|01-31-2014 09:21 PM|
Yes, the optimum socialization period ends around 16 weeks old, which is usually when the final set of puppy shots are administered. So there is always the trade-off : socialization/protection from disease. But it really isn't as bad as all that.
The first set of shots, might take, might not take depending how old the puppy is, and when the mother's immunity wears off. So if the mother's immunity wears off at say 7 weeks, then the dog is without protection until the set of shots administered after this time -- let's say at 8 weeks. Then it takes a few days for the body to create the antibodies.
We really don't know if that first shot took, and usually we want a second shot to boost the first. This shot is administered at 10 or 11 weeks old. Give that 2-3 days, and then start taking your puppy to puppy classes -- I don't do free-for-all. I would stay out of pet stores and high-canine traffic until after the third set of shots.
I don't worry about rabies. Depending on the laws in your state, you can give at 16 weeks or at 6 months. I look at it as protection in case your dog stumbles across a wild critter with the disease, dead or alive. But I do not worry about it coming from other dogs because of the way it is transmitted. The dog has to either be bitten or seriously scratched so that blood or saliva has entered the other dog's blood stream. Problem for wild things, yes. Just sniffing where other dogs pooped, not so much.
Parvo and distemper though scare the bejesus out of me. And no way would I get the first set of shots today, and take the dog to a horse show tomorrow.
|01-31-2014 08:11 PM|
|Lilie||There will always be other shows that you can go to, but not as an exhibitor. Wait till your pup is fully vaccinated and go 'school' your pup a a show!|
|01-31-2014 08:08 PM|
Mostly I thought I could do it because I have a friend getting what will be an 11 week old Coonhound puppy this Wednesday, and she's going to be bringing him to our next show... which is further away and it would be for two, possibly three days, not just the one.
But he's older...
And then I started thinking about parvo risk after reading through the other thread in this forum... and was already leaning towards waiting until Monday when I posted this.
So... thank you everyone. I'm glad I asked, to make sure I'm making the decision that would be the best for all involved. After this show the next one isn't for a couple more weeks, and by then she'll hopefully be completely crate trained and I'd have someone who could watch after her if need be... or something.
|01-31-2014 08:01 PM|
I am an avid rider, and am often at shows and clinics, etc. I would not bring a young puppy that I had just picked up to such an environment. I would want to be able to focus my attention on my horse and show prep and not try to split my attention between the horse stuff and an 8 week old puppy.
Once you have had your puppy for a while? If you could set up an x-pen in a safe area, where strangers can't maul her and if you have a trusted adult that could puppy sit for you while you are occupied, go for it (providing puppy has the temperament not to be overwhelmed by the environment).
But for now, I would leave puppy with the breeder until after your show weekend.
|01-31-2014 07:58 PM|
|01-31-2014 07:49 PM|
I wouldn't advise it. I used to show my horse and there were always dogs there. Parvo is a risk I wouldn't want to take.... I've had a parvo puppy so I tend to be on the safe side of things. Also, there is always noise... And you don't want your new baby starting its life with you in fear. Either way... Congratulations on the new addition to the family.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|01-31-2014 07:23 PM|
|Harry and Lola||If if were me, I wouldn't take her out unless she can safely stay in the car with someone and when need to go toilet you can find a quiet area.|
|01-31-2014 07:17 PM|
But yeah. I'm sure she'd be willing to wait a few days... especially since she knows that I'm giving her a home, the rest of the litter are still up in the air from what I know.
As for mutt vs purebred susceptibility, not a question. I just know that some people say to not go anywhere until the puppy is 16 weeks old, but you're missing important times for socialization by waiting that long, etc.
But yeah, I can wait a few more days.
|01-31-2014 07:05 PM|
Wait a couple of days.
You are giving a good home to a mixed puppy -- the breeder (yes she is!) should be happy to wait 2-3 days more.
A breeder is the owner of the bitch who gets pregnant. It does not matter if the bitch is a grand victrix, world siegerin, police dog, or a mixed-bred pet. Doesn't matter. If you own a bitch, any bitch, and she becomes pregnant -- you are a breeder. You are responsible for that bitch and her puppies until you have put her and/or her puppies into other responsible hands.
What happens to her when she whelps, whether the pups make it or not, all the cleaning, finding owners, or even dumping her at the shelter with the litter -- you are still a breeder of that litter, because you owned her at the time she became pregnant.
Whether you are a good breeder or a bad breeder is the question, not whether or not you are a breeder. Whether or not is concrete, black/white, yes/no. What kind of breeder you are is subjective.
Mutt puppies are just as susceptible to parvo and a bunch of other diseases, as their pure-bred counterparts. Taking the dog to a horse-show where other dogs may have been walked moments before you drove your vehicle in there, is playing Russian Roulette with the puppy. Wait, a few days for the sake of the puppy.
|01-31-2014 06:33 PM|
Ok, questions to answer.
First, it's important because there are so few shows in our region, and it's not a championship thing, but I'm part of a team and since these are the only shows we do, and there are only a total of 6 or 7 per year, you kinda have to go to all of them, or you will never move up. So it is important, not in a way others might think, but yeah. And I can wait, and probably will.
Second, I did put parenthesis around "breeder" because this puppy is a mutt. German Shepherd father, German Shepherd mix mother. It was an "oops" pregnancy that could have DEFINITELY been avoided, but it is what it is, and momma will be fixed as soon as puppies are weaned and her teets decrease in size. I'm not purchasing the puppy, coming through a friend of a friend. I don't fear for the puppy's safety, but I wouldn't consider the lady I'm getting her from to be a breeder... hence the parenthesis.
And I do have a few friends/family members who could watch her while I'm gone, but I still wouldn't prefer it.
She would not be in the location where horses would be, at any point, even the fencing is solid so she couldn't get through even if she got loose for a few moments. So she wouldn't be able to get underhoof. And we don't bring our own horses, only point when horses would be involved is when each competitor goes to where the horses are, then get up and go. But that's a completely separate area from where the puppy would be. It's a "special" type horse show, not the typical ones you'd think of.
But yeah... I'll probably pick her up a couple days later. Not what I'd want since I'm ready to have her home, but probably safer and easier for all involved.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|