German Shepherds Forum banner

FredD dog Wiley needs a new home

10K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 ·
Back in August of this year I lost a good friend named Fred Dubiel, some of you have had the chance to know Fred. We are trying to help Fred's wife Linda to find a home for one of Freds dogs Wiley or as some of you knew him as Brix. He is located near Detroit Michigan. Wiley has been neutered. Anyone interested please call 870-736-4737

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Maureen. Wiley is a 3 year old neutered male. He has always been a woman's dog or favors women. Anyone interested can contact me either at the number above or via pm and I will give you the phone number to Fred's widow Linda which can tell you more about him as I'm just posting as a favor to her and specially to find this boy that forever home

#4 · (Edited)
She should ask local rescues or the German Shepherd Rescue of Michigan to help her in safely placing him. The GSD rescue is based in the Detroit area / they can do an evaluation on him.

East side of the state
Andrea Kyriacou
Detroit, MI
Email: akyriacou@ameritech.net

What happened to the other thread on Wiley?

#9 ·
I know that they had small dogs also that he lived with and if I'm correct his breeder had cats when he was there for the first 6 months of his life. Not sure exactly if he did well with cats. You are welcome to pm me and I will give you the contact number in which you may get better information from Fred's widow Linda

#12 ·
He is a beautiful boy. But I would really suggest you take the initiative to find someone to evaluate him. Many people won't go past the initial post if the information isn't there and if there are any issues, often owners don't consider them issues so don't say anything about them...that's how I ended up with an anxiety ridden, cat killing, doberman for a foster for 9 months and I'm NOT saying Wiley is like that dog just using my example. So, if you know anyone in the Michigan area that can go take the dog out and evaluate him that would be ideal. The more information you can post first hand, the better chance he will have of finding a home. I'm just giving you my experience with posting a dog here or any other forum.

#13 ·
It's amazing to me that people will adopt a dog from a shelter halfway across the country based on a picture on the internet and a death sentence, but little to no info or only basic info as in "he sniffed a dog today and didn't growl so we'll label him dog friendly" (hey, I've done it too, I know they tug at your heartstrings), but a gorgeous decently bred beautiful young adult sable that is in good health and presumably has a decent temperament has trouble being placed.

OP has provided a nice picture, some basic info, and appears to be quick to give the phone number of the owner who can surely tell interested parties anything they'd like to know. IMHO if someone was serious about adopting him, they'd PM OP for contact info. People email with shelters back and forth all the time to try to find out if a dog is dog/cat/kid friendly, and talk to breeders. Why would they not just pick up the phone and call the owner as has been requested?

#16 ·
ADMIN NOTE: If anyone is interested, Please phone the contact number. That is the best bet to get the info a person wants.

Chuck has been clear that his knowledge of the dog is limited and inquiries need to go to the owner. Let's stop the harassment from people who feel that things should be done differently.

And if you wonder where you post went, it got deleted.

#18 ·
Thanks but I think this boy would do well soon as we are able to place him, we are working with a couple rescues which i hope will improve the chances of finding that precious home soon

#22 ·
Gosh hope Wiley gets his home soon! he is such a nice dog. I remember many of Fred's posts about him.

I have 3 now and cannot have any more or I would seriously consider him.

#24 ·
Your direction in this thread is to call the #for information. Maybe there is another way to help Brix/Wiley in his location/asking the local GSD rescue to help?

#26 ·
So is the rescue courtesy listing him? I didn't see him on their site.

#27 ·
I know we in rescue make it all look so easy :rofl: but to place an adult, male GSD typically takes time and patience. Anything beyond total pet lengthens the time needed. Add sable, depending on your area - yeah, I know it seems weird to everyone here - if we could fine lightly pigmented black/tan (silver) saddle backed GSDs with good temperaments, we would have a high adoption rate! My non-temp fosters in the past few years have been with me 10 months (sport dog), 1 year (senior), 8 months (an old health issue), 10 months (health/shy).

When you look at the board itself as a place to adopt a dog out, it is not a very effective (in terms of percentages) place to do that either. I just don't want people to have high hopes that this will be THE place to have an adoption happen.

Rescues can help in many ways beyond the courtesy listing. They can go through adopters and applicants to see if the dog is a match with any. They can help in the screening process. They can help support people with training resources, evaluations, and vetting info. Courtesy posting is just one way to help.

I am not local to Wiley and so do not know the best resources available in terms of rescues, but I would focus on them for sure with the understanding that they are really busy too. I am very sorry for Wiley and for Fred's wife and family.

#28 ·
Jane I would be happy to give you Linda's number and she can answer your your questions. I know white paws knows about him also since Maureen has talked to me and also Linda about him and she set up a evaluation on him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.