German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Spaying while in heat? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-29-2014 04:32 PM
Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Daisy, thank you for being so responsible. Many people in your situation would just let an "oops" litter happen hoping to line their pockets with puppy sales. Especially with two well-bred dogs.

I have an intact bitch in my possession at the moment. She is a breeding bitch for a guide dog org. When her motherhood career ends, she'll be mine, and I cannot WAIT to spay her. Heat cycles are such a pain, I don't think I could ever be a breeder.
Thanks!! I have always tried to do what is right and alter. No oops for me unless a true accident, then it would be off for a "do not tell me if she's pregnant spay." I feel your pain, good luck with the heat!!
03-29-2014 04:30 PM
Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
If they are closely related (she is one of his daughters), then you do not want to risk having puppies, and selling them for $700 to $1000. Sorry. But if a mating takes place, then you should do a spay-abort. Close inbreeding needs to be done only by people who know pedigrees inside out and for a purpose.

Please do not let that happen.

If you drive him over to breed to their bitches, then drive over, drop him off, and then drive over and pick him up in a couple of weeks. Two states away depends on the size of the states. It sounds like there is a way that you guys manage this when the boy is used for breeding.
NO, not gonna happen. I am a pet owner, not a breeder! I can't even stay on schedule getting to the training club, lol. That's why she isn't titled. There will be no pups. There would definitely be a spay abort. I'm not interested in the money or I could have bred her a long time ago. And people want his pups, he is a great PPD (so I'm told, I haven't seen any "action") but no thanks. There are too many needing homes to add to the population. I've always had fixed, rescued pets, never intact or have bred. Even the rabbit was fixed. She was given to me by the breeder, which is how I ended up with a non-rescue to begin with.

I've never had male/female unaltered combo. This was my stupid fault, being lacksidaisal. Today has been good. As long as he is crated, he is quiet.

The drive is 7 hours. Thanks for your help in this thread. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Husband just left to go to the store and is getting the rub. I promise, no pups. Breeding is more than popping out pups. I have no knowledge of it, pedigrees, etc. And mom and pups need special vet care and there could be an emergency. With 1 graduating senior and expenses and another one right behind her, I don't have the funds to properly handle emergencies.

Mostly, I love my dogs and wouldn't allow this. When she is spayed, I will update!
03-29-2014 03:25 PM
Freestep Daisy, thank you for being so responsible. Many people in your situation would just let an "oops" litter happen hoping to line their pockets with puppy sales. Especially with two well-bred dogs.

I have an intact bitch in my possession at the moment. She is a breeding bitch for a guide dog org. When her motherhood career ends, she'll be mine, and I cannot WAIT to spay her. Heat cycles are such a pain, I don't think I could ever be a breeder.
03-29-2014 03:21 PM
selzer If they are closely related (she is one of his daughters), then you do not want to risk having puppies, and selling them for $700 to $1000. Sorry. But if a mating takes place, then you should do a spay-abort. Close inbreeding needs to be done only by people who know pedigrees inside out and for a purpose.

Please do not let that happen.

If you drive him over to breed to their bitches, then drive over, drop him off, and then drive over and pick him up in a couple of weeks. Two states away depends on the size of the states. It sounds like there is a way that you guys manage this when the boy is used for breeding.
03-29-2014 02:29 PM
Daisy That is a great idea, but they are 2 states away! I've asked the training club but nobody is able to keep him. Getting the Vic's and if this hasn't moved on along by Monday, off to the vet for boarding he goes. I was taking him today but since it's the weekend I can be home to crate rotate. She is still spotting. Not bright red, but still spotting. I keep him in the kennel the most because he is nuts when out and can relax in there. She is just chilling and cuts up more locked up.
03-29-2014 01:34 PM
Saphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
So if they say that he can't be neutered are they willing to hold on to him until the female is spayed and healed?
Great idea and fair trade off I think.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
03-29-2014 01:28 PM
llombardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
I'm not allowed to neuter the male. When he was given to me I was told "no" in case they wanted to breed him again. He has a good lineage and his offspring are narcotic detectors, boarder patrol dogs and PPDs. The female is his daughter. The owner placed his dogs due to health issues that arose with his wife that will take all of his time the remainder of her life. I mistakingly thought she wouldn't come into heat until April at least and finally had scheduled her spay, and she enters heat at that moment.

Walls? Oh geez. He's moving to my room in the kennel this evening. Tomorrow off to the vet!
So if they say that he can't be neutered are they willing to hold on to him until the female is spayed and healed?
03-29-2014 09:44 AM
Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
worst case scenario - they mate - you spay her in a week or so. IF she's pregnant, you'll never know unless you really want to. But a spay with embryos that small would only be slightly more complicated than a normal spay (about on par with a spay on a dog in heat)

There's absolutely no reason to have an oops litter no matter what happens. And I wouldn't feel bad about spaying if she was only a week or so pregnant - at that stage in pregnancy a dog could easily absorb the fetuses if something were to happen to her health, so I like to think if it's still underdeveloped enough that it could be absorbed back into the mother's body, it's not truly a "living, feeling puppy"
That's exactly what I've been thinking. I don't want pups and to be responsible for bringing more into the world. There are good lines in them, but she isn't titled, she's just my pet, and I can't think of one good reason to breed them. I'm told I coukd easily get 700 to $1k for the pups since she's not titled, more if she were, but I'm not interested.

When this is over, I'm scheduling the appt for spay, pregnancy or not. So far, so good at keeping them apart, but it's getting difficult. Not the keeping apart, but the noise. Neither of them like being kenneled for long periods of time, especially when we are home, and make such a fuss when it's their turn! I'm keeping him in it most of the time because she is "easy" but when he is out, he is banannas looking for her, pacing and whining.

Today I get Vic's vapor rub for his nose to see if that helps a little.

Thank y'all so much for your support through this. It's a first for me. I was stupid being so lax on the spay issue, and waiting.
03-29-2014 07:56 AM
sparra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
worst case scenario - they mate - you spay her in a week or so. IF she's pregnant, you'll never know unless you really want to. But a spay with embryos that small would only be slightly more complicated than a normal spay (about on par with a spay on a dog in heat)

There's absolutely no reason to have an oops litter no matter what happens. And I wouldn't feel bad about spaying if she was only a week or so pregnant - at that stage in pregnancy a dog could easily absorb the fetuses if something were to happen to her health, so I like to think if it's still underdeveloped enough that it could be absorbed back into the mother's body, it's not truly a "living, feeling puppy"
Yup....good post
03-29-2014 07:45 AM
Anubis_Star worst case scenario - they mate - you spay her in a week or so. IF she's pregnant, you'll never know unless you really want to. But a spay with embryos that small would only be slightly more complicated than a normal spay (about on par with a spay on a dog in heat)

There's absolutely no reason to have an oops litter no matter what happens. And I wouldn't feel bad about spaying if she was only a week or so pregnant - at that stage in pregnancy a dog could easily absorb the fetuses if something were to happen to her health, so I like to think if it's still underdeveloped enough that it could be absorbed back into the mother's body, it's not truly a "living, feeling puppy"
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum