for shows and the 1/2 inch 4 ft for day-to-day. They're not sewn and although the snaps are small I've been hauled around the ring showing other folks' dogs and never had it break.

My most 'useful' leash is the 4ft leather weaver from Jeffers. It has a snap on both ends (one integrated in the handle) and a floating ring. It can be a slip lead, I can hook my dogs to a pole or chair leg when I need my hands free or around my waist when I'm training. The downside is that the snap on the handle can be a huge pain when you're starting out and luring... I've thwacked a dog in the face with it more than once by accident!

Last edited by marbury; 08-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.