39 PB GSD's in DURHAM NY - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #101 (permalink)
Elite Member

I kind of agree that we don't have an over population of pets. To a point. Almost ALL of these pets in shelters had homes, a lot of those that surrender or drop off their animals will get another one, just not the one they had. There really isn't a huge problem with too many animals, just a huge problem with finding owners that will fulfill their obligations to an animal for it's entire life. Responsibility seems to be an easy thing to shift these days. Millions of puppies will find their way into homes this year and millions more will be dropped off when they've outlived their usefulness to whomever bought them.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #102 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOH1 View Post
Yeah, I know that is an unpopular stance - the same as spay/ neuter at a young age is shortening/ killing our pets.

Ingrained beliefs are so hard to dispel.
One can always find evidence that supports what one wants to believe. One can always find reasons to discount any evidence that does not support what one wants to believe.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #103 (permalink)

Don't know selzer- I tend to agree when there are scientific studies that support the harm in early neutering.

I can understand shelters adopting out neutered pets. Shelters have no clue who is or is not responsible so...........those pets are expendable in their eyes.

As far as pet population - yes there are some pounds that have a legit problem with overpopulation.
My area imported dogs from Puerto Rico. Was fun as they came in sick and made our local dogs sick.
UFOH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #104 (permalink)
Elite Member

In the absence of facts, wild speculation, hysteria and paranoia have run amok on this thread. Sheilah (sit,stay) made a valiant effort to bring balance and common sense to this conversation… but, it all seems to be for naught.

The bottom line is that nobody knows the facts of this particular case yet…. I find it highly amusing that people are citing facebook posts as facts.

Sheilah did this thread a great service by laying out the SOP of shelters post-seizure. Her experiences mirror my own.

If the woman in question did not have the legal right to surrender some of the dogs in her possession, it will be worked out through the legal system. Of course, by the time all of the FACTS come out, most of the people who have contributed to this thread will have long since lost interest.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #105 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOH1 View Post
Don't know selzer- I tend to agree when there are scientific studies that support the harm in early neutering.

I can understand shelters adopting out neutered pets. Shelters have no clue who is or is not responsible so...........those pets are expendable in their eyes.

Dr. Becker: The Truth About Spaying and Neutering - YouTube

As far as pet population - yes there are some pounds that have a legit problem with overpopulation.
My area imported dogs from Puerto Rico. Was fun as they came in sick and made our local dogs sick.
UFOH1, you're new here, so you don't know me, or my opinions on spaying or neutering. It has nothing to do with this thread. Both sides of any argument can cite studies and find evidence to support what they believe.

As for pet over-population, when you can walk into a shelter anywhere, and plunk down $25-$125 and walk away with a dog, we have too many dogs out there. Too many people take home dogs because they are readily available. Too readily available.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah

Last edited by selzer; 02-16-2014 at 12:27 AM.
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Looks like this has been going on for awhile.
RESCUE RAIDS: HUMANE/SPCA/ANIMAL CONTROL SEIZURE RACKET, TheDogPress
That was a scary read.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #107 (permalink)
Master Member

This is not the first seizure that I've heard of that people thought was shady. But it seemed like no one cared too much to really do anything about it because of the breed of dog. Definitely some questions that need answered in this case, I hope what people are saying isn't true but I would not be shocked if it was.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #108 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah~ View Post
This is not the first seizure that I've heard of that people thought was shady. But it seemed like no one cared too much to really do anything about it because of the breed of dog. Definitely some questions that need answered in this case, I hope what people are saying isn't true but I would not be shocked if it was.
What particular questions need to be answered in this case? And, what facts are you basing your need for answers on?
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 AM   #109 (permalink)
Master Member

The same questions being asked by everyone else, and the same facts everyone else has. Are they refusing to scan for microchips? If so, why? Are people from other countries showing proof of ownership and the shelter is still refusing to return them? If so, why? And so on and so on... I get that facebook comments and such are not facts but just because the article didn't say it doesn't immediately make it not true and if there are a lot of people saying this than it should be addressed, IMO. Especially since it seems like this is going to get a lot of publicity, and if they don't have anything to hide there should be no problem doing that.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofRiley View Post
What particular questions need to be answered in this case? And, what facts are you basing your need for answers on?
I believe most folks are questioning the following quote (presumably factually quoted) in the article originally linked back in post #36:

Claims have surfaced of co-owners in Europe for some of the dogs, but CGHS/SPCA President Ron Perez said if that was the case, it ended when Verdeschi agreed to surrender the dogs to the humane society.
“There’s a bunch of charlatans that have popped up claiming ‘We own this one, we own that one,’” he said. “We own all of them. She signed them over to us. If there’s a breach between some interested party and the defendant, that’s between them.”

Friends: Verdeschi ?loved those dogs?

That bold statement doesn't sound like he has the best interests of the animals at heart, or possible rightful owners, and that there could easily be a more selfish motive to taking possession of the animals.

Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; 02-16-2014 at 01:49 AM.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.