|02-25-2014 02:26 PM|
|huntergreen||i agree with superg. while they are in there.....|
|02-25-2014 12:20 PM|
Less times you have to put a dog under the better.....getting the hernia fixed and the pexy at the same time would be my choice...never heard anything negative about a pexy....
|02-25-2014 11:18 AM|
I am so very sorry
I would definitely seek a second opinion, preferably from a vet who knows the breed.
|02-25-2014 10:54 AM|
Yes. This is my possible mega pup. I think I'll have to move the surgery. We went to the ER last night because he's sick and they don't know what's wrong. Xrays galore. Waiting on blood tests... I've never seen him this quiet.
|02-25-2014 08:20 AM|
If he is scheduled for a hernia surgery I would tack him at the same time, no question in my mind.
I don't disagree with checking clotting times prior to any surgery.
|02-25-2014 06:36 AM|
Here are some threads from the bloat sticky:
Prophylactic Gastropexy - Should I do it???
Kopper under the knife. . .
Elective gastroplexy , not in conjunction w/spay/nueter?
Pre-emptive stomach tack?
However - is this the possible Mega-e dog? I believe that surgeries in general are a concern for them/special care needs to be taken? 01 Managing Megaesophagus - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! And could his stomach placement be due to that condition - ER vets are great, but I'd want to see a board certified surgeon and internal medicine kind of vet before doing anything with him - not sure if you are close to the vet teaching hospital in Washington or if they are known for being good at these kind of things, but that's where I would be looking. Small Animal Clinical Services at the College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University
Also with having this issue, I'd test for clotting time and von Willebrand's first, as well as MDR1 test because the dog is dealing with enough - you want to make it as easy as possible in all other ways.
|02-25-2014 04:34 AM|
|DobbyDad||I concur with Mr. Winners.|
|02-25-2014 04:15 AM|
|David Winners||IMO, if the dog is going to be knocked down anyways, I would have it done. I don't recommend it as a separate procedure, as it's effectiveness is not certain, but as a supplementary procedure, I think it is wise.|
|02-25-2014 04:10 AM|
When we went in tonight for another issue the ER vet suggested stomach (after four abdominal xrays) he get his stomach tacked because it is in a weird position. "Not quite perpendicular to how it should be but turned enough that he is very susceptible to stomach torsion. I would do that immediately - his hernia surgery scheduled for next week would be highly recommended since you don't want to desex him until age 2 or 3."
What would you do? I'm thinking of just having them do it. Or should I wait til later? I think this is important to do but at the same time, I don't know a lot about torsion other than what I've googled...