German Shepherds Forum banner

Rehoming possible in Iowa

11K views 114 replies 27 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Here's what I know. A guy my husband works with has an unsprayed 3 year old female ( Aspen) ( see attachment photos)

Apparently while his wife and kids were home the 9 year old neighbor girl came in and got startled and ran...Aspen assuming she was playing ran and tackled her. Parents claim she was bit even though no bite marks exist. ( this neighbor girl has been notorious for teasing Aspen) ...parents are being real ( fill in your own word..I don't want to get banned). Authorities made him quarantine her ( she was 3 months behind on rabies shot because owner thought he had gotten a 3 year and he had only gotten a 1 year) ...she will not be out of quarantine until next Saturday ( August 30) ....he knows they are going to tell him to get rid of her.

I told him I would bring this up here. I do NOT want to put it on our local pet board because it's like stupid spawn there.
I have not seen the dog. My understanding is the dog is good with other people and pets ..except for this neighbor girl who apparently teases the dog all the time.
I will attach a couple of pictures ...if you'd like more info you can request an email for the owner.

this is eastern iowa

Attachments

See less See more
#66 ·
The dog DOES NOT need to be spayed. I know why people are on this but it is much better to have a dog intact for longer rather than shorter.

Contact the breeder, go from there. Do not immediately jump to spay.
Again it comes down to responsibility; the dog needs to be rehomed and even in the best circumstances can end up in the wrong hands. It's for the best the dog is spayed before leaving, it's more than old enough that all the benefits from the hormones, etc. are finished. So yes I would say again it's extremely important the dog needs to be spayed

Not to mention most owners do not want an intact dog, especially a female. So spaying will make her much more appealing to the majority which translates to the dog getting out of there sooner rather than later. If it was that important to the current owner they could wait and agree with the new owner beforehand whether the spay would be done or not but that would be up to them

#67 ·
I cried reading through these posts. The whole situation is sad, but rehoming is the best option. No family should lose a beloved pet because of a neighbor. I hope she goes to a good home and that this family can get another dog in the future when their children are older.

Emotions aside, to me this is a time management issue. A family with five young children has only so much time to give each family member. An active dog is a family member and needs time, too. By age three a family pet should know not to chase a child and an adult should be there to keep that from happening in an ideal set up. Since the parents don't have that kind of time, the dog should be in a place where the owners do have time for her.

I also agree that it's a shame to rush to spay, but no rescue will give out an unspayed dog that age, so it needs to be done.

#69 ·
Jeremy -- we will support you in whatever decision you make. I know the neighbors have what 2 years to sue you? But they will have that 2 years regardless if you rehome Aspen or not. If you can get her into some classes that would be great. I have had Roxy in the same class 3 times now. She is just leash aggressive when it comes to certain things. I love all 3 trainers we have at the CAC down here. It's like $65 for 6 hour long classes and they have ALL been great about staying late to work one on one with us.

Someday it's my dream that she gets a Good Canine award...probably won't be anytime soon...but someday.

I'm guessing the neighbors can't be talked to or reasoned with ?

#70 ·
Other than ensuring the dog does not land in a situation where she will be used to breed, I don't see how spaying will help. It won't help her reaction to the kid.

If she is reactive, which I wouldn't want to label her with, spaying can actually make that worse.

But at 3 years, she is definitely old enough to be spayed, and since it does prevent people snatching her up to use her for breeding stock, it might make sense to do so.

#71 ·
I have seriously thought about taking this dog. My concerns are two females that are the same age and cats. If I knew that could all work and she was fixed I would welcome her into my home. I just don't want her shuffled around if not needed:(

#72 ·
I would love to keep her but think if i can find her a good home she will be happy and i will feel better knowing she is loved. I wish i could move but that is just not in the cards right now. I have a person coming this weekend to see her hopfully it goes well. Older couple with 1 1/2 acres in the country no kids. we have baby sitters come and after a few times she is fine with them she seems to get along with strangers after a little bit. Think she will be fine in a new home but might take a few days. I have changed door knobs put up screen door and put child guards on the door just wish i would have done this sooner then this may have never happened. As far as fixing her i have not isses with getting this done ill pay for it if need be to get her to a good home. I have turned down a person they lived in an apartment in town no yard im like really people she is not a taco bell dog.

#74 ·
I live in an apartment with no yard. My dog gets at least 2 hours out every day and over 5 on weekends, snow, rain, hail, storms. Actually with a yard it's easy to stick a dog out there and forget about him.
If that was your only reason for turning them down then you might've made a mistake

#76 ·
I understand the impression thing. Everything else? Doesn't mean much
I've never had a dog before, any dog. This one is my first. I go above and beyond for him.
The age - yeah not everyone is responsible when they're young.

It's tough finding good owners. You don't want to make mistakes. Good luck. I hope you find someone good.

#78 ·
Absolutely...and sorry to say, my preferences would be someone with outside space available, experience with large breed active dogs, and not immature. I appreciate that some people are meticulous about walking and exercising but mine can run, lay around, and explore on their own as I monitor them. We spend 1/2 hour every morning out back, they expend so much energy chasing each other and playing. This would never be accomplished on a lead. They spend hours outside (with us) throughout the day and have freedom to follow their own interests out there. So how they live now would be my preference, my choice.

