Everything A Newbie Needs To Know About Trials - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm about an hour and a half (give or take a minute or ten for traffic lol) south of Louisville, KY. I'm considering going to a training club maybe once a month to learn a few things. I've also been following a lot of Leerburg's obedience training stuff and it's really helping and coming in handy.
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm 45 min. north of Louisville, I wondered when you mentioned March if you were talking about the big cluster show in Louisville.
If those are your plans and your first show, you might want to think about showing on Thurs and Friday during that show it always seems less crowded on those days then on the weekend.
I train at a place off the Gene Snyder but it's east of Louisville so might add even more time to your drive.
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksmom View Post
I'm 45 min. north of Louisville, I wondered when you mentioned March if you were talking about the big cluster show in Louisville.
If those are your plans and your first show, you might want to think about showing on Thurs and Friday during that show it always seems less crowded on those days then on the weekend.
I train at a place off the Gene Snyder but it's east of Louisville so might add even more time to your drive.
Yes, that would be the show that I am talking about. And thanks. I have requested the necessary information and registration packet from the show secretary already. I will definitely keep those days in mind when I put in the information on the registration form. And yes, Gene Snyder would only add more to the driving time. I'm still on the search for good training clubs that would be somewhat close to me, so if anyone knows of any that may be closer to Hodgenville, KY please let me know.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

If you can't get to a trial, check out some of the YouTube videos.

akc beginner novice obedience - YouTube

Especially Louie here who scored a nearly perfect 199.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Great thread, my 13 yr old is going to train our GSD for obedience

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Our AKC obedience training club puts on pretty large obedience, rally and agility trials and practice show 'n go days in the weeks previous to a trial. See if the club that's putting on the trial has some of them so you can give it a try beforehand. I've been a ring steward at many trials and the most common mistakes I see with first timers is that they take the lead off the dog before they enter or just as they enter the ring, rather than waiting for the judge to tell them to. Sounds like a little thing but it can mean a DQ if the judge is that picky. It's not inappropriate to let the judge know it's your first trial and they're usually very helpful. Try not to be nervous and remember that everyone wants to see you and your dog do well.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sorry for the typo- I meant NQ. Although it would be nice if they gave everyone a DQ cone as you exited the ring
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Our AKC obedience training club puts on pretty large obedience, rally and agility trials and practice show 'n go days in the weeks previous to a trial. See if the club that's putting on the trial has some of them so you can give it a try beforehand. I've been a ring steward at many trials and the most common mistakes I see with first timers is that they take the lead off the dog before they enter or just as they enter the ring, rather than waiting for the judge to tell them to. Sounds like a little thing but it can mean a DQ if the judge is that picky. It's not inappropriate to let the judge know it's your first trial and they're usually very helpful. Try not to be nervous and remember that everyone wants to see you and your dog do well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Beginner Novice exercises done while on leash? Also on another note. Showing equipment. It states in the rules that you can't use a training collar such as a prong collar. But, would a choke chain collar be considered a training collar and be inappropriate to show in? If so, what do you guys use to show your dogs in?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

For AKC, I just use a fursaver or a martingale.
Choke/slip collars are OK. Be aware that in AKC, a correction in the ring is really not acceptable. Leash must have a "j" loop hanging down from collar.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yes, the BN is done on leash, except for the recall and sit/stay exercise.

A choke chain is allowed. I use one because I don't like the flat buckle collars messing up the neck fur.

Last edited by Karla; 11-17-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: forgot the recall was off leash also
Karla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.