|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|05-01-2014 03:26 PM|
|Phantom||From the little I've read it is best to spay around 2-3. To me it just depends on you. I will be having Jinx spayed at 15 months, just because I have so many small sibling going in and out that I just know she would get out one day while I was at college and I'd rather do it a little early than her have a bunch of puppies.|
|05-01-2014 03:14 PM|
|my boy diesel||
Leaving the country in 2 weeks for a vaca, so hoping this doesn't happen while I am gone!
normally i would agree but it really kind of depends on where the dog will be
if left with family or friends then spay now
if boarded at a clinic where she will be supervised then perhaps wait
|05-01-2014 03:07 PM|
|LaRen616||I would personally wait until she is at least 12 months old to spay, 18 months would be better though. JMO|
|05-01-2014 03:03 PM|
|my boy diesel||there are some anecdotal things i think but i do not believe there is solid evidence to say one way or another|
|05-01-2014 03:00 PM|
|VailGirl||Thanks everyone for your comments. Still not sure what to do, but after talking to the vet, thinking of before the 1st heat. Question for you all though-has anyone experienced or come across comments about how aggression might be related to the hormonal cycle and spaying? Both my other dogs had huge aggression issues. If waiting to spay has any affect on aggression in a positive way, it would be well worth dealing with the cycle :-)|
|04-30-2014 09:22 AM|
|GSDkid||I'm very interested in this topic. Just posting so I can follow.|
|04-30-2014 01:41 AM|
|middleofnowhere||I was apprehensive about managing an intact female -- but I've found it not that difficult. I am waiting until she's five or nearly five to spay. (the info I used is probably in the above link). If she didn't have awful false pregnancies, I would be waiting even longer to spay.|
|04-30-2014 01:36 AM|
This is a really informative article that you should find interesting.
|04-30-2014 01:18 AM|
I am with gsdsar, and to wait for her to mature before spaying her. However, if you are unsure of taking on the responsibility of an intact female, then by all means have her fixed. It is better than an unwanted pregnancy.
I spayed my female when she was 4 years old, and she was ready to get back on schedule by the second day, post surgery. When I purchased her, her breeder recommended to spay her after 18 months old. I had a GSD as a teenager, and she was spayed after her first heat w/o any complications either. She lived a healthy life, apart from poor hips in her old age.
However, every dog is different and to reiterate, it is a personal decision based on your lifestyle and responsibility to an intact dog.
|04-29-2014 10:10 PM|
|my boy diesel||
it sounds like in your case it would be better to do it now than later
on the plus side many girls have had it before the first heat and have done fine immediately after (it is easier on their bodies to have it done pre-heat) and down the road
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|