German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Advice on a new to us 10 mo German Shepherd Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
05-01-2014 12:03 AM
DaniFani
Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
OP, what exactly is your training experience? What about your wife? Have you been "certified" at one of the training schools? Apprenticed to a trainer? Do either of you do it professionally (i.e., you get paid to train dogs for other people)?

Or are you guys just trying to share your general knowledge with others? You know, training knowledge that you have picked up over the years that you have lived with dogs.

The reason why I ask is that people might be able to offer more specific advice if they had an idea of what you mean when you say you all are "dog trainers", since some might assume that you are professionals and give advice geared towards someone who does this for a living.
Sheilah
Agreed.

OP, so you are trainers and breeders? You mentioned your male has "thrown great pups."
04-30-2014 11:31 PM
Blitzkrieg1 I personally dont see anything wrong with leaving a dog on a chain as long as its done properly.

Proper shelter
Access to water
Appropriate interaction / stimulation
Proper health care

Chain would give the dog more space then many kennels. Its been debated before and people that have done both seem to be evenly split as to what they prefer. Personally, I just dont fancy my lawn getting torn up so I wont use a chain atm.

I did own a 1 year old female dutchy that spent her first year on a cable with little done with her. Quite a social dog and man was she in good shape.

Many breeders/trainers choose to do next to nothing with a dog until its a year old to see what they truly have.
04-30-2014 06:17 PM
Chip18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRivers View Post

One of our biggest concerns is that Sherman being the dominate male might clash with Marvel, although he is younger, than Sherman.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
RRivers
What you have is a dog pack and that means something! Basically you need to have your act together!

I would look very closely at Marvels attitude towards Sherman, 6 to 8 months from now. "If" you have problems, that relationship is where I would look for them to come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
OP, what exactly is your training experience? What about your wife? Have you been "certified" at one of the training schools? Apprenticed to a trainer? Do either of you do it professionally (i.e., you get paid to train dogs for other people)?

Or are you guys just trying to share your general knowledge with others? You know, training knowledge that you have picked up over the years that you have lived with dogs.

The reason why I ask is that people might be able to offer more specific advice if they had an idea of what you mean when you say you all are "dog trainers", since some might assume that you are professionals and give advice geared towards someone who does this for a living.
Sheilah
Yep this??
04-30-2014 05:57 PM
sit,stay OP, what exactly is your training experience? What about your wife? Have you been "certified" at one of the training schools? Apprenticed to a trainer? Do either of you do it professionally (i.e., you get paid to train dogs for other people)?

Or are you guys just trying to share your general knowledge with others? You know, training knowledge that you have picked up over the years that you have lived with dogs.

The reason why I ask is that people might be able to offer more specific advice if they had an idea of what you mean when you say you all are "dog trainers", since some might assume that you are professionals and give advice geared towards someone who does this for a living.
Sheilah
04-30-2014 04:51 PM
RRivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
are your current dogs all altered?
either please neuter the new dog
of course we will have folks argue that but the last thing you need is a teenage shepherd full of testosterone while you are trying to integrate the dogs into the house
and of course the guy who tied up a 6 mo old puppy for the past 4 mos does not need another dog
thank you for rescuing this one

time will tell how sherman and the new dog interact
Sherman is not neutered, and has been out on stud and thrown some beautiful pups, Max is neutered, and Yo-Yo is not neutered, and we haven't decided if we will neuter her or not at this point. One thing I will point out at this point is that all of our dogs have their own crates. We have found that crate training is one of the most effective ways to train any dog, whether it be to house break them, or to discipline them when they are bad. I have never laid a hand on a child or a dog in anger, nor has my wife, and our children will attest to the respect they have for us for never doing so. At the same time, if our pets, and the pets we have trained could talk, I am sure they would say the same. As for whether we will neuter Marvel, that depends on several factors, and they include, what his breeding line is, because we haven't seen his papers yet, whether he has any defaults that would prohibit his being a stud dog, such as hip dysplasia, or some other characteristics that could foul his offsprings. In this situation it is a go as we see it unfolding. I will say that we have had more than one large male in our home together at the same time in the past, without neutering them and it was not a problem, and both of them were German Shepherds. I believe that has a lot to do with they way we train and treat our dogs, and that they know they are a part of the pack, and that we are always the pack leaders. When we leave for any period of time, all of the dogs are crated, with the exception of the one we use as a watchdog which up to this point and foreseeable future will be Sherman.
04-30-2014 04:29 PM
RRivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair View Post
Hi welcome to the board and thank you for taking this dog in.

