German Shepherd Dog Forums - Reply to Topic

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Spay dilema - now or later? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
04-03-2014 09:04 PM
kjdreyer Thanks for all the replies. I think most of all this back and forth is me wishing there was a way to have surgery with zero risk!
04-03-2014 08:40 PM
SuperG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
I like to wait until dogs are at least 18 months old to spay/neuter, to attempt to avoid spaying too young and potentially risking health problems. This would put her spay in early May, at the earliest. So I personally would recommend waiting.

This is the wisdom which I have garnered from others in the know...such as Anubis_Star. Now that my bitch is 18 months, it has been suggested to wait even longer yet....I have no real intentions of breeding my bitch....strictly doing this for health and development reasons.

As far as kjdreyer's question....I have only read that a spay during heat can and has been done but it is not something which sounds optimum.

SuperG
04-03-2014 03:39 PM
Freestep It's normal for bitches to shed heavily a few weeks before heat. If you want her spayed before her first heat, keep the appointment for tomorrow. If you want to wait, wait until her first heat is finished, about a month or so after first onset of bleeding. It's really best to spay while the bitch is not in heat, but if she's not swollen or bleeding right now, you are probably okay doing it tomorrow.
04-03-2014 12:18 PM
Anubis_Star I like to wait until dogs are at least 18 months old to spay/neuter, to attempt to avoid spaying too young and potentially risking health problems. This would put her spay in early May, at the earliest. So I personally would recommend waiting.
04-02-2014 11:00 PM
kjdreyer
Spay dilema - now or later?

Jedda started her first heat on her first birthday, Nov 14, 2013. I had her spay/gastropexy scheduled for this Friday, 4/4. A month ago I started upping raw food, and cutting out kibble. She started shedding heavily about 3 weeks ago, but in the last two weeks, she's losing not just her undercoat, but patches of guard hairs as well. Her coat looks dull and rough - not her norm! I doubted it was due to switch to raw, as no ingredients were new, her diet is balanced, and appetite and poos are better than normal. But nothing else has been changed.

I took her in to my vet to see if he thought I should wait on the surgery, and he thought although her coat looked poor, she was clearly healthy on all other fronts, and left it up to me. I decided to change the date to April 18, as I really hope to avoid another heat, and we're getting close.

OK, sorry that was a lot of words! But here's my question: if this blow coat is due to an imminent heat, am I too close to her heat to proceed with the spay? If a heat can frequently occur 4-6 weeks after a major coat change/shed, that would put me 2-4 weeks from a heat cycle.

I've spoken to her breeder, who recommends waiting till this probable upcoming heat has passed. I will speak again to my vet tomorrow, and I will more than likely wait it out, as I trust my breeder's advice. I'm just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.

Thanks!

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com