|10-07-2013 10:14 PM|
|WendyV||I hope Zeek is okay. Hopefully you got him to a vet. Let us know how he's doing.|
|10-07-2013 03:23 PM|
I really don't think the Vet bill would be horrific if most if not all was vomited. The treatment protocol seems straight forward and should be on the lower end for costs.
I can't imagine a vet turning you away if you have some money to put down right away.
|10-06-2013 11:22 PM|
I would get to an ER vet and take the product with you. This is a very toxic poison! The results may be delayed but it does not mean they are happening. Figure out a way to afford it, care credit, beg your family etc. I don't think getting to an ER is overreacting.
Anticoagulant Poisoning in Dogs | petMD
RODENTICIDES | MOUSE PRUF II 4PK D-CON (Pack of 12) | 75905
Contains Brodifacoum, That is very bad stuff. It says the dog needs IMMEDIATE treatment with vitamin K
Brodifacoum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|10-06-2013 11:18 PM|
Rat poison will cause internal bleeding. The rat bleeds out slowly.. Same thing can happen with the dog, he will start bleeding internally.
Dog needs a vet immediately. They will also give apo moriphine to induce vomiting, then put charcoal via stomach tube to help bind the poison and get it out of system. Then dog will be on vitamin K for a few weeks.
D Con is not something that can be fixed at home, your dog needs immediate veterinarian care.
|10-06-2013 11:06 PM|
there are different poisons now...not all rat poisons are warfarin, the one for which Vit K is the antidote. The newer ones HAVE NO ANTIDOTE! I had an experience with pups getting into 2 blocks of rat poison, got them to vomit...called ER vet - they instructed me to call poison control - yes, $65...they told me to go to ER vet...ER Vets called poison control with case number and PC confirmed treatment...charcoal...ER vets would NOT treat pup without advice of PC.....I would have been charged the fee by the ER vets if I had not already paid it directly.
|10-06-2013 08:50 PM|
Hopefully OP has already been to the vet, but just in case -
Care Credit can be applied for and approved/denied immediately online. Focus on this being your first, it will be available for future emergency needs as well.
The following are links to agencies that may be able to help with emergency treatment. The approval process may take longer then you are able to wait.
Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care? : The Humane Society of the United States
AFRP Financial Assistance for Pets
Saving More Lives Together : Asheville Humane Society
ANIMAL ASSISTANCE LEAGUE OF ORANGE COUNTY
FAQ | ASPCA
Speaking for Spot: Dog Health Care Tips & Veterinary Advice | Financial Assistance for Veterinary Care
Find financial assistance with veterinary care | RedRover
Vet Bills: Organizations Offering Financial Help | Truth4Dogs
|10-06-2013 08:28 PM|
I'll tell you my experience with this. When Nikon was about 12 weeks old we were outside raking leaves. We rented a duplex and got $50 off rent for maintaining the lawn, which meant a week straight of raking leaves each fall. Nikon was the first dog I got as a puppy, so I'd pretty obsessively puppy-proofed the house and yard, but I neglected to check the small shed where the landlord kept the lawn equipment for us. While we were raking I noticed that Nikon had gone into the shed and wasn't coming out. I went it to check and saw him eating something. It was too dark to see so I grabbed him and the plastic container and went into the light. I saw the container had something bright aqua blue and my gut reaction was that nothing that color is safe for dogs to eat. Immediately we were putting hydrogen peroxide down his throat. Withing minutes of eating the poison he had thrown up several times. I still didn't know what it was so I took the plastic container inside and Google the label...rat poison!! I FREAKED out. Luckily my vet was still open and they reassured me that if he vomited it all out right away, he would be fine. I didn't believe it so I called the emergency vet. They also told me that all they would do is keep him vomiting. They instructed me to have him vomit until there was nothing blue coming out so we gave him another dose of hydrogen peroxide and he vomited for the 4th(?) time, no more blue. We checked the shed and threw all the poison away. I sent an email to the landlord saying what I'd done (and was pissed not only because he knew we had a puppy, but there was a 2 year old boy living on the other side of the duplex and that boy was always "escaping" the porch and wandering around the yard, he could have eaten it too). We even shoveled away the top soil where Nikon had vomited outside. The next morning we went to the vet and they gave me a big bottle of vitamin K which Nikon took for about a month.
Nikon never saw a vet, but I had him vomiting within minutes of eating the poison and on the vet's instructions kept him vomiting until it was clear. He also took the antedote for a month. They told me that you can't overdose vitamin K, the body will just shed what it doesn't need so we won't ever know if it was necessary (probably not considering how quickly he vomited).
|10-06-2013 06:52 PM|
D-con does cause loss of vitamin K so it would still be an effective treatment.
My advice = vet. You may of been lucky, caught it early, and your dog vomited it all up. But if not and your dog starts to bleed, you're looking at THOUSANDS of dollars and blood transfusions and hospitalization, likely for days. We've had d-con dogs that needed to be hospitalized for a week and receive numerous blood transfusions.
If you go now, even though not the preferred treatment you could probably be fine with outpatient treatment - activated charcoal given, subq fluids to help flush the system, and a month long course of vitamin k. Preferred treatment would likely be 48 hours of hospitalization on iv fluids to help flush the system but that is still WAY cheaper than waiting for symptoms.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|10-06-2013 06:38 PM|
They changed the poison in pest control and vitamin K is no longer affective. There were two companies that refused to abide by the new rules because there is no antidote for the new ingredient as of yet. If you are lucky, d-con was one of those companies and the Vit K will work. You need to take your dog to a vet immediately.
ETA: You are in luck. D-con was the company that refused to comply
Call a vet immediately.
|10-06-2013 06:24 PM|
Animal poison control is amazing because you are speaking to an actual vet, not just some hotline person off the street. THAT'S why it costs money and it's well worth the 65 $.
Actually as well the vet that discovered grapes were toxic is one of the poison control phone operators. He's very nice - we've had a few good chats
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|