|09-07-2013 06:30 PM|
|JakodaCD OA||kristi I am so very sorry for you and your family He was a beautiful boy and you all gave him the best life he could have had..|
|09-07-2013 04:33 PM|
I'm sorry for your loss.
The only positive thing I think that can be said about having a challenging dog is that living with them teaches us a lot. I hope that having this guy will make each stage with your next pup that much more of a joy. Besides ensuring that there isn't anything harmful around to your other critters, don't blame yourself about what happened to this guy. I think you are right, it just wasn't meant to be. You loved him, and did your best by him. One of my puppy owners had a pup that ate his toys. He had a blockage and they had to do surgery on him. He is ok, now, but even toys designed for dogs can be fatal. I am sorry.
|09-07-2013 02:36 PM|
Thank you Debbie, Lee and Shanna.
The decision really was kind of taken away from us, poor guy, just wasn't meant to be. I have racked my brain and searched my house trying to figure out what he could have gotten into. Somehow I feel like this should be my fault and I'm super worried that he got into something that Odin could get into. But the only thing I have found is one of those skineez toys, half missing.... its the only thing that makes sense.
|09-07-2013 02:35 PM|
|Shade||I'm so sorry . At least he's free of pain now and he's able to be himself without restrictions RIP Havoc|
|09-07-2013 02:29 PM|
I am so sorry Kristi .....no matter what external issues there were, you and your husband and Havoc all loved each other...it is almost like the decision was taken out of your hands and it was no longer questionable....it does sound like a foreign object in his digestive system....
He will always be in your heart....run free of pain and anger at the bridge Havoc!!!
|09-07-2013 02:17 PM|
|Cassidy's Mom||I'm so sorry, Kristi. It really isn't fair, either to him or to you and your husband. He's at peace now, and I hope you can find some yourself too.|
|09-07-2013 02:10 PM|
We said goodbye to Havoc last night. He became very, very ill on Thursday night/Friday morning. Threw up his undigested dinner and lots of water. In the morning on Friday he was very lethargic, could barely walk. At first the way he looked I thought maybe he had been poisoned, but I am quite sure I was just seeing the full extent of the damage in his spine. He was sick and not able to tough it out and hide how bad his back really was. He was not able to hold down water all day Friday, he would drink a bit and 20 minutes later it would all come back up. He was so sick, and I knew that even though he was THAT sick treating him would be impossible. Friday night we decided to take him to emergency and have him euthanized. As incredibly sick as he was, he still fought the vet. Tough little SOB right to the end.
I still can't get over just how sick he was, the only thing that makes sense is a blockage. He ate a lot of non food items, I always kinda knew it would come back to bite him in the butt one day.
I am incredibly sad and angry that he just did not have a fair shot at life. It's just not fair. I will always remember him as the craziest, toughest, most devoted dog I have ever met. He was a brat, but the love he had for his family was the strongest I have ever felt. He was just too super for this world.
Live fast. Die young. That's just the way he rolled.
|08-29-2013 08:10 PM|
It's never an easy thing to day when it comes to letting our dogs go, whatever the circumstances may be..
I wish you much peace in what ever decision you make.
|08-29-2013 06:23 PM|
Late to the conversation, but I'll give my 2 cents worth regardless. There comes a time when the greatest love you have for your dog is shown in euthanasia. When you do it because it's going to end their pain, anguish, anxiety. And if you have a dangerous dog and love it do it the favor of putting it to sleep before someone is hurt and the decision is taken away from you. I'd rather sit with my hand on their shoulder than see them taken away knowing they don't know why and can't possibly understand.
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, I only read thru page 5. It just struck me that you shouldn't feel bad for doing the best you can for them.
|08-29-2013 04:08 PM|
I understand about the different breed/health situation. After owning several GSDs over the years, I have had my heart broken with some of the health problems that have plagued the breed. I've had one with severe fear/anxiety, one with severe OCD, one that had a massive heart attack and died in my husband's arms at age 7, and now my Raven, who just had half her lower mandible removed in May after being diagnosed with OS of the jaw - she just turned 8. She is doing well now, but it's so depressing sometimes. All of these dogs were from good breeding (different breeders, too). So far my mix is very healthy and happy, but when Raven's time comes, I think that I will adopt another rescue "mutt!"
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|