German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Non-Urgent GSD Rescue & Adoption (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/non-urgent-gsd-rescue-adoption/)
-   -   Burnsville, NC "Angel" 6 yo CKC Reg. F/S (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/non-urgent-gsd-rescue-adoption/441617-burnsville-nc-angel-6-yo-ckc-reg-f-s.html)

TAR HEEL MOM 04-22-2014 02:03 PM

Burnsville, NC "Angel" 6 yo CKC Reg. F/S

4 Attachment(s)
Well this threw me for a loop. This beautiful girl is actually the mother of my baby, Tar. For those of you who remember the story of how Tar came into my shelter, you will understand this. Tar's litter was placed with us because the owner had a litter and he was having health problems and he wanted our help in placing. That was 2 years ago. He had the mother (this girl) spayed at the same time.

Today he brought her in to owner relinquish due to extreme health issues (on his part.) She is scared and confused, but oh so sweet. She is CKC registered (you may remember my story as to why) rather than AKC. Once we put her on our facebook page, there will be several people coming in to see her and I'm concerned that the right kind of owner (one wiht GSD expereince) adopt her. I wanted to share her here first. If anyone is interested call our shelter at 828-682-9510. We are closed tomorrow. You can also contact me through here.

TAR HEEL MOM 04-22-2014 02:12 PM

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...gistering.html

The story.

misslesleedavis1 04-22-2014 03:40 PM

My fingers are crossed for her, she is lovely.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TAR HEEL MOM 04-22-2014 07:36 PM

Thank you. My friend and coworker 9with lots of shepherd experience) came in to assess her a little this afternoon and we have decided not to put her directly on the adoption floor for a few days. She is very scared and a little flinch if you approach her too quickly or touch her when she doesn't see that you are getting ready to do so. She has not growled nor snapped at anyone, just a little nervous flinch. Still..the noise and the incessant barking of the other dogs and strange people walking up and down the halls and sticking thier hands in your space....I want to give her a break from that and give a chance to adjust for a few days. Not to mention that I just don't want the wrong person to say, "Oh wow..a German Shepherd! I want that dog." I want to be very selective and I really want someone with previous experience to take her. She deserves a comfortable, spoiled life from here on out. She did her duty and raised three litters of puppies and now finds herself in a shelter. I want the very best for her!!

Curtis 04-22-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAR HEEL MOM (Post 5415713)
She did her duty and raised three litters of puppies and now finds herself in a shelter.

That is 1 heartbreaking sentence. I wish her the best. Glad she has someone looking out for her.

TAR HEEL MOM 04-23-2014 11:23 AM

So I came into work early this morning to eat my breakfast with Ms. Angel. She is still so apprehensive and scared. She is warming up to me though. She laid down beside me and put her head on my leg. She is constantly searching the fenced in intake yard for a way to get out. She seems intrigued by other dogs as they go by and has not growled or shown any aggression towards them. We are closed to the public today and I am through at the shelter at 12. I am going to take her out in the big playyard before I go home.

If anyone is looking for a calm older lady...she's your girl :)

TAR HEEL MOM 04-24-2014 09:21 PM

We were slow today and I had a couple of hours to spend with Angel. She is so awesome on a leash. Does not pull or try to lead. We walked all over the grounds. I didnt turn her loose with other dogs but did some face to face with others. She showed no agression but was seemed a little scared of others. I kept her in the lobby with me for a long time so she could experience other humans. I alsobtook her back to the park where I could let her off leash. She still runs the perimeter. She wants out so badly. She wont come to me when I call because she knows we are going back in. If I reach for her she darts away. However when she us on leash she will sit perfectly by my side and let me do anything I want to her. I can brush her, kiss her snout, rub her all over, anything. She even seems to enjoy the attention. I think she is slowly relaxing. I wish I felt.completely comfortable turning her off leash with another dog because she seems to almost crave interaction with fellow dogs.

Doany of you have anysuggestions for what we should be doing to make her more adoptable?

kjdreyer 04-25-2014 09:23 PM

Hi, just linked to this thread from the other senior owner relinquish, my goodness I hope I never ever am in that kind of situation. I'm glad you're there to help! Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way to get in touch with other people who have her puppies? That kind of link might prompt someone to adopt her.
Good luck!

TAR HEEL MOM 04-25-2014 09:53 PM

I know three of the owners from Tar's litter and.none.of.them are in the position to take her. It really breaks my heart. But I will NOT give up on her.

TAR HEEL MOM 04-28-2014 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep refreshing this in case anyone out there has yet to see it. Here is my girl Angel and myself from last Saturday's Rabies Clinic at the shelter. I purposely brought her out and kept her with me for a good bit of time. Hundreds of people and dogs for her to be around. She is doing so great now!!! She is like a different dog. When I open her kennel gate and walk away from her she runs to me! She loves being handled and rubbed. She has become a dog that acts as if she wants to literally crawl into my body :) I love her so much. I really hope for her to be in a home soon. She is becoming very bonded to me and I don't want her to suffer another loss :( Oh how I wish I could bring her home with me.