|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|11-19-2012 01:35 PM|
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
But I am going to start shopping around to find a vet that I'm on the same page as.
|11-19-2012 01:27 PM|
If you have options, I would call other vet practices and get quotes for a spay. The vet we chose ended up quoting about $200 less than the one we typically went to. Molly was spayed at 6 months because the vet said she would typically go into heat at 7 months. When he opened her up, she was already in heat, but had not displayed any signs/symptoms. Because of this her surgery ended up costing about $50 more, not a big deal for me as long as she was safe and healthy and would recover well.
I don't understand your vet's gloom and doom about spaying her if you wanted to do it soon?
|11-19-2012 01:13 PM|
How frustrating. I remember way way back when I had ferrets I had been to three different vets before I finally found one that really knew his stuff. He was great with ALL my animals.
And then he moved.
And then I searched and searched and searched .... until I found the fabulous holistic vet I have now.
Not sure if you can do what I did in your area ... I set up "interviews" with three different vets before I chose the one I'm with right now.
I had my views on what I wanted to do, and he had his experience, knowledge, etc. We had a great chat (yes, I paid for the visit!) for over an hour, and I was thrilled with being able to work "WITH" him and my dog, not against him.
I'm sorry for you, and I wish you luck in your search.
|11-19-2012 01:12 PM|
Originally Posted by gaia_bear View Post
|11-19-2012 01:07 PM|
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I'm currently talking to her about my next addition
|11-19-2012 01:02 PM|
That's how it is sometimes, sadly.
I work in a vet's office. Some of the techs bug me half the time to breed Koda, and half the time to spay her. I have no intentions of doing either right now. She is 2.5 yrs old and will NOT be bred. She just isn't breedworthy, as great a dog as she is.
But they pressure me more about spaying. One even told me that if she wasn't spayed by three years, she WOULD get cancer and it would kill her. Really? This was my coworker (luckily this particular tech was fired LMAO).
Just let it go in one ear and out the other. (: And yes, find a new vet
|11-19-2012 12:58 PM|
Good vets are so hard to find. I would definitely look around for a new one.
Hans says hello and that he would love to visit. I have this fantasy of bringing him back to his home and having him go to Robin's place.
|11-19-2012 12:49 PM|
My vet has been great, but her techs are really annoying. Every time I take him in, they harass me about getting him neutered, saying I've waited far too long, etc. It's gotten very annoying.
Also, I mentioned I was considering gastropexy, and they started sorta ganging up on me. Saying that was ridiculous and a waste of time and money and that the only dog they'd ever encountered or heard of bloating is a Great Dane, so I shouldn't worry about it.
Also, one of them made me put a muzzle on Gabe.
I won't lie, I've idly thought about slapping one of them. I think it would probably be very satisfying.
|11-19-2012 12:41 PM|
Time for a New Vet?
I'm still baffled, I took Gaia to the vet this morning to get her micro chipped and one of the first things the vet asked me is if I have any breeding plans for her because she's a very good looking dog. There's a few things wrong with this question especially coming from me vet 1) Gaia's a blue 2) She's from a BYB, no papers 3) She's still a fricken puppy. After I recovered and responded with the above reasoning, she told me I've waited too long to get her spayed and it was going to be very expensive if I ever decided to spay her. She's 8 months old, hasn't even had her 1st heat yet and I've waited too long?
(sigh) It was a long vet appointment.
On a different note Gaia weighed in at a healthy 62lbs, I thought she was getting "fat" but I was told I was worrying about nothing.