Detroit,MI 10 month old male needs new home... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just posted to you about your situation and I cant stop thinking about your dog. I live in Ida, MI. Can I try and help you and your dog? Please e-mail me , there is hope and you might regret your decision to give him up. I look forward to hearing from you. suzannebastien69@yahoo.com
shepard mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

I will have him neutered ASAP. He is not a dog that ever should be bred. It honestly didn't occur to me that someone would take him for that purpose. He is such a project I assumed the only person willing to take him on would only have his best interests at heart. My own shortsightedness.
jenniecc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

It's terrible to think of, I know, but people see fear aggression and think, wow, what a guard dog.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am glad you'll be neutering him, it really is for the best before placing him.

Unfortunately people lie Please also be very very thorough in screening potential adopters..GET References! Vet references especially..

Would the breeder take him back?

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

My fingers are crossed. I am meeting someone tomorrow to look at Bear. He sounds great....experienced shepherd owner whose dog recently passed. He and his wife have no children at home, and no other dogs. They do have a cat....not sure how Bear will react to the cat but he gets along well with my jack Russell so I'm hopeful. He is a friend of a friend so I feel good about his intentions. My only question is this...I am now paranoid about the fact that Bear isn't neutered yet. Is it unreasonable for me to make neutering a part of the adoption? I am willing to pay...I just haven't had time to get it done since my eyes were opened to the potential bad outcomes. He is still interested in Bear even after hearing about the "bite" incident....my vet can't get Bear in for neutering for several weeks. If he is still interested in Bear after meeting him( I am fairly certain Bear won't make a great first impression) is it wrong for me to insist on neutering?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

My breeder feels it will be better for Bear if we keep him while looking for another home. I was pretty upset with the breeder originally but I have to say they have come thru big time. They are willing to replace Bear with another puppy and help me rehome him. I agree that going from my home to theirs and then to another would be pretty traumatic for Bear. My situation with him has been fairly complicated but I am very happy with the results. It's been a lot of heartache but I do feel they have come thru for us.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would neuter him before letting him go, and does it have to be your vet? You could maybe find another that will do it within a couple weeks. Though with the holidays, I'm sure everyone is blocking out their schedules more than normal.
People can promise all sorts of things and not follow through(excuses, excuses!)so neutering him before he goes would be best. And if Bear decides to run off due to a female in heat at least you know it wasn't your fault. BUT if you trust this person to be responsible, then letting Bear go to him sooner may be best for your family and their safety.

If this breeder replaces Bear, what guarantee do you have that this next pup won't have similar issues?
agree with them, best for Bear to stay w/ you until a suitable home can be found....as long as your children are safe.
If this doesn't work, please contact the GSD rescue to see if they are willing to help in placement.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-14-2012 at 06:31 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I definitely agree with the neutering before he goes. I am sure your vet knows you well enough by now to try to get him in sooner, particularly if you explain what is going on.

I would want vet references and the visit to be at their home. Did I post the GSRNE info on here? Nope! It starts here, gotta keep clicking. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

The breeder has sold mom and will no longer breed with the father. 2 of the 4 puppies from this litter had issues similar to Bears. I will admit to being pretty unhappy with them originally but once we explained our position to them, I feel that they have stepped up. If the gentleman is still interested in him after meeting with him, I will talk about the neutering before releasing him. I hate to have Bear lose a new home that can better handle him because we insist upon doing it before we turn him over to him. But I hate the idea of Bear being thrown in a kennel and being mistreated more. I could hold his papers or charge a fee that's refunded upon proof of neuter or both if he seems interested tomorrow. If he really wants him though, he should be willing to wait a week or two for me to get him in somewhere for the neuter though right??
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rescue can't help because of the bite. And I won't let him go without explaining why I am rehoming him. I actually start off any conversations I have with the bite and the reasons why my home isn't suitable. He has the potential to be such an amazing dog for the right household. No kids, no other dogs( although he might be ok) and an experienced owner. He deserves more then a crate/kennel. If they are still interested, I do plan on taking Bear to their house the next day. It gives them the nit to think it over and me the ability to see where he would live. I can't stomach the though of him being abused somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.