German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Non-Urgent GSD Rescue & Adoption (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/non-urgent-gsd-rescue-adoption/)
-   -   Rehoming possible in Iowa (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/non-urgent-gsd-rescue-adoption/482593-rehoming-possible-iowa.html)

lyssa62 08-24-2014 10:18 AM

Rehoming possible in Iowa

4 Attachment(s)
Here's what I know. A guy my husband works with has an unsprayed 3 year old female ( Aspen) ( see attachment photos)

Apparently while his wife and kids were home the 9 year old neighbor girl came in and got startled and ran...Aspen assuming she was playing ran and tackled her. Parents claim she was bit even though no bite marks exist. ( this neighbor girl has been notorious for teasing Aspen) ...parents are being real ( fill in your own word..I don't want to get banned). Authorities made him quarantine her ( she was 3 months behind on rabies shot because owner thought he had gotten a 3 year and he had only gotten a 1 year) ...she will not be out of quarantine until next Saturday ( August 30) ....he knows they are going to tell him to get rid of her.

I told him I would bring this up here. I do NOT want to put it on our local pet board because it's like stupid spawn there.
I have not seen the dog. My understanding is the dog is good with other people and pets ..except for this neighbor girl who apparently teases the dog all the time.
I will attach a couple of pictures ...if you'd like more info you can request an email for the owner.

this is eastern iowa

Jax08 08-24-2014 11:04 AM

Who is the breeder? That's the first call that should be made.

I hope they banned the brat from their property. To bad they didn't do that sooner.

lyssa62 08-24-2014 11:11 AM

I am not sure...that's something I can tell my husband to tell his co-worker -- about placing a call to the breeder I mean.

OH **** YEAH

The first way I understood it was that this brat came in the house without being invited...so of course I went off on why wasn't the door locked...yada yada...then it came out that the daughter and wife were home and that the daughter let the girl in...now the girl knows there is a dog in the house but apparently hasn't been taught how to act with them. The fact that this owner has seen this kid repeatedly teasing his dog...oh my butt would have been on them a loooooooong time ago BEFORE it got to this point.

I totally get it that the dog rushed her and pushed her down...I get it...but if there are NO bite marks...that I don't get. And they have 2 years to sue him? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? That's BULL!

RocketDog 08-24-2014 11:16 AM

I wonder if the dog just excitedly jumped up on the girl since so many dogs aren't taught to NOT jump and she fell and they got tangled up. That's a much more likely scenario. I had a kid like that at my first house when my kids were small. I was rocking my youngest at nap time (he was 2 and I just about had him asleep, grr) when the neighbor girl just walked into his room. On the second story. With the door shut. I was PISSED. I told her in no uncertain terms she is to KNOCK ON THE DOOR AND IF THERE'S NO ANSWER, YOU DON'T COME IN.

How is the dog? Do you know anything about temperament? Do you know who the breeder is?

lyssa62 08-24-2014 11:49 AM

I am sure that was the scenario -- dog thought she was playing...knocked her down...I would DEMAND to see bite marks.
My husband said now the owner is reading all the iowa laws and another one is..if your dog is in the yard...a bike rider rides past...the dog barks or whatever ..scares the bike rider -- bike rider falls ...he/she can sue you??? WHAT??????????????????????? This isn't even the dog charges the bike rider...this is if the dogs barks and scares the rider into a fall....dog owner responsible? OK here is what I think...if a dog barking makes you lose your balance on a bike....try a different activity.

lyssa62 08-24-2014 11:51 AM

oh see now that's what I said when I first heard the story and thought the 9 year old walked in the house uninvited....I would have counter sued for entering without permission (whatever that's called)

JeanKBBMMMAAN 08-24-2014 11:54 AM

Please have them take her in to be spayed before re-homing so that whoever gets her doesn't get her to make money. There are a lot of posts and information about all the things that need to be done to rehome - application, reference checks and call to AC, vet references, home check because not everyone who posts here is going to be a good home either, just like anywhere else.

lyssa62 08-24-2014 12:01 PM

^ def ...great advice. I'm sure he's going to make sure she goes to a good home. He loves that dog but is tired of fighting with his neighbor about it.

CassandGunnar 08-24-2014 12:13 PM

I have a contact with a person in a reputable GSD rescue in northeastern Iowa. If you want to PM me, I can try and put everyone in touch.

I'm in SW Minnesota and about to be "foster full" or I'd take her in a second.

katieliz 08-24-2014 12:20 PM

'scuse me, loves the dog????? please.

the breeder needs to be called. the dog needs to be spayed. pm cassandgunner.

neighbor trumps love for dog. i will just NEVER understand. ever.