German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: 14 month always licking it's mouth Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-10-2014 05:12 PM
gsdemack
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Have you purchased and watched the DVD 'Calming Signal' by Turid Rugaas yet? I agree this sounds like a calming signal and should be a heads up on your relationship with her...the book is NOT the same, you need to watch the DVD.



A good book I do recommend is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell.. Welcome | Jan Fennell the Dog Listener




It's unfortunate that I don't seem to be able to buy and download that dvd, just buy and wait for the disk to be sent....
02-09-2014 11:40 AM
Msmaria My dog would lick his lips in one specific training class. I didnt notice, dont bash me for it, I was ignorant to the signal thing then..I only noticed it after it was pointed out. The trainer said it was because he was fearful with all the people and dogs. It wasnt. He only did it when the trainer would come close. Lick his lips, avert his eyes. He didnt like the trainer for some reason. Maybe she was too confrontational. I found another class.
Notice if your dog does this all the time, sometimes, what are you wearing, position of body. It will help you to know what is causing his anxiety , so you can work on it. Listen to the others below. They know what theyre talking about.
02-09-2014 11:35 AM
Safzola
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
what's a mouth slap?
Ha sorry that was the best way in which to describe it......Its like as if she`s bringing her lips together to make a slapping sound,,doesn`t seem to do as much these days but now and then it does happen.....always followed by a lick...
02-09-2014 11:24 AM
sehrgutcsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Yes, the lip-licking and yawning are calming signals - it can be subtle or very obvious. I see a lot of dog avatars and pics on the site, where owners think the dog is sticking their tongue out at them, and find it hilarious, when it is not. The dog is scared, unconfortable, worried, feeling like their owners are displeased with them, so they are trying to diffuse the situation, trying to communicate their discomfort and worry.

Back off, avert your eyes, calm your energy.
Very enlightening.. Thank you very much.!!!

After I made the post .. I did go to Google and they comfirmed what your saying, something about cooling the brain..
02-09-2014 10:35 AM
Castlemaid Yes, the lip-licking and yawning are calming signals - it can be subtle or very obvious. I see a lot of dog avatars and pics on the site, where owners think the dog is sticking their tongue out at them, and find it hilarious, when it is not. The dog is scared, unconfortable, worried, feeling like their owners are displeased with them, so they are trying to diffuse the situation, trying to communicate their discomfort and worry.

Back off, avert your eyes, calm your energy.
02-09-2014 10:20 AM
carmspack same thing , a calming signal , the dog is politely telling you that you are too close , too personal . You are enjoying it the dog is not . Another signal would be the head turning away . Panting . Excessive drinking as a displacement activity.
02-09-2014 10:17 AM
sehrgutcsg My dog yawns when I talk to him - holding - hugging him day and night and he does it a lot. It never occured to me as to the reason - someone could enlighten me as to the possible answer..??

He never gets tired, after a 45 minute walk he could drink again and do it all over without a blink of the eye. I have bookmarked this. Thanks in advance...

To the OP, what perfume are you wearing if your a female ?
02-09-2014 10:05 AM
MaggieRoseLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdemack View Post
When she sees me she is always licking her nose or the side of her mouth. She makes it really obvious a lot of the time. Can anyone tell me what the cause of this might be?

Thanks.
Have you purchased and watched the DVD 'Calming Signal' by Turid Rugaas yet? I agree this sounds like a calming signal and should be a heads up on your relationship with her...the book is NOT the same, you need to watch the DVD.



A good book I do recommend is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell.. Welcome | Jan Fennell the Dog Listener




02-09-2014 09:24 AM
gsdemack
Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
It's funny you say this because Midnite starts licking his mouth before he poops and it's because he can't wait to eat it. He tells on himself all the time, he hasn't figured out how I know what he's doing... yet
That is really funny! Thanks.
02-09-2014 09:22 AM
llombardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
she wants to eat you.
It's funny you say this because Midnite starts licking his mouth before he poops and it's because he can't wait to eat it. He tells on himself all the time, he hasn't figured out how I know what he's doing... yet
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com