German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Vet calls a it strange case with discovery of a series of other problems Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-04-2014 10:37 PM
blackjack21 Yes, I think I will stick with the vet for now, i dont want interferance with his other meds.loki lost almost 2 kilos, but he is eating alot and drinking, and having formed stools. I do believe the Doc mentioned panacur? So we will try that for 10 days. He is on clavamox for 4 days more, and he has prednisone for a month for his joints. And yes, the steroids are lowering his immune system. Definitely a huge clean down of the apartment. We havent been going out for walks other than potty outside, and a 2 block walk to my dog walkers place where I board him over night and I pick him up in the morn after work. Then Im ofc for a week so I can spend time nursing him back to health.
01-04-2014 08:56 PM
GatorBytes If he's on one abx. for the pocket of fluid, then I would be hesitant to put on another drug anyhow...how much longer on the current abx.?

Giardia resides in people and animals. It isn't always a critical issue. Although the GI issue from the possible parvo could factor in...but then the drugs could weaken the system too.

What abx. is he currently on?...Kocci may mean other parasite drugs. Maybe e-mail them
01-04-2014 08:54 PM
Courtney I mean no disrespect to sincere advice given in this thread. But I would continue to work with your vet. I would be overly cautious veering away from the treatment plan the vet has advised.
01-04-2014 08:42 PM
blackjack21 Looked up Kocci free, definitely would like to try it. But it says cant use it while on other antibiotics. Loki is on an antibiotic for that pocket of bacterial fluid in his abdominal wall. Will have to stuck with the vet meds for now, then I will try kocci free. I hope it wont enduce diarrhea. loki is having formed stools right now
01-04-2014 07:48 PM
carmspack the reason that you do more than one test with giardia is because the cysts aren't present in each and every test -- you may end up with false negatives. Multiple testing is the only guarantee for an accurate read.
don't skip this step
01-04-2014 06:14 PM
GatorBytes I would suggest you pass on the meds from the vet. You will end up on a cycle of loose poop, more tests, more fear...

Do a search on here for Kocci free. No side effects and This has worked for many on here where drugs failed...and I mean rounds and rounds and changes of meds. and tests and on and on. Even when fecal was negative, given meds anyhow and diarrhea cont'd...Kocci Free (follow dosing/timeline specifically) and bingo...no more issues.

Also want to consider Seacure for gastrointestinal repair and nutrient absorption due to the parvo. predigested fish protein and is absorbed directly without having to tax the liver and pancreas. Amino acid complex food.
01-04-2014 04:36 PM
blackjack21 Sorry to double post, I couldnt edit my post. Unfortunately Im at work today and tomorow the vet is closed for sunday and I can pick up the meds (I forgot the name they told me on the phone) on Monday morning at earliest. They told me its a 10 day dose with a poop sample in between and Im assuming after.

But Guys, I dont get this...10 day dose. and "between" poop sample. Why arent they giving me a 14 day dose with just a sample in the end of this period? Is the Vet trying to fish more money out of me? I have already spent 4000, and I would spend whatever to help heal my pup, but I dont want to be victimized with unnecessary tests. Its close to 60 for each poop test.

Im glad Im finding the source of his skininess. We did a poop sample a month ago and it came negative, so either Loki recently acquired it, or that specific sample didnt contain those buggers. Thing is, Loki has been having regular formed stools, until this incident, nor does did his belly look big so I never suspected. Oh please let this be the last of it. Im waiting for the c+s results from his joints, I dont want to hear another problem.
01-04-2014 02:10 PM
blackjack21 Ugh. Poop results came back. loki has Giardia. Explains the skinniness. Says can be passed on to humans. Will need to bleach everything now
01-03-2014 09:31 PM
My5dogs I agree with the ProPlan sensitive skin stomach. I used it for quite awhile with great results. They did put on alittle weight too.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
01-03-2014 07:17 PM
GatorBytes Your vet has to report it, or at least the vet who treated your dog. Do you have a written report. Ask for copies of all records from all who dealt with your pups condition.

Please put your dog a natural diet. He needs ALL the nutrition (natural enzymes and amino acids) he can get to repair cell damage.

Now here is a possibility that happened. Your pups first shots were knocked out by maternal antibodies (no one can predict when this will happen) leaving your pup vulnerable to parvo...you bring your pup in for more shots...the most likely place you are going to catch parvo is...AT THE VET. Inoculations supress the immune system for an estimated 10 days...once again leaving your pup vulnerable to disease.

The fecal tested positive for parvo.

The joint swelling, I truly believe was a vaccine reaction. The highest risk vaccine is Lepto. Lepto is a bacteria, not a virus.

I am happy he is home with you.
Consider the list Moms provided for holistic vets.

Kneebone is on O'Connor Dr. (Danforth area), in Toronto Mckutcheon (sp.), the owner of clinic has been in practice for 50yrs. (wrote the book "The New Holistic Way")

The Holistic Vet (North East Vet clinic) is up in Newmarket...The Owner of that practice went to California - Autumn Drouin DVM for over 30 yrs., still does consults at the clinic when up in Canada...Hyatt - the practice owner now.
Read their Bio here:
http://www.holistic-vet.ca/about-us/
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com