Sacramento, CA area - 2yr old intact Male Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sacramento, CA area - 2yr old intact Male Shepherd

Hello!

Otto,an intact male purebred, just turned 2 this month. He is tan/black.

I bought him from a co-worker just this last spring. He does not get along with my other dog no matter how hard we try. Everyone is telling me to have him fixed and that will solve it but I don't think it will since they now have there own "territories" and they are fighting over family attention as I was told by a breeder I do keep them separate, but a few weeks ago, one got through the gate and they got into another fight. It's not fair to them, and it's tiring trying to keep them apart and splitting my little extra time between both.

Otto has been through the Pestsmart training with the previous owner when he was a pup. He does "sit" and "stay" commands while he is waiting for his dinner. He is high strung and very active. I don't know how well he does on a leash, my husband was working with him and he's been gone since August. I don't know if he is potty trained, he has been an outside dog since we have had him and I believe the previous owners had him outside as well. I don't think he will do well with cats or other small animals, I am not sure of this either. We have a teacup pig that is fenced in our front yard and it doesn't look promising when he tries jumping the fence to get to him. He is great with people and kids!!! Loves to play!!!!

I am asking a re-homing fee of $100.00 for him.
sherrbeary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Please neuter him prior to placing him in a new home. Unless he has some rare bloodline, he doesn't need to be used as a breeding male and leaving him intact will attract some potential adopters who see dollar signs dancing in front of their eyes.

Have you contacted GSD rescues in your region to see if they will do a courtesy posting of him on their website? That would be my first move if I needed to rehome one of my dogs.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
Please neuter him prior to placing him in a new home. Unless he has some rare bloodline, he doesn't need to be used as a breeding male and leaving him intact will attract some potential adopters who see dollar signs dancing in front of their eyes.

Have you contacted GSD rescues in your region to see if they will do a courtesy posting of him on their website? That would be my first move if I needed to rehome one of my dogs.
Sheilah
Funny you should say that, I just emailed GSD and mentioned that I would get him altered if this improves his chance on getting a good home and what you said does make sense. I am looking into that!! Thank you
sherrbeary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Yes, definitely tell those rescues that you would be willing to foster him during the adoption process - they should be able to help you cover the neutering etc.

Look for a rescue that allows foster input in the homes chosen (not just the first person who expresses an interest in a dog but an actual match) and does vet references and a home check.

The rescue I volunteer with got a great volunteer from an owner surrender foster! She fostered a dog she had adopted from a shelter who was not at all a match for her - and he is in a great family who is.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.