#81 ·
lala - this is not about you or how long your dog is on leash. It was a general comment.

The OP will make a decision he's most comfortable with and I don't think he has to explain his reasoning. Please let's keep this one thread about the dog in question and not everyone else's personal criteria on a good home.

#84 ·
I'm sure the OP is fully capable of deciding who to send his dog home with. Keep in mind, there are probably some high emotions connected with having to rehome a dog that's spent three years with them and their kids. This isn't easy for them I'm sure. So I don't know about anyone else, but I'm leaving my personal opinions on who they should give their dog to out of the thread unless asked by the OP for my opinion. I was only expressing in my last post that if there was anything they could do to keep her for themselves. If he feels uncomfortable with certain folks, that's their business. I would rather he turned a few down, than just give her to who ever came along first. At least he is analyzing the best situation for her. Let's let him work it out. I'm sure if he wants opinions, he'll ask.

#87 ·
Had a guy my brother knows come and visit aspen she barked at him he ignored her she sniffed his feet he gave a treat and in 5 min she was playing ball with him not once did he try to push the issue and pet her. He is going to bring the wife to meet her. They have 1 1/2 acres in the country so lets hope all goes well. They are older in late 50's youngest kid is 16 so that's a plus I hope. So lets say they decide to take her what do I do in regards to handing over rights to her? Do I draw a paper that states this? What needs to be wrote down? Thanks everyone. In regards to the party that thinks I might have messed up because of first one had a apartment to small one bed room young party type thanks to (facebook) pictures and mutual friends I didn't feel it would be a good fit. I am trying to do what is best for Aspen and my gut feeling said no. Normally you don't buy the first house or first car so I pulled the trigger because the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

#88 ·
It sounds like you are doing a very good job Jerky.

I know some of the rescue folks here can help you with paper work suggestions. Also when I've fostered and rehomed dogs we did home inspections, just to make sure the adopters were on the up and up.

Good luck with this prospective adopter!

#90 ·
Btw....when fostering and rehoming a GSD a few years back I had filtered out a few college students for similar reasons. Freshmen, transient, couldn't afford $150.00 adoption fee, couldn't afford vet, no local references. Too many downsides, they just didn't have the ability to provide a long term stable situation.

#91 ·
If you think this guy and his wife are a good fit I would follow this process and I'm sure other rescue folks will chime in.

1) Get a vet reference and call the vet to check to be sure they take proper care of their animals
2) Take your dog with you to visit the entire family at their home.
-Watch how every single family member interacts with your dog and have a conversation about what type of plan would be needed to keep her safe.
-Find out where she would be staying when they weren't home, check to be sure the house is dog proofed, etc.
-Check out the fencing, etc. to be sure it will be secure for her.
-Be sure they understand the protocol they must follow when people come over to visit.
3) Draw up a paper that says they are taking ownership of the dog but should they not be able to keep her she must be returned to you.

#94 ·
After considering the thread and what he has conveyed. I don't think they really want her to go. I do think that she does have to go. Not because the behaviors of the dog can't be fixed. It's the neighbors behaviors that can't be fixed. This puts Aspen in danger if she gets loose again. It's foolish to say she will never get loose again. Accidents happen and in a house with kids even more so. So rehoming her is her best option.

Sounds to me like he is doing the best he can.

#96 ·
I would love to keep her everyone. I am terrified of her getting out in a situation and something more happening, (what if) is the biggest thing I struggle with. I can guarantee she can sense this. Its not a question of if she gets out its when she dose what will happen if provoked by a certain person. If something did happen then what? She gets put down because I was selfish and didn't give her a chance somewhere else and missed something or didn't do something and I have to live with it. I want what is best for her, I know its best for her to be with her family but that is just not possible because of the situation. Knowing she has a better chance of living a happy life with someone else where she wont be subjected to my reactive next door neighbors that shunned her from day one.
She is fine with anyone who comes around and knows how to act around a GSD.

#97 ·
I'm not going to dissuade you from rehoming her. However, I have to ask this - how long are you going to let your neighbor dictate what animals you can have? Are you going to fence your yard? Lock your gate to keep out uninvited people and kids?

I just find it sad that this person is going to influence future pets as well just by precedent.

#101 ·
When they came to my house she barked and growled a few times like saying hey let me check you out, so they stood there talking and i allowed her to smell them. It went well they spent 2 hrs with her after 5 to 10 min she was playing ball with them and letting them lead her on leash. Im on second shift this week so its been hard for them to come buy. I asked them to come around some more so i can feel them out and how they get along with each other. Thanks for asking. I hope they tale her they seem interested. I KNOW THE TEENAGE SON WANTED TO TAKE HER HOME THAT NIGHT. Sorry for caps but didnt want to retype.

#102 ·
I think this situation is heartbreaking for you, Jerky. I do applaud your efforts to do what you feel is right for Aspen. I wish there was a way things could work out differently, but I know you and your family are wishing the very same thing.

Just let me say that I think you are a very compassionate and brave person to put the well being of your beloved Aspen before your own feelings.

Blessings to you, your family, Aspen, and her new family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.