|02-27-2014 07:37 PM|
|Harry and Lola||
I wouldn't want to do surgery before 3 years old, however I understand the growth plate for UAP usually closes around 5 months, so surgery could be done after this age, for me personally I would want to wait until 3yo unless symptoms were severe. I know with Harry when he was under one, around 6 or 7 months if I remember correctly, he started limping on this left front leg, we did an xray and vet found minimal cartilage and lack of fusion between the anconeal and ulna on this leg, however she did not label him with dysplasia at that time and with carprofen, rest, weight management and no impact exercise for about 3 to 4 months he stopped limping. This was over 2 years ago now and I keep a close eye on him, he is not indicating any issues with his left front leg and his gait is perfect. However if I see any problems in the future, we will do another xray.
I do give him glucosamine & chondroitin, so perhaps this has helped as glucosamine provides the building blocks to synthesize new cartilage and chondroitin blocks destructive enzymes that break down cartilage in the joint. Both Harry and Lola have been on this quite a long time, Lola has HD.
Definitely rest her during the next couple of weeks and if your vet feels it essential to do another xray so quickly then do so, but I wonder if you should allow her longer time with medication and rest and then do another xray? I suppose at the end of the day, we must be guided by our vet (if you trust) and do your own research to help make the right decision
|02-24-2014 09:52 PM|
|02-24-2014 09:49 PM|
|JenniCB||I understand your point Selzer. Maybe this is why my vet is going to X-ray again in a month's time and why he seemed in no rush whatsoever to do any surgery. I did ask though that as it hasn't fused so far is it likely to and he said not now. She is over 22 weeks and so if it hasn't already fused then it isn't going to. I'm sure you wouldn't have to look to hard to find differing advice which is one of the things that has driven me the most crazy since getting my pets. I hate all the differences in opinions that the vets give. I guess all we can do in the end is find a vet we like and go with what they say if it seems right to us. But I will just re state that we are x-raying again (although it's a bit of a pain for Penny as it means another anaesthetic).|
|02-24-2014 06:19 PM|
|Harry and Lola||
Yes Seizer, this is a very good point.
I would rest her for the time being and do not look at surgery until past critical growth periods, especially 9 months but I would say 3 years old.
|02-24-2014 11:24 AM|
For those familiar with elbow dysplasia, I have a question about it with regards to this puppy. The pup is 5 months old. UAP is when the bones do not fuse by 5 months. This is across the board -- all breeds. Shepherds grow at different rates, and are certainly different than small dogs that are completely mature by 12 months with respect to size.
Is it possible that large breed dogs sometimes do not fuse until 6 or 7 months?
The reason I ask this, is because I have a bitch I got back from someone who seriously injured her. They told me what happened. She came back all swelled up and painful, just under six months old, and they had the x-ray done a few weeks previous, so around 5 months. It had UAP. I showed it to my vet, and we made the decision to wait and let the injury heal.
This dog is 4 years old in March and a total spazz, jumping running, etc. She does not limp. She shows no pain whatsoever in this elbow. I will probably have another x-ray done to see what we have. But it just makes me wonder.
|02-24-2014 01:04 AM|
We got dogs next. Our female dog has a bad back. It tends to go out once a year and she can barely walk. We have to roll her around in a wagon to potty. When it first happened we were concerned we would need to put her to sleep, but she gets better with crate rest. Our oldest male dog blew his right ACL (we got it fixed) and has a partially torn left ACL. We are waiting to fix that one, because he got very depressed on his crate rest when he was healing from the first one. It took a long time for him to be his normal self again. Riley was most likely sick from day one. There is a thread here somewhere about his last days. I'm still not over losing him. I may not ever be. We did everything we could to save him except make him suffer needlessly. So far everything is good with Kaleb. He does have one retained testicle and pano, but I knew about the testicle when we got him and pano is pretty common in male large breed dogs.
