German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: Food poisoning from handling raw: anyone? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
01-08-2014 01:35 PM
Liesje If you truly got food poisoning, you should get it confirmed by the health dept. They would need to track down where it came from and do recalls where appropriate. I see people throw around "food poisoning" a lot but I really don't think it's common. Usually if there is an issue with a food source it is caught before people get sick and the product is recalled or people are warned. It seems that spinach and sprouts are more commonly contaminated than meat or eggs.
01-06-2014 10:13 PM
mspiker03 I have been feeding raw for 7 years now and have never gotten sick - and we probably aren't the cleanest in the world. The only time I have ever had food poisoning was from drinking water (tap water) at a friends cabin that somehow for contaminated.

Sent from Free App
01-06-2014 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Just something to think about...

The other day I read an article, forgot where so no link, that a new strain of the Norovirus has hit the US. It appears to be a tougher one from what I remember reading. The symptoms are similar to food poisoning.
Found it:

New virus more contagious, spreads more quickly than most - CBS 5 - KPHO

There's a relatively new virus in the U.S., and it's getting a lot of notice from researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

According to the CDC, norovirus causes your stomach and intestines to become inflamed, giving you stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. This can, in turn, lead to dehydration and, ...
01-06-2014 03:50 PM
huntergreen zeeva, i don't eat raw, thats how careful i am when cooking our dinner. feel better.
01-06-2014 03:46 PM
Wild Wolf
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
No. I think it is from something you either ate or have a stomach flu. My husband and I are just recovering from the flu, and a business friend was sick to his stomach Christmas night with a bug.

When handling any raw food, I immediately wash my hands and I feed in bowls or plates that I can put in the dishwasher to get sanitized.
No issues here in 3 years of feeding raw.
01-06-2014 03:44 PM
wolfy dog Never had a problem.
01-06-2014 03:42 PM
huntergreen ziva, anything is possible. i am very careful when i cook chicken. after cleaning the kitchen i wipe down the counter and faucets with bleach. i also wear disposable plastic gloves while handling the raw chicken. i don't use antibiotic soap, as imho, that lowers our natural immune response and is one of the many causes for antibiotic resistance.
01-06-2014 03:23 PM
Gretchen No. I think it is from something you either ate or have a stomach flu. My husband and I are just recovering from the flu, and a business friend was sick to his stomach Christmas night with a bug.

When handling any raw food, I immediately wash my hands and I feed in bowls or plates that I can put in the dishwasher to get sanitized.
01-06-2014 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I have been handling Mister's (my diabetic cat) raw meat for the last few weeks and I think (?) I have gotten food poisoning from it...Has anyone else ever gotten food poisoning from handling their pets' raw?

I am careful and I am very paranoid. I bleach the counters and wash my hands each time...I am a little concerned as I will be converting my pups to raw at least 1x a day but because of how miserable I was all night and this morning, I do not know if I can safely handle it.

I think everyone hates being sick but with 8 critters to take care of every morning and not having the energy to lift a twig, it is even more discouraging. The cats are not so bad with the exception of Mister who gets his sugar checked, his insulin and his raw. The rest of the cats just get their food, change of water and litter boxes cleaned. But the dogs after being in their crate for 8 hours during sleepy time are so unruly, hyper and sensitive in the morning that when I am sick it is nearly unbearable to handle.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I am sorry for venting...
I can appreciate your frustration and efforts to pinpoint the source of your food poisoning.

I guess I have have always been a bit confused about contracting food poisoning via feeding raw. Since I am fairly new to the raw diet approach for my latest pooch, I have predominately ground everything up including chicken bones, turkey bones, chicken necks and backs etc. Most recently, I have started to let her crunch down beef rib bones however. Point being, I end up with a 50 lb plus container of raw ground up meat, bone and organ concoction which I end up mixing with my hand and arm..past my elbow ( to get all the way to the bottom of the bucket ), so I have this raw blend all over me by the time I am done. I have yet to experience any health issues from handling all this raw meat...knocking on wood.

But here's the thing...when I make her raw food, I handle it just as I would for any raw meat I would consume myself so in this respect, I fail to see any difference related to getting food poisoning. Yes, I have heard some say " well, you can get it ( food poisoning ) after your dog eats and then might lick your face....." I suppose it could happen but have yet to experience this as well.

I would think with a basic sanitary protocol as one would practice with prepping their own raw meat for consumption, one should be just fine.

Here's to you feeling better quickly,

01-06-2014 02:51 PM
Glacier Yeah, there's a new bug going around. The entire third floor of the assisted living facility I work at had a really bad case of it. Oddly enough floor one and two were fine. I think they ordered some bad take out.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome