3 yr old Male needs good home. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default 3 yr old Male needs good home.

It breaks my heart to post this, because I never thought I would have to. I have to find a good home for my dog, Gus. A recent turn of events has changed my life and I don't think I can provide the care that is fair to him. I have acquired my CDL and I will be going over the road. I don't feel that it is fair to him to keep him confined to a space of such small size for weeks on end. I would like to find a good home for him where he can have room to run and be well taken care of. Here's some information about him:

3 years old. Male. Intact. (I am willing to neuter him before he is given to his new home) He loves people. He has gotten along with some dogs, and some not. Doesn't do too well with cats. He's good with older children. He tends to get really excited and knock small children down.

Gus is pretty aloof and pretty independent. He's pretty easy to take care of. He's not totally crate trained, because he doesn't like to be confined. He's had the run of my house for two years, and as long as i don't leave trash out, he doesn't get into too much trouble.

If you know anyone looking, please contact me by email. StevieRose92@gmail.com

http://i62.tinypic.com/wmh102.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2eofeh2.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2m4zynq.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are you sure you're not jumping the gun here? My neighbor also has his CDL, and he used to take his dog with him. His dog was very happy with this lifestyle!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

i was originally going to take him with me, but he really hates small spaces. I just don't want to have to find a home last minute in case there's another reason i can't take him. plus I'll have about 6 months of time when i start my new job where i can't take him at all, and have no one to watch him.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry that you can't keep him, then. I just thought to mention it, because I know that I've seen it happen. The 6 months without him would be difficult, unless there's maybe a temp. foster that a rescue might be able to help you find? When you say he hates small spaces, do you mean you've tried taking him along before, and he was definitely unhappy - or what?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you were knocking someone else earlier for getting a dog not realizing they might have no time for him. never know what might happen in your own life. try not to knock people in the future

as far as your situation. I think a dog would be happier in the small space with you than in a big space without you.
6 months - as bb said, temp foster. that's what I think I'd do. I also think I couldn't go a day without him but again, never know what happens later in my life so I can't say for sure
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I haven't been able to find someone who will foster anywhere near me. This is my last resort if I don't find something soon. And I don't recall that incident. But if I was knocking someone for having a dog and having to give them up, I would be sorry. That's actually not my feelings toward any situation like that. Maybe perhaps I misunderstood something? Cause I'm pretty understanding to any situation..
Old 08-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What about long-term kenneling at a boarding facility? Maybe they'd cut you a deal for a 6 month stay? IDK, I'm just brainstorming here. I'd be taking my dog with me, if it was me - so I'm thinking about what to do with the 6 months inbetween. I've taken all my dogs with me everywhere for my whole life though, that's just me. It doesn't matter if we're cramped in a tent or a van or a boat, it's always been the right choice and my dogs didn't suffer at all for it.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I haven't been able to find someone who will foster anywhere near me. This is my last resort if I don't find something soon. And I don't recall that incident. But if I was knocking someone for having a dog and having to give them up, I would be sorry. That's actually not my feelings toward any situation like that. Maybe perhaps I misunderstood something? Cause I'm pretty understanding to any situation..
it was a worst situation than yours but it doesn't matter now. just saying to try to understand people.

yeah, as bb says, your dog won't mind where you are as long as you're there.
boarding? that's expensive for 6 months though. what about rover.com. I don't know their prices but it's a website where people sign up and offer boarding services in their home. anyone can sign ul, it's not professional.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
What about long-term kenneling at a boarding facility? Maybe they'd cut you a deal for a 6 month stay? IDK, I'm just brainstorming here. I'd be taking my dog with me, if it was me - so I'm thinking about what to do with the 6 months inbetween. I've taken all my dogs with me everywhere for my whole life though, that's just me. It doesn't matter if we're cramped in a tent or a van or a boat, it's always been the right choice and my dogs didn't suffer at all for it.
Yes, same here^^^. I have a CDL too, but I don't drive out of town anymore. Come winter I spend many many many hours in a plow or deicer truck and take one of my "girls" with me. I just keep the window down, stop occasionally and throw a few snow balls and they are happy. If I was going OTR I would definitely bring one of them along. The only thing I'd caution is not letting them jump down out of the truck, teach them to use the step.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Check with drivers at the company. It is possible some of them have faced the same issue and have suggestions. Also, don't limit your search for a temp foster to just your local area. Do a search along the company lanes, that will give you a better chance at locating a temp rescue/foster.

If it is with one the large carriers, check with the HR dept, there may be some suggestions there.

Here is an off the wall suggestion. Visit the local truck stop. The employees there can be full of info for the area, and there is no doubt they have heard/talked with drivers in similar situations.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.