|07-03-2014 10:20 PM|
Don't do anything until you get the thyroid levels balanced and he starts recovering. Many dogs do not respond well to the generic thyroid meds, so I would start with a name brand to make sure that it is working. Give the thryoid supplements twice a day, and away from food.
If you send to Dodds' for testing, it's much cheaper if you mail it in yourself.
With a thyroid that low, I would not expect your thryoid meds to be causing that significant of a drop by itself.
I personally believe that anti-fungals mess with the thryoid more, but there's not a lot of literature to back that up.
|06-27-2014 01:26 PM|
|asja||You could also try adding coconut oil to his food (virgin unrefined cold-pressed). It really seems to help. My dog has grown thick beautiful fur.|
|06-27-2014 12:32 AM|
Have you tried Starch free food, as in, RAW...zero starches/sugars - grains, milk etc. etc.
|06-26-2014 08:16 AM|
I know nothing about thyroid issues. But have you tried any grain free foods?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|06-26-2014 06:47 AM|
To preface, the vet said result was 0.2 in her message but when I talked to another one today, she referenced it as being 0.5. I don't know what happened there but it's still really low.
Try to keep in mind that I am just going by what his vet has told me and the little I've been able to find about it online. Like I said, I am ignorant in this area. I am trying my best to gather all info possible and not just act out of fear or whatever, but also have serious health problems of my own and that dictates everything. I am not going to be as knowledgeable or involved as some of you here seem to be. It's not possible, so please do not preach at me or expect me to know a lot about this. I am still learning. And to note, Dallas was part of this family prior to my own dx. Not that it's anyone's business but I've had some 'jump' at the chance to label me irresponsible for taking on this responsibility on top of ailing myself. That was not the case.
Thank you for the therapeutic info. I will take a look at it. Incidentally, the tech sent me home with a cat collar rather than one for a dog, which I didn't notice until getting home. Since I also have a somewhat neurotic cat, I just put it on her and will look for something more suitable for Dallas.
1. We are aware of the secondary yeast infection and continue treating it with round two of the original meds prescribed, excluding the antibiotic and adding ointment for his ears this time around. Maybe that wasn't clear in my previous post.
2. We are not in a 'rush' to neuter but when speaking with the vet, she did support the idea to do it sooner rather than later because of his age. She said it will be harder post-op because we've waited so long already. She told me to expect to have him crated and leashed for a little while post-op, and that hematoma is possible. I need to focus on keeping him down and healing, which will be hard. We had discussed this issue prior to any testing and it has been a major concern of mine for some time. Because of all the testing and multiple visits, it's likely the actual surgery won't happen for another month anyway, just to be able to afford it, not to mention the actual scheduling time. It's not like I'm going to call and get him in the very next day...
3. The underweight issue is something I asked about and vet told me it's because he's still intact but following the neuter, we will have the opposite problem and really need to monitor his diet and increase exercise. She said the majority of canine thyroid problems are hypo and that hyper is super rare, particularly in males. Also, Dallas has other symptoms consistent with the illness that I haven't mentioned. The weight issue is one of many and from what I understand, shouldn't be a sole basis for suspicion either way.
4. We are also considering the allergy testing at some point. Because it's so expensive, it will have to wait but eventually I want to know for sure. I spoke to a tech today, who suggested I switch to a base-diet of lamb/rice or venison/rice, which isn't something he'd be exposed to in other common food brands. I went with the lamb/rice to start. She also said absolutely NO corn meal and limited oats, which I will follow. We're doing this as a process of elimination deal, which seems to be the only way to know what the allergy is, at least until we can get that test done.
5. His coat, skin, nails, etc. are already a wreck. When the itching was really bad I shaved the bottom of his back to his tail to get ointment/some kind of relief for him on there easier. That has been over six months ago and it still hasn't grown all the way back in. He flakes also, which has been happening for a long time and assumed (until the pigmentation turned black) to be dandruff. Now I'm reading about more of his symptoms possibly being Seborrhea.
6. The vet suggested 2 weeks for follow-up labs. She also mentioned the possibility of a false result but given his other symptoms, believes we're on the right path. He was not on any meds during the latest tests. I don't know which T4 was performed.
|06-25-2014 11:59 PM|
|ugavet2012||Temaril p will make thyroid levels artificially low (due to the steroid in it), was he on that when tested?? Or had he been on it recently when blood was drawn? Free t4 or t4? I would be doing some more investigating especially since 3 is young to have this issue and your dog is underweight which is the opposite of what low thyroid causes.|
|06-25-2014 05:27 PM|
As a human that is hypo thyroid, I can tell you that having low thyroid levels will wreck havoc with hair, skin, nails and the digestive system, the reproductive system, etc. It takes a minimum of 30 days of supplementation for levels to normalize. Until the correct replacement hormone levels are found (trial and error). Repeat testing is usually done at 30 day and then every 3 months until a good maintenance dosage is found. Again, that is how it is done in humans. I don't see that process would be much different for dogs.
I wouldn't rush into any surgeries until you boy is at his best. You likely will find once the thyroid issues are resolved many of the skin issues will be resolved as well.
Best of luck.
|06-25-2014 02:51 PM|
What? Why the rush? Thyroid needs to come into balance and meds need to be adjusted.
3yrs old is fairly young age to be hypo. underweight is not usually a symptom, overweight - yes....there is more going on in this dog then a simple thyroid med will fix (IMO).
Do NOT neuter at this time.
|06-25-2014 02:44 PM|
|06-25-2014 02:02 PM|
|my boy diesel||
btw it is possible for your dog to be battling a yeast infection although secondary to low thyroid
you should treat for it as well as starting the thyroid meds which will gradually improve his quality of life
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|