|09-01-2014 12:16 PM|
Thanks for all of the replies. Sandor is doing great. He's back at full energy and feeling wonderful (which is making us crazy because he's still on restricted activity!). We've gotten lots of new toys/mental stimulation toys and we've been doing lots of free shaping to keep him busy. He also loves Himalayan Yak Chews, so we grabbed a couple of those to keep him quiet. He's been napping a lot as the pain meds keep him pretty drowsy.
(Can't get the photo to upload the right direction, but he's still super cute in his t-shirt)
|08-29-2014 10:22 PM|
Your poor puppy!!!
I am with the others. With foreign bodies, you don't wait. If you are relatively sure, you cut. Barium studies, while useful, can be falsely negative and positive. I have been a part of many negative exploratories. They happen. It's not uncommon and does not mean your vet did anything wrong. Most foreign bodies do not show up on X-ray.
Try to keep your pup as quiet as possible. Walks on leash for potty and that it, for a week or so.
|08-29-2014 07:55 PM|
I honestly would have rather they cut open and found nothing, then to wait and have my puppy possibly die..
Sure we never want unnecessary surgeries but vets aren't gods either..
|08-29-2014 07:20 PM|
I had a great doctor once say "if you don't have negative foreign bodies, you're not cutting enough".
What he meant was - it's dangerous to wait too long. Intestine starts to died. Then it will eventually leak. The dog will then go septic. Then the dog dies. If you wait until the intestine is dead, then instead of a simple incision into the intestine you actually have to cut out entire sections. Much higher risk of suture failure, sepsis.
As I said above many times you can never be 100%. You have to go off clinical signs and what the diagnostics look like. If you wait too long your dog could easily be dead. Sometimes it is just safer to go in and cut
|08-29-2014 07:17 PM|
|Anubis_Star||I work with board certified specialists - who have NEGATIVE foreign body surgeries! unless it's a linear fb (something hard your can obviously see on xrays) then you can never be 100%. Even if you get an ultrasound done, sometimes it will STILL look like a foreign body but the surgery could be negative (thinking of a cat we cut. Xrays looked like a foreign body. Internal medicine doctor came in and said it looked like a foreign body on ultrasound. We cut, no foreign body. I would guess it was a hairball that was finally pushed through with iv fluids)|
|08-29-2014 04:40 PM|
Do you have any animal specialty hospitals in the area, when I don't
like a diagnosis I take my dog to Animal Specialty Group in Los Angeles, they are the absolute best.
|08-29-2014 09:31 AM|
I would never do a surgery without being 100% sure about something. Poor pup, I'm sorry you're going through this.
I think if you're careful and go slow, you can take him to the elevator and outside, but be careful of stairs.
So if they didn't find anything obstructing, did they figure out what was causing the sickness?
Fingers crossed for a smooth recovery. Just try to keep him quiet and he should heal up ok!
|08-28-2014 06:34 PM|
Help! What to do after surgery?!
So Sandor (our 4 month old white GSD) started throwing up on Tuesday afternoon, kept throwing up through the night and into the morning. He also had a nasty bought of diarrhea.
We took him into the vet on Wednesday morning and they said he had a fever and wanted to do x-rays for a possible bowel obstruction. They gave him antibiotics and fluids, did the x-rays and saw strange gas patterns and were concerned about the placement of his stomach.
They kept him for the day and x-rayed him 2 more times throughout the day/evening. We met the vet at 7:20 pm last night and she went over everything and sent us home with him with instructions to bring him back in the morning for another x-ray to see if surgery was needed.
Brought him back this morning and the new vet on duty does the x-ray says he's still concerned and is 90% sure there is something that needs to be removed. He says he can do a barium test, but that it isn't really necessary since he's 90% sure and then we'd have to wait until tomorrow to do the surgery. He says that if we wait Sandor could get worse, especially if there is an obstruction.
They do the surgery and there is NOTHING there. NOTHING. Not a gosh darn thing. So upset right now that they did an unnecessary surgery on my poor puppy.
So now to my question- We are going to follow up with a new vet, but in the mean time, when we bring him home tonight is there anything I should do to make it easier on him/us?? I was thinking of getting Puppy pads to keep him from having to go down the elevator and outside (we live in a condo). What do I do with him tomorrow, I'll be home with him all day. How do I keep him comfortable??
Please any advice is SO welcome, I'm a new puppy Mom and terrified!!