I agree with Blitz above, you're probably going to have to feel your way through this. A lot probably will depend on this dog's resilience and individual temperament.

I know you made a deal about 'if' the dog is breed worthy you'd consider breeding him and giving a pup to his owners.

There's a saying that when it comes to us humans the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. It's more then likely any puppy these folks get in the future will receive the same treatment as Marvel. So I hope that this boy will be deemed not breed worthy........

IMHO some people like the 'idea' of having a dog but really are just unwilling to put the work, time, effort and money required.

Good luck with this fellow!
I notice that many of you have mentioned not giving this young man another dog, and I would like to clarify some things. I do not blame this young man completely for the situation. For one he went off to basic training and left the dog in the care of his parents, and it was his parents who would not properly deal with the dog, and in my opinion that was because they had always been around hounds, and not a dog like Marvel. So it wasn't unusual for them to put him outside on a chain, because that is common practice among hunters, at least in this area. Second of all, the young man was chosen to be a part of special training that he had not anticipated, so he was away from the dog longer than he expected to be. Third, the young man had signed up for the National Guard, and not active duty, and he expected to be coming home after his training, however, once he was in and had taken his training the Army decided that he was needed and brought on to active duty, and he is now being shipped overseas. When the young man came home on leave, he realized there was a problem, tried to alleviate the problem but was not able to, and that was when he decided that we should have the dog. He has already agreed with us, that the only way that we would give him a puppy is that he would receive him after we had properly trained the puppy, and that he would never keep him on a chain, etc. When this young man left to join the service, the dog was still in the house, and was progressing on his training. It was after he left that everything feel apart.
04-30-2014 04:17 PM
my boy diesel are your current dogs all altered?
either please neuter the new dog
of course we will have folks argue that but the last thing you need is a teenage shepherd full of testosterone while you are trying to integrate the dogs into the house
and of course the guy who tied up a 6 mo old puppy for the past 4 mos does not need another dog
thank you for rescuing this one

time will tell how sherman and the new dog interact
04-30-2014 04:17 PM
RRivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
The dogs limited exposure to the world wouldnt bother me too much. Take him out and see how he responds to the world and various stimuli. Test him on surfaces, around noise, people and other dogs.
Shouldnt take you long to figure out what he is at his core.
Test his food drive and object drive after a couple of weeks to determine what motivates him.

Develop a training plan based on these results..shouldnt be an issue y'all are dog trainers.
All the things you mentioned are noted, and yes it will take a couple of weeks to see where he really excels, and where his deficiencies are. The first objective will be to insure that the other dogs accept him, and that he accepts them, under close supervision, of course. All of our dogs are housebroken, and to us are like children, provided he can fit into the atmosphere, he will just be another child for us. Some may not understand this but we treat our dogs in such a manner because we love them that much. We also live near a busy highway, so one of his first learning experiences will be learning where his boundaries are. We live on 3.5 acres with open fields behind our house so there will be plenty of room for him to roam once he learns his boundaries.
04-30-2014 04:08 PM
RRivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveGSDs View Post
You mentioned you and your wife are dog trainers, what methods have you been using with Marvel thus far. Do you not typically train dogs with this kind of history? Is it mandatory that your pack gets along and can co-exist around each other in the same space or are you prepared to crate and rotate if it comes to that? If he has lived on a chain and all he has known is a backyard, I would evaluate his temperament and behavior in the real world and go from there so you can assess what areas he really needs to improve on. I had a 10 month old foster years ago who grew up in a backyard and never knew anything outside of those parameters. He was a huge bag of nerves and even the rustle of leaves on trees set him off. I have also worked with dogs in similar situations who have bounced back in no time and didn't carry any of that baggage from their past life.

With any new dog in my home, they eat from my hand(mainly during training/engagement sessions) for at least the first two weeks. No food comes from a bowl or the ground so I can immediately start the trust and communication foundation.

ps there is no way in **** I would agree upon giving this person another puppy unless they commit to training classes and follow through with it...and vet care.
Well my wife had only been doing walks with the dog at the time she had started training the dog, to get acquainted with the dog, and he to her, you must understand that when she started the training the dog didn't even know his own name, and hadn't even been broke to lead.
04-30-2014 01:38 PM
PoukieBear I agree with everyone, do NOT give this guy a puppy!
The guy that we rescued Lako from never had him neutered, because he was wanting to make a quick buck by breeding him. He did ask us when we took him in that we would give him a puppy when we bred him.

Too bad buddy, he's getting neutered in less than a week! lol
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com