|02-05-2014 02:39 AM|
|shepherdmom||I am sorry for your loss.|
|02-05-2014 01:00 AM|
|Junegirl||He started having cluster seizures so we have put him down. My thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my posts.|
|02-04-2014 11:36 PM|
|02-04-2014 11:22 PM|
dcg9381-Please read my posts.
Shaina- There is no better vet, this is a third world country, the only vet around (the one we took him to) had a filthy, run down office-they have no tools or equipment, they took his temperature with an old mercury thermometer that they then gave a quick wipe on a piece of paper and put it away...would you take your dogs to such a vet? This is a beloved family pet that is like a member of our family. I repeat there is no other vet around.
My dog is still alive, he is stretched out on the floor of the kennel, he is breathing heavy and he is non responsive. he can open his eyes for short periods and I have not seen him stand since yesterday late afternoon.
My question is this; is there any chance that he will recover or should we put him down? I know that there are a many people on this forum that have seen a lot and I appreciate your advise.
|02-04-2014 01:52 PM|
|my boy diesel||
did he get into a toxin?
xylitol can crash blood sugar and put them into seizures
and a diabetic coma
try giving honey as others suggested
stick in mouth and let drizzle down
be careful near the mouth if he's seizing
ps. phenobarbitol would be best for seizures if you can get it
|02-04-2014 01:51 PM|
|Shaina||He needs blood work to get a better idea of what is going on. Is the outdoor enclosure somewhere that he will not harm himself during an episode? He needs a soft surface and not to be able to hurt himself on anything. I'd find a better vet asap, and if you can't afford the vet care than in my opinion it is more humane to euthanize than to leave him outside alone to die (if his health is as bad as you imply).|
|02-04-2014 01:43 PM|
There is medication to treat epileptic seizures. Others can give you the specifics. If your vet can prescribe, I'd go back and ask for a prescription. Often you have to adjust the level of medication necessary to keep him seizure free. At a minimum, I'd do that much.
Make sure your dog is not near water source that he/she might fall into. I don't mean a bowl, but a pond or even a kiddie pool....
Again, try meds at a minimum.
|02-04-2014 08:48 AM|
|02-04-2014 08:16 AM|
|OriginalWacky||I'm so very sorry you are going through this without adequate medical care for your dog. I guess I'd say spend what time you can with him and let him know he is loved.|
|02-04-2014 03:01 AM|
Thanks for responding,
We actually found a "vet" here and have taken him just now....boy do I regret it, it was like out of a horror show or something...it has been a long time since I have seen such a filthy place. Not to mention that the "vet" was completely clueless.
We have moved him out into the outdoor kennel. It is a large kennel that is also covered, he will be most comfortable there and the kids will not mess with him.
He had another seizure this morning, that is 8 grand mall seizures since Sunday evening.
His health is declining very rapidly, at this point I do not expect him to survive but I will write back and let everyone know one way or the other.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|