|03-05-2014 10:19 PM|
|sehrgutcsg||I'm glad to hear that the story turned out okay. I just obviously noticed it now. A guy used to work with had a pitbull and somehow the pitbull got into freezer package like the freezer things you put in the ice chest that had some sort of anti-freeze in it and it was an absolute nightmare the dog survived but he ingested a lot of antifreeze and that stuff is like candy so I'm glad that the story had a happy ending !!|
|03-05-2014 09:39 PM|
I have home-again chips in some of my girls. Avid chips in others. I don't buy the extended memberships though. I could, I suppose by the extended membership on one of them.
I took Karma out tonight to TSC to buy dog food. She isn't well-trained, but she did ok. Then I brought her here to see my mother. Very gentle puppy. I suppose I could train her for therapy -- if she lives another year. I've already broken her toe, and poisoned her.
|03-05-2014 02:33 AM|
Glad she's okay! That's scary stuff.
One tip about poison control, if anyone has a microchip registered through HomeAgain and pays their $17.99 annual fee for "premium membership," that membership includes unlimited phone access to a 24/7 licensed emergency vet with access to the ASPCA poison control database. One call a year makes the premium membership worthwhile. That service is the only reason I keep up the HomeAgain premium membership -- their vets have been very helpful in guiding me through "next steps" on the phone when stuff happens after hours (or even telling me its safe to wait til my regular vet opens).
|03-04-2014 09:41 PM|
Ok, it's been 2.5 weeks give or take. I am still giving vitamin K. I called about setting her up for the bloodwork, and my vet said they don't generally do that. Just give her the vitamin K until it is used up, and we go from there.
Karma has never had a hiccup. She has gone over that gate again when I tried to take Babs to my sister's on Sunday. So I switched her to the other in out that has a lid. But no bruising, nothing negative symptoms. Crazy fast and agile as always. And keeping her "quiet" is horrible. No mas, Karma!
I guess I dodged a bullet.
|02-15-2014 10:13 PM|
|02-15-2014 10:10 PM|
My dog was caught the day after and they did the charcoal, kept over night, ran the panel which indicated low Vit K counts (can't remember the right term if that's not it) and kept for another day. Vet advised me to get another panel run after the Vit Ks run out but I didn't and just kept him on a rich Vit K diet for a couple more weeks.
|02-15-2014 10:06 PM|
They only gave her vitamin K, yes.
A nice fatty meal? I am giving these twice a day. Is half a hot dog fatty enough? Or should I find something fattier like putting oil on her food?
|02-15-2014 10:00 PM|
Oh decon. It's good that you caught it. We see people who don't notice something happened until a common thing causes a large amount of bruising on their pet. Such as the little Shih Tsu that had been rolled by the GSD that was running and popped up with a huge bruise on its face around the eye. When I was in getting vitals I noticed his gums were light and that one of his legs was twice as large as the other and bruised like crazy. There was a little Schnauzer at work today that got bruised as all get out from trying to go through the doggie door with another dog.
Generally speaking, if it has been within an hour or so, where I work we induce vomiting, give activated charcoal and then send the patient home with a few weeks of Vitamin K. It needs to be given with a nice fatty meal to be sure it gets absorbed (its a fat soluable vitamin). A coag panel could be run after the time, but not everyone comes in to have that done. If it has been long enough that things could be digested, making them vomit isn't really going to do much. We still give charcoal regardless since it can bind anything not yet absorbed.
It may have depended on how long it was between when she could have eaten it and when you caught it.
Scariest thing about that Shih Tsu was the lady found her toddler with the box of decon and was convinced nothing in the house had ingested it...
|02-15-2014 09:57 PM|
|02-15-2014 09:38 PM|
|selzer||I did not induce vomiting, I expect them to do that at the ER, that's why I went to the closer one. But they didn't. So I was freaking out last night, because of what the 24 hour clinic said, as opposed to what was done at the closer clinic.|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|