German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Neuter or not Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
06-25-2014 10:19 AM
shepherdmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post

I'll always find it funny, that the OP in these threads always seems to come to the same conclusion...don't do it. No one's ever been convinced that it's better to neuter.

Actually not true. I neutered Dude at 6 months. After a thread telling me not to do it.



Sent from Petguide.com Free App
06-25-2014 04:47 AM
Sabis mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
Well, studies on intact vs. "neutered" humans would say that hormones are quite important when it comes to behavior. Sure environment and personality make a difference, but violent crimes are almost always committed by men. A bull is very different from a steer.

And, no, not just "aggressive" breeds should be neutered. It makes sense for many dogs if you don't want to change your lifestyle by avoiding dog parks and spending a lot of time training your dog. Neutered males will go after an intact male regardless of breed, and regardless of breed, that male will often stand up for himself leading to a fight.

Also, prostrate problems are common in intact male dogs. Keeping a dog intact is not totally without health risks.

I am totally fine with someone keeping a male intact, I do. But I don't want to tell them it is all sunshine and rainbows. An intact male is more "animal" in general.
Bud is 12 and not neutered. Of my recent 3, hands down the easiest to manage. Working lines, high drive, independent and stubborn, but way less likely to react to a dog or human then either of the girls. Two years ago I said I would never keep an intact female in the house with him long term as it seemed to impact his hearing. Then I discovered that I couldn't have Shadow spayed. It really isn't that bad. A bit stressful for the dogs maybe, but tolerable. I am a grown up, aware of the cost of failed diligence. I keep them apart and keep eagle eyes on Shadow, no problem. I think neutering and spaying are largely a crutch for those who at least recognize in themselves a likelihood of irresponsible behavior. None of my bitches have ever been spayed before maturity and I have never had an oops litter. Looking at the way most pet owners manage their pets, I am all for the spay/neuter trend, but lets be real. It has little to do with the animals and lots to do with the humans that are unclear about responsibility for a living creature.
06-25-2014 02:27 AM
llombardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
They are having a litter because they WANT to have a litter. The number of oopses is probably the most skewed statistic out there.
I disagree with this. The number of dogs running the streets or in the shelters are not a product of oops litters, there are way to many out there. Dogs run away, get pregnant, get a dog pregnant and lots end up having the puppies on the street or in the shelter. It is ignorance amongst dog owner population.
06-25-2014 02:16 AM
KaiserandStella
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
The thing is. You can't save them and put them back. It is a final sort of thing. If you are wavering, you can think, "well, if it starts to become a problem, I can always do it then."
It is a very final sort of thing indeed. They won't be growing back in if you change your mind. I think it's important to take everything in to consideration. Looking at all the info from all sides of the spectrum (health, temperament, lifestyle etc) Doing your own research as well and deciding with 100% (non pressured) certainty what you will do.

About oopsie litters.. I think a large chunk of oopsies are probably planned oopsies. Not that most people are incapable of stopping their dog from breeding. It's more that deep down they don't really want to. They say they tried their best but really they got lax with watching their dog consciously or unconsciously so it would happen. They didn't care enough to stop it from happening because part of them wanted it to happen.
06-25-2014 12:12 AM
selzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Can't we consider training a dog to not react to their natural instinct to be dominant/fight for breeding rights..."removing some of the animal?"

Everyone seems to always know the exception to the rule, and want to debunk the myths. Yet the medical statistics...no one seems to question. No one talks about the dozens of dogs that were neutered early and didn't get cancer, weak bones, ect. But when it comes to temperament...we all know the exception to the commonly accepted knowledge.

Some dogs...you can train to not react to their need to dominate, others, good luck. I have one of those dogs. I've accepted it. And people need to know that they'll have to expect that, and that from real life experience, an intact animal has a much higher chance of having some sort of "not getting along with other dogs" issues.

I'll always find it funny, that the OP in these threads always seems to come to the same conclusion...don't do it. No one's ever been convinced that it's better to neuter. And like I said, we've had the oopies that people promised wouldn't happen. We whine and moan about poorly bred dogs, but we still convince people to keep their animals intact. We have no idea who these people are, but for some reason we "trust" that they'll do the right thing. Then in a few years they get a female, and then they have a litter.
They are having a litter because they WANT to have a litter. The number of oopses is probably the most skewed statistic out there.

The thing is. You can't save them and put them back. It is a final sort of thing. If you are wavering, you can think, "well, if it starts to become a problem, I can always do it then."

I encourage people not to spay/neuter. I am against it altogether. But, if someone chooses to spay or neuter, that is their decision, and they are entitled to it. I don't like making the blanket assumption that everyone is too irresponsible to manage an intact animal. It isn't all that hard, and all the boys I have ever had, have never been crazy with other male dogs, though I do not do dog parks.

However, if some yayhoo with a dog of the opposite sex, asks if you would be willing to breed your dog to his, then, if yours is intact, you have a choice to make. And some people are probably going to accept that offer with the promise of a puppy or for money. And if you alter, you can't be tempted.
06-24-2014 11:57 PM
martemchik Can't we consider training a dog to not react to their natural instinct to be dominant/fight for breeding rights..."removing some of the animal?"

Everyone seems to always know the exception to the rule, and want to debunk the myths. Yet the medical statistics...no one seems to question. No one talks about the dozens of dogs that were neutered early and didn't get cancer, weak bones, ect. But when it comes to temperament...we all know the exception to the commonly accepted knowledge.

Some dogs...you can train to not react to their need to dominate, others, good luck. I have one of those dogs. I've accepted it. And people need to know that they'll have to expect that, and that from real life experience, an intact animal has a much higher chance of having some sort of "not getting along with other dogs" issues.

I'll always find it funny, that the OP in these threads always seems to come to the same conclusion...don't do it. No one's ever been convinced that it's better to neuter. And like I said, we've had the oopies that people promised wouldn't happen. We whine and moan about poorly bred dogs, but we still convince people to keep their animals intact. We have no idea who these people are, but for some reason we "trust" that they'll do the right thing. Then in a few years they get a female, and then they have a litter.
06-24-2014 08:12 PM
counter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
Can anyone tell me what does hollistic vet mean in a real simple way ?
ho·lis·tic
hōˈlistik/
adjectivePhilosophy


adjective: holistic
  1. characterized by comprehension of the parts of something as intimately interconnected and explicable only by reference to the whole.
    • Medicine
      characterized by the treatment of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical symptoms of a disease.


06-24-2014 07:48 PM
lalachka
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserandStella View Post
I know many people that neutered young and still have male aggression issues. One of them being a relative. I'm sure there are other folks on here that have that problem as well. My relatives dog behaves just like an intact male is supposed to and he was neutered very young. While my dog was neutered way later and never had any issues.
maybe)))) just repeating what i read
06-24-2014 07:44 PM
KaiserandStella
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
supposedly, if you neuter by 6 months then it will. something i keep seeing online. not sure if it's true.
I know many people that neutered young and still have male aggression issues. One of them being a relative. I'm sure there are other folks on here that have that problem as well. My relatives dog behaves just like an intact male is supposed to and he was neutered very young. While my dog was neutered way later and never had any issues.
06-24-2014 07:42 PM
Ace GSD Can anyone tell me what does hollistic vet mean in a real simple way ?
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com