|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|05-22-2014 09:03 AM|
I haven't tried it but gatorbytes did say it and I will def try it. Along with raw honey that she also suggested.
Thank you and good luck. She's sooooo lucky to have you.
|05-22-2014 05:15 AM|
Thanks Lalachka, very kind post I totally agree with you. If and when I decide to let her go it will be my decision. And it's not happening anytime soon, we have a good thing going right now except the allergies and we have a plan.
I hope you can find a treatment that works, you are comfortable with, and your vet is on board with. All I can suggest that isn't medicine is the coconut oil, Chip from this forum has had good luck with it and it is almost unanimously recommended for a natural remedy on the pit bull forum I am a member of I haven't read all of the replies from the other pages so if you tried that already or someone already said it, sorry
|05-22-2014 02:05 AM|
Don't pay any mind to what I say about my views on meds. Sometimes meds are the only option.
I totally understand the seizures being the number 1 priority, def follow what your vet is saying. I don't even know how raw goes with seizures even if you were able to afford it where you are.
Don't listen to my rants)))) I'm I'm a diff situation, I can afford to experiment. When you have seizures to worry about experimenting becomes really risky.
Poor dog, all at once. She can't catch a break. Bad enough she has seizures and incontinence but she has horrible allergies on top of it.
Though, if gatorbytes is right then her allergies might be a reaction to all the medicines she's getting and her immune system being overloaded (this is NOT a hint to refuse any medicines, just something to think about and maybe mention to your dermatologist though I'm sure he knows better and he knows about all the medicines she's taking and if this was a possibility then he probably has it in his mind).
I wish you two the best. As far as euthanizing, it's such a personal decision that I don't know why people even suggest it to others. It can be offensive if the person doesn't believe in 'euthanize because they're suffering' stuff.
Ask any person who's in pain, incontinent, has seizures, allergies, paralyzed, missing limbs, etc.-you-get-the-point if they want to be put out of their misery and most, if not all, will say that any life is better than death.
So if a person wants to keep their dog alive in a condition that some would say isn't worth living in - that's their business. I've heard people hint that it's animal cruelty to keep an animal alive with certain conditions. That's taking it a little too far. No one should be made to feel guilty because they won't euthanize.
|05-22-2014 12:59 AM|
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
It has been very hard to watch Xena go through all of these things, most of all her seizures. That is my #1 priority is that anything I do with her that nothing affect her seizure medication. We are 6 months seizure free and loving it!
I thought maybe her incontinence was from being spayed at 6 months but after sitting down and thinking about everything that's happened after I brought her home at 14 weeks she has always had this issue. The leaking in her sleep and as she walked, and anytime she relaxed pretty much. Caused a lot of housebreaking problems, the vet feels she was born with a weak sphincter, prescribed a new medicine (Proin) about a month ago and I am very happy with the results.
It seems like a lot when you look at all of it, I am sort of stuck between not wanting to overload her with medicine but also feeling like the medicine is her only option to live normally. I have been told it would be kinder to euthanize her but the vet does not agree, neither do I she is a very happy dog, full of life.
|05-21-2014 11:03 PM|
I agree about the itching and the suffering too. That's why I asked him if he has any relief for the itching. It's just that his solution was to again give him steroids which would be fine if they took care of the itching for the entire season. I can live with giving him a course of steroids once a year (I think lol. I'd have to check the side effects and look into what steroids are before committing though)
Problem is that they only work while he's on them, so it'd mean keeping him on for 5 months or so.
I'm not sure why he even suggested it and felt the need to mention tapering as of that was the answer to the 5 month problem.
Anyway, I don't want to get into another discussion about the vets. You work for a vet so you will take anything I say personal though it's not. We really had bad luck and so have my friends and we went to different vets.
I know there are good and honest vets out there, I read about them online))))) we just can't find one
|05-21-2014 10:56 PM|
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
I know, I think I said that somewhere. There are times when the only solution is the medicine and it does wonders. But vets (and docs for that matter) over medicate.
Also, as I said, steroids work wonders. Medicine def helps, I'm just trying to be selective about what I give him. I will never hold out on meds just because. If he needs them he will get them. And he got them in the past
|05-21-2014 10:55 PM|
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
If herbs and supplements work awesome I think there is definitely no harm in trying. But some allergies can be pretty severe and may just require medication to save the poor dog from suffering. I couldn't imagine if my body was that itchy
So OP if your dog's allergies get really bad this year go see a board certified dermatologist, not just a regular vet. Or go see a holistic vet like GatorBytes recommended and see if that helps.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|05-21-2014 10:52 PM|
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I live on allegra and mucinex in the spring and fall because my seasonal allergies get so bad and I'm plagued with severe sinus infections. I couldn't imagine not having my allergy medication.
Sometimes medicine isn't the worst for your dog, sometimes it really helps them
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|05-21-2014 10:50 PM|
Originally Posted by LifeofRiley View Post
This is not the first time I bought pills and didn't give them (diff vet). He called me 2 days later and said that now that the fecal is back I need diff meds and what he gave me earlier wouldn't kill what my dog had (so why did he give it? Why didn't he wait for the fecal to come back?)
|05-21-2014 09:56 PM|
Originally Posted by Sarah~ View Post
Also, IMO hypoallergenic food is still a chemical soup. I actually switched my dog to raw because of the allergies. I was about to walk the same path you're walking, hypoallergenic food, allergy testing and lifetime allergy shot when thankfully my friend said she was getting a case of tripe and do I want half and I decided to try.
His allergies didn't get better, they only went away in October. Of course it can be that it took a few months for him to detox (I started him in July or August) but I will wait to see what happens this summer to say anything for sure.
No matter what happens I'm staying with raw. After everything I learned about dog food and their nutritional needs I can't go back on it.
You're in a different situation though, you also have seizures to deal with.
And why is she incontinent? She's not even two??
No matter what yu do, I wish you the best. It must be heartbreaking for you to deal with this. I really hope you end up getting some solutions.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|