German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Breeding confusion Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-12-2014 02:36 AM
dogman22 thanks. this is what i did. and i took her back to the kennel and waited for a tie. thanks!
02-12-2014 02:35 AM
dogman22 everyone has to start somewhere. i did as much research as i could. i talked and collaborated with as many reputable breeders as i could reach. being it is my first time. im still excited/anxious/nervous all at the same time.

ive seen and assisted in dozens of whelps but this is my very first. the kennel that im working with, they can barely speak english. ive tried my best to translate and work around this problem. but when i talk to them its like he completely understands me, but when he tries to answer, its like hes from mars.
02-09-2014 12:15 AM
Saxony Next time you set up a breeding, ask for a picture of the tie.
02-06-2014 01:12 PM
qbchottu Do progesterone first - there is no guessing then. Some females will exhibit flagging behavior the entire time or some very minimally so I wouldn't necessarily rely on behavior alone to indicate ovulation. If time and travel is an issue, progesterone should be done for sure. Take her in for brucellosis while you are at it. Get guidance from the your vet as you go through the process.

I also recommend getting the Leerburg whelping video as it goes through the entire process in fairly good detail. This is a pretty serious process and your bitch's life is potentially on the line so be sure all is in order beforehand. Good luck to you.
02-06-2014 09:46 AM
holland Wouldn't AI be more expensive than travelling-although guess that depends on where you are travelling to
02-05-2014 04:23 PM
hunterisgreat What chris said, and if you can't travel, have a vet do an AI
02-05-2014 04:11 PM
Chris Wild Take her to the vet and get progesterone drawn. That will tell you where she is in the process and if she has ovulated. Bitches can vary widely at what time during their heat cycle they are ready for breeding. She may not have been ready yet when she was at the stud owner's, so even if they did "get a tie" it may not have done any good. Progesterone testing now may help answer that.

In the future, it is always a good idea to do progesterone testing prior to going to the stud. Especially if it requires travel. Having to drive all over the country to get your bitch to the right stud is part and parcel of being a breeder. However it makes sense to minimize the time away and ensure you're going at the right time in her cycle, and it is worth it to spend some money on progesterone testing and planning when to travel based on those than to try to guess at when she will be ready to breed.
02-05-2014 04:01 PM
doggiedad why would you breed your dog if you know
very little about breeding?
02-05-2014 03:58 PM
dogman22
Breeding confusion

so i am ready to breed my bitch. this will be my first breeding. and yes she is schh 3 and ipo3. with ofa hips a normal.

i reached out to a kennel for a stud. and he has a great stud. he told me to drop of my bitch at the 9 day mark. estrous/standing heat. which i did. but she was not flagging. i left her there for 4 days. (day 9-14)

he told me "they tied" but i really dont know if hes telling the truth. the contract will guarantee that there will be a puppies. if it doesnt happen now, then come back next heat but the thing is. he lives 5 hrs away from my location. i cant simply afford the time to travel to and fro. as i have done 4 times already. and i work full time

so it is now day 17 into the heat cycle. and she is barely beginning to flag.

what should i do?

take her back? or take his word for it and wait?

i can train a dog but i know very little about breeding. any help with be appreciated.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com