Poconos, PA, Roxy, Female, 9 years, approx 95 lbs German/American shepherd mix - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Poconos, PA, Roxy, Female, 9 years, approx 95 lbs German/American shepherd mix

Very sad but our sweet GS went after my girlfriend's 5 year old son unprovoked. Thank goodness it wasn't more serious, but his face is marked up bad and he's traumatized. No stitches, no scars, but cannot risk another attack.

Roxy is a great dog otherwise, fine with new adults/teens. Great watchdog. Very loving and sweet, loves attention. Always wants to be around the family. I am heartbroken she did this.

She needs a great home, but not with small children. She is used to cats.

Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks!!!
JustaDogOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaDogOwner View Post
Very sad but our sweet GS went after my girlfriend's 5 year old son unprovoked. Thank goodness it wasn't more serious, but his face is marked up bad and he's traumatized. No stitches, no scars, but cannot risk another attack.

Roxy is a great dog otherwise, fine with new adults/teens. Great watchdog. Very loving and sweet, loves attention. Always wants to be around the family. I am heartbroken she did this.

She needs a great home, but not with small children. She is used to cats.

Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks!!!
Your dog is nine years old. She is a senior. If she has known this child for the last few years, or even months, without issue, then she probably has something internal/physical wrong with her. And evenso, the strength of the attack goes beyond fear of the child hurting a painful area -- unless the kid jumped on the dog or tried to ride the dog, or shoved something down its ear -- but you said it was unprovoked, so all of that is impossible.

I think you need to do the right thing. What you are trying to do is nearly impossible and very unwise. Finding a home for an aging dog with a serious bite history to a child -- it should be against the law.

You need to go to your vet and stay with your dog, as the vet administers the stuff that will make her quietly go to sleep and then shut down.

I am sorry, this is really, really hard.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As hard as it is to contemplate - abandoning your older dog, who loves you, to a shelter or through an ad to a stranger - is a fate worse for her than the trip to the vet for a peaceful death in your company..... She will not understand and will grieve for her family and home....

It is also irresponsible to pass a dog who bit a child onto someone else....what if she has a serious medical problem, or bites again, or the next family dumps her in a shelter or on the street? I could never live with myself not knowing what happened to an animal I had had that long....I lost track of a senior horse that I had placed and still to this day, knowing he is long gone (he was born over 40 years ago) it still haunts me as to what happened to him....

The most responsible and kindest thing to do if you cannot keep the dog and isolate her from children is to put her to sleep....

Sorry....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Lee.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree too. You musn't pass her on to someone else.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

has your dog always been wary of children? i would need to know why the dog attacked. i wpuld have the vet completely check out the dog, and if nothing found, i would find a way to keep her away from children.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had a dog years ago that could not be near children or he would bite. I just made sure that he was never near children.
Vampire, really evil cat, 18 years
Candi, 13 years,
Brendan, golden retriever-the thriller from Manila, 8 years
King Cody, GSD 6 years
Becky, Jazz and Annie at bridge
vjt555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

i agree
keep her away from the child until she passes
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have you had a full blood panel done? Thyroid imbalances can cause behavioral changes. I'd look into that before I gave my dog up or had her put down. Also, 100% management while you wait for the test results.
KentuckyFenway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with sue and lee. Have a vet check roxy out and go from there, 9 is an age were things can go wrong upstairs and she is your dog you have a commitment to her too do what is right and pawning her off and not getting her medically checked is irresponsible and silly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.