So, it's not just you. I'm just glad I can help animals that other may give up on.
|02-21-2014 11:54 PM|
Well yesterday turned out to be an interesting day. We saw Penny's X-rays and whilst her back legs are fine (yay!) there are a couple of problems with her front legs. Elbow dysplasia and Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy. The HOD (inflammation in the growth plates in her wrists for those who don't know what it is....I didn't) is in both wrists and also explains why she has been sleeping more and off her food lately. Apparently it should clear on it's own (though could take weeks). We are going to try anti inflammatories to help but only every second day as they upset her tummy.
As for the elbow dysplasia she has the UAP kind (Ununited Anconeal Process....the growth plate that should have fused by now hasn't). This is in the left elbow and may require surgery to pin it back together. For now he wants to see if the HOD clears up and if the lameness then goes away. He wants to re xray in a month. He doesn't seem too fussed about surgery unless Penny actually shows any symptoms that can be associated to the UAP and not the HOD. Not sure what I think about this but I guess we'll be seeing him again in a month and Penny is still young. Does anyone think I should let the breeder know about the elbow dysplasia? Also, since I'm still a newbie on this board could you tell me if I'll have the best shot at getting advice from this post or should I start a new thread say under "Health Issues"?
Also (just because I need to vent) whilst Penny was under anaesthetic at one vets, I was at another vets facing another drama. You see I recently took Amy to this vet to be bathed etc. Whilst there I fell for a beautiful little kitten up for adoption. I was hooked. The next day we paid $173 for what I believed was a vet checked kitten who had been wormed etc and microchipped, as well as that cost covering her next vaccination and sterilization. So even though we had decided we weren't as keen on this vets anymore and had moved Penny to another, I need to stay with them for Amy (the kitten) till the vacc and sterilization have been done since they are already paid for. So I take her in for the vacc but first the vet listens to her heart, and listens and listens, then scoops her up looking guilty and rushes off to see her boss. It seems Amy has a heart murmur! The vet wants her boss to come see me but it seems she is "too busy" but she sends the message back that it wasn't there when she first checked Amy therefore they aren't financially liable. Like she can remember back that far!! The vet looked very apologetic and guilty. Amy is supposed to be sterilized soon but that may need to be delayed if she has a heart problem. So the boss was meant to ring me back yesterday with a plan (ie when do we re check tho she is 5 months old now so it's unlikely to go away, do we ultrasound and do we delay the spaying). I have heard nothing! So not happy.
So as a first time pet owner we have had rotten luck with both our pets. Apparently ED is more common in males and Penny is female and heart murmurs aren't common and less so in cats than dogs. Needless to say these may be our first and last pets.
Thanks for listening,
|02-19-2014 10:40 AM|
I would agree not to jump the gun and assume dysplasia without x-rays. Panostitis - or Pano is an inflammation of the growth plates and makes pups very very sore and painful....it is pretty much a toss up at this age, and pano is very common in young, growing dogs....Diet and exercise control are tools to help with pano, if it proves to be this problem. Do some research and go into the vet ready to have him show you what he sees and what is going on.....
Good luck - hoping it IS pano as that is not as serious long term.
|02-19-2014 02:06 AM|
|trcy||It could be pano. It's more prevalent in males, but females can get it. Kaleb has pano right now. He limps quite a bit on his front leg. Pano will show in x-rays. I was told it looks fuzzy.|
|02-19-2014 01:56 AM|
Thanks everyone for your kind posts. Penny will be having x rays done on Friday when she also gets spayed so we will know more then. I really would be surprised if everything was fine though. It looks like more than just puppy clumsiness to me. She is definitely worse after a rest until she gets moving.
Hi Harry and Lola's Mum. Great to be able to hear from another Aussie. Do you know if there are any others on here? To answer your post: the discomfort has been coming on over the last week or two and has not improved with anti-inflammatories. Apparently we don't have paralysis ticks here in WA so it's not that. She's not overweight and in fact, has gone off her food a bit. She now only eats around half of her kibble although she still loves her treats and chews. Could she have become bored with her food? What do you feed your dogs in regards to meals and chews? As for the Vicks vapour rub that is currently what we put on the corners of our couch where Penny seems to like to chew As for returning her I would never do that as I know exactly what a breeder would do to her! That's what I meant when I said that it doesn't bear thinking about. I would love to hear from you again. Sorry to hear that your beautiful two aren't 100% we'll either.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|