German Shepherds Forum banner

Rehoming possible in Iowa

11K views 114 replies 27 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Here's what I know. A guy my husband works with has an unsprayed 3 year old female ( Aspen) ( see attachment photos)

Apparently while his wife and kids were home the 9 year old neighbor girl came in and got startled and ran...Aspen assuming she was playing ran and tackled her. Parents claim she was bit even though no bite marks exist. ( this neighbor girl has been notorious for teasing Aspen) ...parents are being real ( fill in your own word..I don't want to get banned). Authorities made him quarantine her ( she was 3 months behind on rabies shot because owner thought he had gotten a 3 year and he had only gotten a 1 year) ...she will not be out of quarantine until next Saturday ( August 30) ....he knows they are going to tell him to get rid of her.

I told him I would bring this up here. I do NOT want to put it on our local pet board because it's like stupid spawn there.
I have not seen the dog. My understanding is the dog is good with other people and pets ..except for this neighbor girl who apparently teases the dog all the time.
I will attach a couple of pictures ...if you'd like more info you can request an email for the owner.

this is eastern iowa

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I am not sure...that's something I can tell my husband to tell his co-worker -- about placing a call to the breeder I mean.

OH **** YEAH

The first way I understood it was that this brat came in the house without being invited...so of course I went off on why wasn't the door locked...yada yada...then it came out that the daughter and wife were home and that the daughter let the girl in...now the girl knows there is a dog in the house but apparently hasn't been taught how to act with them. The fact that this owner has seen this kid repeatedly teasing his dog...oh my butt would have been on them a loooooooong time ago BEFORE it got to this point.

I totally get it that the dog rushed her and pushed her down...I get it...but if there are NO bite marks...that I don't get. And they have 2 years to sue him? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? That's BULL!

#4 ·
I wonder if the dog just excitedly jumped up on the girl since so many dogs aren't taught to NOT jump and she fell and they got tangled up. That's a much more likely scenario. I had a kid like that at my first house when my kids were small. I was rocking my youngest at nap time (he was 2 and I just about had him asleep, grr) when the neighbor girl just walked into his room. On the second story. With the door shut. I was PISSED. I told her in no uncertain terms she is to KNOCK ON THE DOOR AND IF THERE'S NO ANSWER, YOU DON'T COME IN.

How is the dog? Do you know anything about temperament? Do you know who the breeder is?

#5 ·
I am sure that was the scenario -- dog thought she was playing...knocked her down...I would DEMAND to see bite marks.
My husband said now the owner is reading all the iowa laws and another one is..if your dog is in the yard...a bike rider rides past...the dog barks or whatever ..scares the bike rider -- bike rider falls ...he/she can sue you??? WHAT??????????????????????? This isn't even the dog charges the bike rider...this is if the dogs barks and scares the rider into a fall....dog owner responsible? OK here is what I think...if a dog barking makes you lose your balance on a bike....try a different activity.

#7 ·
Please have them take her in to be spayed before re-homing so that whoever gets her doesn't get her to make money. There are a lot of posts and information about all the things that need to be done to rehome - application, reference checks and call to AC, vet references, home check because not everyone who posts here is going to be a good home either, just like anywhere else.

#17 ·
please have them take her in to be spayed before re-homing so that whoever gets her doesn't get her to make money. There are a lot of posts and information about all the things that need to be done to rehome - application, reference checks and call to ac, vet references, home check because not everyone who posts here is going to be a good home either, just like anywhere else.
yes!

#9 ·
I have a contact with a person in a reputable GSD rescue in northeastern Iowa. If you want to PM me, I can try and put everyone in touch.

I'm in SW Minnesota and about to be "foster full" or I'd take her in a second.

#10 · (Edited)
'scuse me, loves the dog????? please.

the breeder needs to be called. the dog needs to be spayed. pm cassandgunner.

neighbor trumps love for dog. i will just NEVER understand. ever.

#12 · (Edited)
nowhere did I "judge" anybody, I simply said I will never understand (which is a personal opinion and allowed here), and restated the obvious good advice that's been given in the thread. kudos from here after you (he/whoever):

contacts the breeder.
spays the dog.
pm's cassandgunner.

#14 ·
thanks Jax -- that's what I want this about ...helping this dog. I don't have ALL the details ..I do not know the owner nor the neighbors. All I want to do is help the dog. Apparently these neighbors have it in for this dog and will not rest until it's out of the neighborhood.
That's what I DO understand.

#15 ·
before anyone here will be able to help you help the dog you will have to supply more details (that you don't have), and less conjecture about how the owner feels about the dog perhaps. i am all about helping the dogs. i am tired of sad tales about how people "love" their animals but will not take the responsibility to care for them. and my posts likely reflect my "opinion" about that.

wishing you good luck in helping the dog.

#16 ·
A. as I know it conjecture doesn't really apply to feelings
B. how in any way is this post of asking to help rehome a dog who along with his owner being badgered by a neighbor connected to the owner not taking on the responsibility to care for her? I don't understand where you are making that connection.

