|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|08-26-2014 06:07 AM|
we were pretty lucky in that we had a winter pup so where we walked there were few other dogs. We started to take him to Schutzhund training at just before his third set of shots. Not only did we need to get him out and about more but we knew those folks were all up to date on their vaccinations and kept the grounds free from stool.
Hopefully you can find a safe place to play. You are right that it is important to get him out and about.
|08-26-2014 04:22 AM|
Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
|08-26-2014 04:17 AM|
Ditto. If your worried about socialising him but are limited options, talk to your friends and family who have dogs. Take your dog on visits to other peoples houses if possible with dogs that you know.
On a side note, I once knew a guy who never gave his dog any shots. Pretty crappy from my point of view but there was never any issues with the dog.
|08-26-2014 04:14 AM|
|Pax8||I get my pups started on walks immediately after I get them at 8 weeks. Yes, there is a risk of parvo, but that risk is not nearly as great as the risks you run of behavioral issues if you don't get them out and socialized. That doesn't mean you have to put your pup in obvious danger. Just be smart about where you walk him. Keep him away from dogs you don't know, away from high traffic dog areas (dog parks, places where dogs potty frequently), and away from any animal fecal matter (dog or other) which is largely where most virus and illness is shed.|
|08-26-2014 03:41 AM|
To walk now or wait for third Vacination
My boy has been cooped up, he is 13 weeks and has had 8wk and 12wk Vaccinations - I really need to get him socialized and wear him out with walks - but have been told its dangerous because we should wait for the third Vaccination in 3 more weeks, he is going stir crazy - we were even thinking of going away for a week to a dog friendly place where he can run wild - but were warned that if a lot of dogs have been there it could be a risk
Some people have told me its more important to get him out and about than the risk of Pavo etc - but that scares me - so what did you all do - wait for the third?