German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Switching to raw - question about upcoming spay Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-29-2014 10:15 PM
Sunflowers Gotcha. Well, do go with your gut. If you feel she should be stronger when she goes under the knife, reschedule.
03-29-2014 07:28 PM
kjdreyer Lauri, thanks for the reply, I don't specifically give her vit E but I just started using Nupro, so I'll back off that till after.

And Sunflowers, by risk, I was just wondering if the timing of my switch wasn't the best. She had SIBO, although the last blood test and all her clinical signs indicate she's gotten past that. I've switched foods before, and I know it can play a little havoc on a dog's system, so when even her topcoat started shedding like mad, I was worried that I was weakening her system and immunity strength at a bad time, right before major surgery!

Plus, this is the first time I've gotten a puppy spayed myself, always having adopted from shelters, so I'm a more worried than I should be! Thanks for the replies!
03-29-2014 05:14 PM
Lauri & The Gang If you are giving her Vitamin E you will want to stop that at least 3 days prior to her surgery.

Other than that there's nothing to worry about in regards to the diet.
03-29-2014 03:48 PM
Sunflowers What kind of risk? I can't think of a single risk during surgery because of raw diet.

For coat, do try Feedsentials. The dogs I know who are fed raw with Feedsentials do not shed a lot at all.
03-29-2014 03:08 PM
kjdreyer bump!
03-28-2014 08:57 AM
kjdreyer Thanks for your reply, I do have a supplement coming from Amazon today!
03-28-2014 12:37 AM
TigervTeMar if you're concerned about her fur you could consider giving her 'Show Stoppers' supplement. it's for skin and hair, my breeder advised me to use it in addition to Hokomix. I don't know if my pup has naturally shiny hair but Show Stoppers certainly isn't hurting him he looks fabulous
03-27-2014 10:33 PM
kjdreyer
Switching to raw - question about upcoming spay

I've been giving Jedda a fair amount of RMB's, tripe, chicken/turkey necks and wings since she was a puppy (she's now 15 months old), but I was primarily feeding kibble (Fromm's LBP, then Merrick's grain free) and canned. For the last couple months, I've been feeding about 1/3 Honest Kitchen (dehydrated) 1/3 canned and kibble, and 1/3 raw. She's underweight, so I still feed her 3x a day. I decided to finally go with all raw, and over the last 2 weeks she's had only raw and Honest Kitchen. I am just finishing the boxes of HK, then we'll be all raw.

Anyway, she's been a shedding monster, but it was just undercoat, so I didn't think anything of it. Tonight I noticed a big patch of top coat that looks pretty thin - the skin underneath is fine, and she's not itchy, so after reading other posts, I'm gonna assume that's just the "detox". (Not sure if that's applicable when she's been on high quality food though?)

Ok, finally, my question: she's scheduled for her spay/gastropexy on April 4, and in addition to being a nervous nelly about her having to go under the knife, I just wonder if I'm putting her at any risk by switching her to all raw. Other than the patch of hair loss, she's had normal poo (still bigger and softer that I imagine it will be when we get off the HK), great appetite and energy - no negative effects that I can see. The hair loss worried me a little, and since she's always been underweight, I just don't want to mess with her system before surgery. I don't think another switch would be a good idea though either. Ack. Please advise! Thanks

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com