Is he to wait until the authorities come and yank her out of the home and put her in the pound where anybody can get her? Or does he try to find a DECENT home for her before that happens?

Actually I am going to send the link to the board to the owner and let him fill in the blanks.

I am not going to keep arguing about "opinions" ...this thread is to help find a home for a great dog...not judge or make assumptions about the owner.

#18 ·
Sending the link to the owner so he can post sounds like the best idea for sure. If the situation is such that the authorities have the right to remove the dog from her home, it's already a situation fraught with legalities...or with important details lost in translation...thank you for trying to help the dog, but direct communication with understandable details will be much more helpful to her.

#20 ·
And hey, my neighbors could badger me as much as they wanted...my responsibility above all else is to protect and care for my animals. It is my job to keep my perimeters and home secure from any "brats" who might expose themselves to a dog bite. And if I'm not successful in doing that, and a child is hurt by my animals, on my property...then it's my job to follow the law and accept the consequences of what my lapse in judgement created. If the law says there is sufficient evidence to quarantine, I cannot try to "remove the dog from the neighborhood", which, if that is the situation, is illegal. I'm so sorry for this dog, but it will be very difficult for anyone to help, unless the circumstances are different from what they appear to be from your posts.

#21 ·
Glad we are going to stay on track and all come together to figure out how to help this dog.

So....this is what we know

1. 3 yr old female
2. Not spayed
3. Not UTD on shots
4. MAY have an issue with strange children or could be an isolated incident.
5. Unknown if owner contacted breeder.
6. Most likely the county will force him to find a new home.
7. Most likely good with other pets and people.
8. From picture #3, the dog is either living with a baby or is exposed to babies.
9. No evidence of a bite was found.
10. Randy has offered assistance. Has he been contacted?

Lyssa - can you have the owner confirm this list to start?

#22 ·
I'm following this closely. No opinions here on the situation itself. Dog needs help. I am somewhat interested, but not settled on whether I can do two dogs at this point. I think Cruz (male) would probably not have a problem accepting her. I'm just not sure the on the other way around. This is an absolutely gorgeous dog.

Can we get some info on breeder and pedigree?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#23 ·
jax -- I have given the link to the owner ...he's a shift worker and I know he works same shift as my husband so they were both on night shift last night. I DO hope he gets on and sheds more light on this.

jafo -- again I hope we can get more info. I would take her in a heartbeat but I seriously can NOT afford anymore pets. I just welcomed another rescue amazon parrot into the house last week. We are full as far as budgeting for food/health/training etc.
Plus being in the same county if they are forced to remove her from the county ...I couldn't have her here either ( I would imagine that's how it works)

#24 ·
That's what I'm pondering at this point. The same issue only we have the room, we have the abilities to handle two dogs now. The initial cost of the spay and shots along with a physical and x-raying the hips (I do this regardless to know what I have) is what I'm looking at. My vet will combine and discount but it's still not cheap.

I also know of two others looking for a shepherd also. So if this is something I can't do, I plan on passing her along.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#28 ·
First off thanks eveyone for tring to help find a place for our GSD. I ask that all the bashers email me with your words of wisdom as i messed up on her shots by a few months. People mess up and I accept responseability for it. Unfortunately she suffers the worse for it. If she would have been up to date she would have been quarentined at home. I will not waste my time defending myself when that time could be spent finding what is best for my GSD. I will answer any questions you may have.

#31 ·
The incident happened while I was at work. We keep our doors locked at all times because we have 5 children in our house and the youngest (who is 1 yrs old) likes to open the doors. You have to knock on our inside garage door to be let in at all times.. My brother was outside when we heard a knock on the door inside of my garage. My daughter opened the door to let him in when she realized that it was the neighbor girl who took off running when she saw the dog who in turned ran after her. My daughter yelled for her mother and by the time she got outside the dog was back by the garage doors. No one really saw what happened. The little girl was lying facedown in her driveway and the dog was on top of her. She had road rash and what looked like a scratch on her back that was brusied but there was no bit mark. The girl was not taken to get medical treatment.
Our neighbors never gave our GSD a chance. We took her over there on a leash many times to try to get them to interact with her but they wanted nothing to do with her. The little girl and my daughter would be playing outside and screaming and the dog thought that they were hurt and wanted to go see if they were ok. When the dog was outside they would ride their bikes up and down the driveway right beside her and she wanted to play with them. When the girls would start screaming she would starting barking and want loose to go and check on them. The neighbors on the other side of us can come over to her when no one is outside and pet and feed her with no problem but they took the time to get to know her when she was a puppy. We also have family gathering at our home where she runs free in the home after accepting the people that are there. Our 2 younger children can hand feed her one piece of dog food at a time and she is very gentle with both of them. If you let her come to you instead of approaching her she does better with accepting you into our home. While outside on the tiedown she is a little more aggressive about letting people into our yard and home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.