German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Am I being overly obsessed or..? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-06-2014 11:02 PM
Juliem24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I leave my dogs with a friend for a week each April. While I miss them in general, and often think "oh they would have SO much fun" on the beach or whatever I'm doing, it is nice to not have my schedule constantly dictated by dogs that need to potty, need to eat, need exercise, yadda yadda. In August we go to a cottage for 2 weeks and take them along, so we get a dog vacation and a no dog vacation. I also think it's good for my dogs to be away from me for an extended period once a year, so they can function without me and my dog sitter can tell me if there are any holes in their training as far as being able to settle down in someone else's house and not stress out.
I agree, I'm over the moon about the dog, as I am about my husband. But, it's good to get away even for a little bit...for all of us. But I'm a farm kid, never had dogs in the house as a kid, so I see them more as partners. Maybe that's why I don't obsess. I do have more to consider though with the GSD than with any other dogs I've ever had with the exception of an afghan rescue I once has: that dog was a hot mess.
07-06-2014 09:14 PM
Liesje I leave my dogs with a friend for a week each April. While I miss them in general, and often think "oh they would have SO much fun" on the beach or whatever I'm doing, it is nice to not have my schedule constantly dictated by dogs that need to potty, need to eat, need exercise, yadda yadda. In August we go to a cottage for 2 weeks and take them along, so we get a dog vacation and a no dog vacation. I also think it's good for my dogs to be away from me for an extended period once a year, so they can function without me and my dog sitter can tell me if there are any holes in their training as far as being able to settle down in someone else's house and not stress out.
07-06-2014 09:03 PM
lalachka I am anxious for sure. I installed a camera so I can see what he does when I'm gone and once I saw that he sleeps I felt much better. I don't use the camera anymore, only the few first days, but it's there if I need to check on him
07-06-2014 08:31 PM
SuperG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4628 View Post
I always have anxiety leaving my dog at home when I go places, I feel like he misses me and I feel like he thinks I'm abandoning him! I'm going away on vaca for a week and idk how I can deal with leaving him with family, I just worry so much about him when I'm not with him that makes me not enjoy what I'm doing.. I miss him so much!Would you say this is overly obsessed?
I'd say it is somewhat an inevitability of life when owning a dog.....here's the upside about missing a dog while on vacation....coming home takes on a much better meaning and anxiousness to get back home. Relax and enjoy your vacation because the mental and physical break you get from a vacation will allow you to be the better steward of your dog rather than frittering yourself away worrying. Your thoroughness upfront with the proper accommodations for your dog should ease your worrying while away.....worrying after the fact rarely has positive benefit....thoroughness beforehand is golden.


SuperG
07-06-2014 08:29 PM
Hunter4628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxil View Post
that's the difference between lovers and careless breeders who are looking for money only.
no you aren't obsessed, every dog owner does the same, your puppy thinks you are the greatest guy in the whole world, well or ill he will love you forever and never forget you if you leave him for a couple of hours and the only way he may forget you is if he found someone better than you with him. Enjoy him as much as you can and never feel weird because you love him too much and ignore everyone who says you are too obsessed with him.
My mom always tells me I'm too attached to him and he's only a dog and I get so angry because he's not just a dog to me!
07-06-2014 08:27 PM
Hunter4628
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyMDBecker View Post
I am the EXACT same way. (sigh) I guess you could say we're obsessive. I live for my animals and hate when they can't come with me. I worry what they think when I'm gone too long. I don't think anyone will take care of them to my standards so that always upsets me. Soooooo I usually bring them on the trip. Husband doesn't always appreciate the extra "work" but oh well!
Same here no one else gives him as much attention as I do so I feel like he's going to be bored and lonely
07-06-2014 08:12 PM
Ace GSD You are not alone.... I gotta go out of the country for a month sometime this year and im worried sick about it.... ;(
07-06-2014 08:03 PM
steve-sh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxil View Post
that's the difference between lovers and careless breeders who are looking for money only.
no you aren't obsessed, every dog owner does the same, your puppy thinks you are the greatest guy in the whole world, well or ill he will love you forever and never forget you if you leave him for a couple of hours and the only way he may forget you is if he found someone better than you with him. Enjoy him as much as you can and never feel weird because you love him too much and ignore everyone who says you are too obsessed with him.
for me my obsession comes for some reason, i adore my dogs put my biggest obsession is the new puppy i got. the owner didnt want her and shes like 6-7 weeks im not sure and when i took her i showed her to the vet she had bite marks on the head so i got really obsessed and attached to her and dont feel i wanna leave her for 1 sec
07-06-2014 07:57 PM
Maxil that's the difference between lovers and careless breeders who are looking for money only.
no you aren't obsessed, every dog owner does the same, your puppy thinks you are the greatest guy in the whole world, well or ill he will love you forever and never forget you if you leave him for a couple of hours and the only way he may forget you is if he found someone better than you with him. Enjoy him as much as you can and never feel weird because you love him too much and ignore everyone who says you are too obsessed with him.
07-06-2014 07:53 PM
steve-sh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyMDBecker View Post
I am the EXACT same way. (sigh) I guess you could say we're obsessive. I live for my animals and hate when they can't come with me. I worry what they think when I'm gone too long. I don't think anyone will take care of them to my standards so that always upsets me. Soooooo I usually bring them on the trip. Husband doesn't always appreciate the extra "work" but oh well!
exactly my point. like sometimes my little puppy tries to jump up the sofa and i help her, my friend always looks at me saying leave her alone and dont help theres nothin wrong with the floor...

so thats why im always around small details and baby steps and memories ....
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com