Eureka, California, GSD, Male, 3 years, neutered, - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eureka, California, GSD, Male, 3 years, neutered,

Eureka-California-Charlie-Male-Neutered-3 years old-German Shepherd.

Charlie originally came from a family on Long Island who gave him to a man via craigslist at 10 months old when they figured he wasnít the right dog. The man relisted him on Craigslist for re-homing in Brooklyn, NY where I saw the ad and decided spontaneously to meet Charlie. Unfortunately, Charlie was skittish and fearful of passers-by, cars, loud noises, and me. He was emaciated, dirty, had oozing wounds around his neck, and no veterinary history. I did the humane thing and didnít allow Charlie to go home with the man; instead, I took him into my home immediately. He was cleaned up, given a full vet check and shots, treated for an ear infection, skin infection, giardia, intestinal upset, and quickly neutered. He took some basic training, but didnít seem to enjoy sit, quiet, touch commands etc. I decided to move Charlie from Brooklyn to California when I couldnít find a suitable home for him. In California, he began to thrive; he filled out, exhibited happier behavior, and began to trust me. Looking back, I should have placed Charlie with people experienced with Shepherds, but I had the time, money, and dedication while too many rescues donít have those things.

I originally took Charlie in with the hopes of delivering him to an individual capable of providing Charlie with a permanent and stable loving home and maybe even a job; unfortunately, I became sidetracked in my mission and ended up spending the last two and a half years bringing him up as my own and not even actively searching for a new home for him. Reality is beginning to set in now that my life is changing, and in two years or less, there wonít be time for Charlie in my life. My situation will become highly unstable, and that is not the environment for a sensitive shepherd like Charlie.

So, I am beginning the search for a new home for Charlie as early as I can. Charlie is currently in a loving home where all of his needs are met and will remain that way until a suitable home is found.

Here is Charlieís profile:
Now, Charlie has some tendencies not favorable to certain folks, so here they are: he has been friendly with submissive dogs, but ignores them in favor of your companionship, he will not tolerate strange dogs charging at him, he will turn tense and bark wildly as a warning, he has never been around children, because he is large and roughhouses with me so I never had him exposed to a child-friendly playtime. Charlie LOVES the sound of his own voice. He gets excited and barks at the smallest of things, knocking, intruders, yelling, a strange car pulling into the driveway etc. He is average energy for a dog his age and temperament: he absolutely needs two long walks a day and easy play in the evening. When Charlie comes back from the beach, he brings 2 Ĺ tons of sand with him. He sheds and he drools.

Charlieís character: He HATES vacuums, he loves his Kong ball (the black ones the most), he likes 4 miles on the beach in the morning and 5 miles at sunset, with tug o war shortly thereafter, he like a large rawhide chewie in the evening, he likes a cozy bed but my shredded sweaters have proven acceptable, on hot days, heíll lay on the cool part of the tile you just mopped, his favorite place in the world is in the back of a pick up truck or the back of his Yamaha Rhino (a 4 x4 off road vehicle), he likes the feeling of sawdust on his fur when he stands behind you while you are using a chainsaw, he likes the cool part of the soil on a hot day, he does not like to get up on human furniture and he does not jump. He LOVES the hose rushing water at his face at 20mph, his best friend is an older beagle with whom he thinks he hunts mice, heís not sure what cats, chickens, horses, or cows are, but has barked at them nonetheless. He loves snow, and will sit in it for hours, but he becomes cranky in extreme heat. Charlie would prefer to live somewhere where weather is moderate. Charlie likes to run downhill at a suicidal rate using his tail as a propeller.
Medical:
He has not shown medical problems since I adopted him nor has he shown any weakness in his rear, legs, hips or otherwise. All that leads me to believe he will remain a healthy dog for a long time. He also has fabulous teeth so says his vet. A year ago, Charlie suffered an open pneumothorax when he inhaled a foxtail into his lung, the recovery was a massive success and he shows no after effects. He has a bite-free history and a certificate of non-aggression from our vet (required for our landlord). Charlie also has the unfortunate tendency to leave his penis unsheathed most of the time, it gets chapped and dirty but I let him clean it himself and the vet sees no reason that it is in any danger of becoming a problem but it does call for strange questions from young children and weird looks from passer bys. He is up to date on all his shots, and he is on flea and tick control because we are very outdoorsy people. He is 95-100lbs.

Note: I am willing to drive to the following areas (within reason) to meet you:
North of Los Angeles, central and northern California, Oregon, west Nevada, (Washington, Idaho, and Montana if you are super perfect for Charley). I am not interested in halfway meetings because I will want to see your home. I have emailed two german shepherd rescues in CA to advertise on their owner referral page but have heard no response.

Iíve said quite a lot; so Iíll leave it up to the community to ask questions, give feedback, suggestions etc. If anyone would like to meet Charlie, please email me. Sharon.mulready@gmail.com
Charlieís glamour shots can be seen at Flickr: Charley06102009's Photostream
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.