German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Grapes ?!?!?!? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
04-02-2014 12:32 PM
Oisin's Aoire Yeah , they are not allowed in my house because I worry about the kids dropping them or leaving them around...which is exactly what happened when my mom brought some in when she came to help while I was flat on my back in bed.

My 7 year old is good about house rules and knowing stuff like that , but she was sick in bed with me.

Mom goes down the ship just does not sail right.
04-01-2014 06:18 PM
wolfstraum the damage from grapes and raisins is cumulative....it causes kidney problems! Keep an eye on the dog for any issues, and do NOT FEED any more grapes or raisins.....A friend was mine was doing BARF and using grapes in his mix and the dog DID develop problems....luckily there was no permanent damage...I cannot remember the details now....but it took a while before she got sick.

Lee
04-01-2014 05:28 PM
shepherdmom For years and years my dogs ate grapes with the kids. Never thought anything of it.... Kids grew up moved away dogs still occasionally ate grapes with hubby, then I saw that it was on the list of bad foods for dogs. Dogs no longer get grapes but thankfully no one ever got sick from it.
04-01-2014 05:27 PM
gsdsar My greatest fear with Grapes and raisins is that no one understands why and how much some dogs are affected. So a 4 lb chihuahua can eat a lb a day and never have an issue, but someone give a 100lb Mastiff 1, and it's in kidney failure. You never know which dog is going to be affected or how much it will take. It's not a straight wt vs amt issue like chocolate. Never worth the chance.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
04-01-2014 05:25 PM
ApselBear I've never honestly heard of a dog getting sick from grapes. All I've ever seen is the internet warnings.
04-01-2014 05:17 PM
Harry and Lola I used to give my dogs grapes and raisin toast sometimes, until I read not to. I didn't have any problems.
04-01-2014 04:49 PM
Stevenzachsmom It can take as little as just over oz. of grapes to poison a 10 lb dog. Though not all dogs seem to suffer the effects of eating grapes and raisins, those that do will suffer severe and possible permanent kidney damage if not treated immediately. Since the exact toxic dose is unknown, and even the cause of the kidney failure is still unclear, it is recommended not to feed your dog ANY grapes or raisins.

This is from a link I posted a while ago. The author is veterinarian, Geoff Stein.
04-01-2014 04:00 PM
my boy diesel if kidney damage was present one would possibly choose supplements or even modified diet
04-01-2014 03:50 PM
Oisin's Aoire The peeing is his normal level of pee He is Raw fed and does not drink excessive water.

Everything with him is just as usual , vet said nothing to do. That the toxicity would have reared its head within 48 hours ((shrugs)) He said most dogs are simply unaffected while others dogs , regardless of size , can eat a handful of grapes and go down from it.

Well , I have a list for each kid on the inside of our cabinets ..what they eat , their activities , where their stuff is , bedtimes , etc .For the dogs I just have basic instructions like feeding times and how often they need to go out . It has not been updated since back when they were on kibble.

So I went ahead and did a thorough note for them too.Nobody knew "how " to feed them , to defrost stuff , and so on. My husband did ok with the feeding and walking , but there is now a red list of common items that are dangerous for dogs.

I started asking around and it seems plenty of people do not know about grapes ,onions . They know about chocolate ..but not other less publicized toxins.

And for some reason there is a prevailing myths that dogs cant have turkey?!?!?
04-01-2014 02:12 PM
ApselBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
would show kidney damage if present
kidney damage if mild may not be obvious at first
And your options then?
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com