|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|04-17-2014 08:41 PM|
check here for flying advice
German Shepherd Dog Forums - Search Results
|04-17-2014 08:33 PM|
|Markes||Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. I hadn't much considered flying a pup in from a breeder. Does anyone have experience with pups this way? I had thought that the flying aspect could be traumatizing.|
|04-17-2014 07:58 PM|
AKC means zero, it means that they sent papers and paid the AKC a fee.
Good for you for doing your homework and following your gut to pass on this so-called breeder.
So many people give their money to horrible breeders and say they "rescued" the puppy. I don't understand this mindset. To me, it is keeping a bad business going.
I recommend reading this forum thoroughly on how to find a breeder who deserves to be supported.
|04-17-2014 07:52 PM|
|Liesje||Too early. It sounds like the breeder thinks they are ready to go because they are weaned? That concerns me more than a puppy going home at 6 weeks. It's not just about being weaned and eating solid food. They learn a lot from their littermates and should not be removed and sold just out of convenience.|
|04-17-2014 07:41 PM|
|RubyTuesday||I wouldn't trust a breeder placing 6 wk old pups. There are pups that do well when placed at 6 wks but for the many that don't there is no going back. It's just a very, very bad idea.|
|04-17-2014 07:34 PM|
AKC registration doesn't guarantee a good breeder/breeding. I would not buy from a breeder moving 6 week old puppies.
SAY NO to that breeder!!! Do a bit more research...and don't limit yourself to your area. There are many good breeders that will fly pups easily.
|04-17-2014 07:31 PM|
6 weeks seems too early?
First post but have been reading for a while. I'm military stationed in Minot, North Dakota... not many breeders around so we've been looking for a GSD for a while. (Don't want to adopt in the winter so we're not doing potty training in -50 degree weather)
My question is we found a litter of AKC pups. I contacted the breeder to see if we could go look, talk to them, possibly pick one out, put a deposit, and come back when they're ready... they typical suggestions that have been given.
The breeder said they are ready to go now and have been weaned from their mother and are eating and drinking on their own.
Everything I've researched has said 8-10 weeks, 8 is the fear imprinting, mom and brothers and sisters help with the biting, possibly more stable emotionally the longer they are with the litter, etc.
Bottom line is what do you think about a 6 week pup? On one hand I wonder if the sins of the breeder should hurt the puppy. We've got a great family that would welcome the puppy with open arms and know that a GSD is right for us.
On the other hand, are there potential problems/issues in the long run with a 6 wk puppy? I almost feel like it would be a rescue even though they are charging AKC prices for it. Should I say no to the breeder and wait another 6-8 mos to see if another litter comes available from another breeder within a 4 or 5 hour drive?
Thanks for any advice and opinions.