|01-24-2014 11:11 AM|
I think the OP has handled the situation with grace and responsibility. Things happen in people's lives that change their circumstances and sometimes they are overwhelmed. Perhaps, and hopefully, the breeder will eventually deal with this if such is the case at this point in her life and this is truly an isolated occurrence.
|01-17-2014 09:40 PM|
I applaud your decision to return the pup to the breeder. Pet people (& I am one) are rarely well situated to responsibly screen prospective homes & place pups. Statistically, each additional homing makes a dog less likely to 'succeed' & more likely to be abandoned to a shelter & wind up pts. You've put the welfare of that little guy first. It's wonderful to see that happen.
I think you're due a refund & I sincerely hope that the breeder eventually agrees.
I'm very, very sorry the pup couldn't work for you. That must have been heartbreaking for your family, especially the children.
|01-08-2014 01:49 PM|
Second Diane's suggestion.
And kudo's to you for the way you are handling the situation.
|01-08-2014 12:24 PM|
|JakodaCD OA||I agree with Lies, and a suggestion..Maybe instead of email, send them a certified letter which they have to sign for..|
|01-08-2014 11:08 AM|
Missed alot on this thread!!!!
No one can tell 100% what a pup will turn out to be...they can tell what the potential is...and what type of home should be best suited for the pup...I have put pups in pet homes and they have gone on to do sport and multiple SchH/IPO3s, and put pups into homes where the buyers seem to be gung ho on training and titles and have them return the dog 1-2 years later due to family issues - one of those I am training right now....
A show line breeder judges his puppies on potential for winning structure in the show ring....a working line breeder on potential for type of sport....
Limited is not JUST to protect the kennel name....it is to protect the puppy from being dumped into a less than stellar breeding operation...people die, people get divorced, lose their jobs....one of mine ended up in a kennel of a big name trainer where owner left the dog for training and then lost job/divorced etc...just handed the trainer the papers and I did not know about it...he asked me to sign off (without titles or x-rays) so he could see the dog to someone who wanted a stud dog...I refused, then he asked me to buy the dog back for a big $$$$ amount - green dog ready to title - I tried to get someone to buy the dog, but by the time I got it all done, the dog had been sold as a PPD.....well - at least he is with someone who can afford to buy that kind of dog and not in a kennel run being used to pump out mediocre pups.
Limited is used to protect the dog in my usage. Period. I have right of first refusal, prefer if the dog cannot be kept by the purchaser to have it returned....babies, wife afraid of dogs, neighbor problems, too much dog, divorce...whatever - they can come back and I will find a suitable situation. Some I have rebought and some were just returned with no expectations of money back.
|01-08-2014 10:31 AM|
|Liesje||Thanks for the update. I think you've handled the situation with maturity, hopefully the breeder will do the same.|
|01-08-2014 10:23 AM|
I've been following along (well... sort of!), but I've been waiting to check back in in hopes that I would have had a reply from the breeder by this point. I still do not have a response to my e-mail, which I plan to re-send later today on the off-chance that it wasn't received when I initially sent it a few days ago.
With regard to why I chose to immediately return the puppy to the breeder versus keeping the pup and attempting to re-home him myself and recoup my losses... My husband and my five year old son were clearly allergic. After my husband had a scratch test confirming the allergy, they both took Benadryl and symptoms improved for both. I never even considered re-homing or "selling" the pup on my own - I have zero experience placing dogs in appropriate and reponsible homes. In addition to that, as a previous person commented, the puppy and the allergens would've had to have been confined to an area of my home - in my case, the only option would be the basement - which would not be fair to the puppy, or either of my sons who wouldn't understand why they weren't allowed to play with him (I have an older son as well, who had no allergy symptoms around the pup and was particularly devastated when we returned him). Had I kept the puppy in an attempt to re-home him on my own or with the breeders help, it would have resulted in a pup who was isolated and unsocialized for the period of time it took to re-home him.
We do have proof that my husband is allergic - the initial scratch test was performed by a very good friend of ours who happens to be a doctor (not an allergist), and he recommended following up with the allergist who saw my husband after his reaction to Penicillin, which he did. I have not had my son tested as he is only five...
Finally, I do have my reasons for not finalizing talk of a refund prior to driving 500+ miles to the breeder and then turning around for the 500+ miles home. I prefer not to discuss my reasons as it would give information about the breeder and the breeder's situation that could be used to identify them. I know that this creates curiosity and skepticism, but I genuinely believe that this situation is an isolated incident and this breeder is otherwise reputable and has well-bred dogs, which is why I'm hesitant to give up any information that could identify the breeder on a public forum and expose them to scrutiny in any way. I hope that's understandable, and I apologize if I'm being controversial. While I (and others) may believe that it's wrong for the breeder to keep my money, re-home the dog and profit from him twice, that in no way means I'm willing to damage the breeder's reputation.
Thanks again for the comments and support. I really do appreciate it.
|01-08-2014 08:43 AM|
|huntergreen||doesn't matter what i think about the refund, i will defer to the breeders opinion on the board. that being said, you walk away with out a contract, you take your chances.|
|01-08-2014 08:31 AM|
|LaRen616||I forgot to mention that I feel the OP deserves a full refund, not a partial, a full refund.|
|01-08-2014 07:53 AM|
guess I missed all the nastiness.
Breeders are not supporting this site with money, it is a privately owned forum which has it's own set of rules. Simple, you don't like them, there are other forums out there where you can bash away and get your fix.
I agree with Lies. You want a good dog, do your homework, do background checks, get the names of previous puppy buyers, get the names of those puppies that are now adults. Educate yourself.
I've had 5 german shepherds in my adult life, and haven't had a breeder issue nor a terminal health issue with any of them.
I think this thread needs to go back on topic or start one of your own/
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|