Detroit,MI 10 month old male needs new home... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Detroit,MI 10 month old male needs new home...

I have a 10 month old unaltered male german shepherd who needs a new home. He is fear aggressive to people and reactive to other dogs. Except my other two. He needs an experienced home only with preferably no children. The reason that I need to find him a home is because I am not able to manage him enough to keep my children's friends out of " danger". There has been one bite. Did not draw blood but was not a play bite. He has been through puppy class as well as basic obedience. He passed basic the first time but there was only one other dog in the class so I repeated to work on his ability to focus on commands with other dogs present. He is a beautiful dog and very sweet with myself and husband and 2 children( ages 11&13). I have been told by my trainer as well as a behaviorist that he can improve from where he is now but will likely always require some degree of management. Please message if you are interested or would like more info.
jenniecc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know people in MI that might be able to help you out. Are you really stuck?
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Please neuter him ASAP - before placement. You may also be pleasant surprised at the brain clearing that can produce. Not saying it will fix his behavior, but it might help him.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am pretty stuck. The only reason I haven't neutered him yet is because my vet advised my to wait because of his growth. He had some trouble with swollen elbows back in September. He was X-rayed for ED but came back clean. No issues. He is a big boy-about 85 pounds at least. He grew pretty fast. I was also told that it wouldn't have any effect on his fear issues so I have been trying to do what's best for him medically.
jenniecc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Whatever the reason in the past, this is new and now and you cannot let a dog like this go to another home unneutered.

Dogs who are passed on from one home, can be passed on to others. You cannot guarantee that the next home that will get him will be his forever home either. Intention isn't enough - everyone on here that has rehomed a dog I bet never got that dog with the intention of doing so (other than foster dogs). So for the safety and sake of this dog, have him neutered.

Has good info on placing a dog yourself - links to each new section at the bottom: Do You Really Have to Place Your GSD?
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I agree with Jean, the situation has changed, and you are trying to do the right thing for him. He would be more adoptable if neutered.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would contact this rescue to help in placement. German Shepherd Rescue of Michigan, INC
East side of the state

Andrea Kyriacou
Detroit, MI
Email: akyriacou@ameritech.net
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 4 yr old and 14 yr old GSD. Both from a rescue and considered unadoptable. My 4 yr old is fear aggressive. We have made great progress in 1 yr. Is there any medical problems that could be causing it? Sometimes it doesnt show up but can cause fear and discomfort and he will act out. Mine had fistuals and has colitis. Very painful. He went through a lot of people and unneeded pain. We have it under control now and his attitude has changed dramatically. He should also have experienced dog owners around him so he can see that other people and animals will not hurt him. I would love to work with him. Love, time and LOTS of patience are needed but it can be done. Wish you the best.
shepard mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
you cannot let a dog like this go to another home unneutered.

When placing intact animals there's a huge risk someone will snatch them up to be a backyard breeder and that would perpetuate the bad nerves/poor temperament into the gene pool which is already overpopulated with bad nerves and poor temperaments.

Get him neutered and ask a rescue for assistance with his placement.
Petfinder | Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder is a great place to find a rescue in your area.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hope you find a new home soon..
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.